MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2011 01:10 PM

Talking on the phone

sorethumb

Do other people here have a hard time talking on the phone? I avoid all social situations, and I actually am not sure if having a phone conversation qualifies as "social," but for some reason talking on the phone is one of the things I hate most. I only answer my phone if it's work-related or a close family member. I manage to make certain calls that are necessary and goal-oriented, but the WORST is when somebody calls to chat. I can't seem to make idle conversation and without the visual cues, I don't know what to say or how to respond. Does anybody else find this to be true for them?

02/11/2011 05:13 PM
ohfaithful

Post edited by: kildare56, at: 01/29/2012 02:14 PM

02/11/2011 07:01 PM
vickiem1124
vickiem1124  
VIP Member

YES

02/14/2011 10:48 AM
LemonLime

Never heard of this fermented kefir, but am actually very interested.

I will look it up!

02/14/2011 10:54 AM
LemonLime

I used to feel very unconfortable speaking on the phone, I just started doing it little by little and i am pretty good. BUT, when someone is talking and suddenly tells me, here talk to her/him, without me planning on it scares me and I show it in the sound of my voice that i am not confortable and do not wish to speak.

02/14/2011 01:54 PM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

I'm not a fan of speaking on the phone either ... I'm the worst at those unexpected phone conversations. It doesn't take very long for me to run out of things to say in a casual phone conversation. I always need to know the person very well beforehand to have any success at it. Plus my deep voice sort of freaks people out ... it's deeper than quite a few men's voices are. At least if I meet with someone face to face I can comment on the setting we're meeting at and hope it will snowball into a full story on their side.

02/15/2011 11:45 AM
inthishorizon

hahaha, I have the same problem, like I don't want to talk on the phone because I'm scared i might 'blank out' like always. And when its so sudden, its worse, oh and if its an old friend, its even worse.

02/16/2011 08:00 AM
fishgirl7
fishgirl7  

me too, if i don't know who is calling i let the call roll into voicemail. it's so much easier to not talk to people.not the right thing but i know i wont have an anxiety attack and can prepare my self to call the person back on my own terms when i feel ready.i hate this feeling!

02/16/2011 12:40 PM
inthishorizon

Gahhh!!! mee tooo!!!

02/16/2011 01:53 PM
BlueYoshi
BlueYoshi  
VIP Member

I'm prone to blanking out too. I always feel so stupid when I do something like that. I do almost all of my communication online or in person just so I don't make my heart race from phone anxiety. It was really limiting to talk to others when I didn't have internet access, but it's not so bad now.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved