MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/28/2009 07:51 PM

Hi Everyone new to this group

jenn36
jenn36  

My name is jenn. I have been smoking for many many years. This past February I had head/brain surgery. I asked my doc for the patch figuring that it would be a good time to quit. Well after 2 weeks and a ton of migraines I went back to smoking. Even my doc hesitantly agreed because of all that I was dealing with, the stress of quitting might of been to much.

I waited another month, tried the patch again (highest dose). I was still getting migraines. We couldn't tell if the migraines were from the surgery or from the patch so I stopped them again. I must admit it probably was a part of me not wanting to. So now 4 months after surgery I am trying again....

So with the patch I have been smoke free for 35 hours. I feel pretty bad, sitting and counting the hours. My husband is an ex-smaoker and completely understands and is supportive. He quit about 15 years ago. I have a mental list of why I am doing this, and repeat them in my head when cravings get tough.

1)Myself my health

2)my husband and children

3) and finally I will take the money I would have spent on cigs and put it aside for a vacation for my family next summer.

I just pray I can succeed with this.

Thanks for listening,

Jenn

06/28/2009 08:04 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

Good for you Jenn. Have you considered trying other things like gum, lozenges, inhalers, etc?

06/28/2009 08:27 PM
jenn36
jenn36  

I tried cigarest(I don't know if we can mention brands) the pills. They intensified my cravings severely. But I definatley will look into the items you mentioned. I haven't gotten any migraines ( knock on wood) with the patch, so I want to find something to use in conjunction with it.

Thanks,

Jenn

06/28/2009 08:40 PM
jenn36
jenn36  

I just threw away my ashtray.... Last time I tried to quit I had left an extra pack hidden in a draw for "just in case I failed" And I did. Sothis time I have no cigs here and now threw out one of my two ashtrays. Maybe I'll throw the other one out now.

06/28/2009 09:49 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

It's fine to mention brands, and I actually haven't heard of that one. I love the name, pharm companies are getting so clever in their naming lately! It def. helps to take away temptation. One time I really wanted to quit so I threw my cigs away, and then I ended up taking them back out again. The garbage was just paper so that wasn't gross, but the fact that I actually did that made me feel "owned". I've done other sad things like that. Meds worked best for me, but the gum worked pretty well too!

06/30/2009 08:26 PM
jenn36
jenn36  

Cigarest is not a pharm. drug. It's supposed to be all natural. Unfortunately that didn't work. But back on patch- so 3 1/2 days smoke free. But hell I am up all hours of the night now. I have fibromyalgia, chiari malformation, PTSD, anxiety and depression so my meds have a few sleepy ones. Nope Nada Zilch for now. I am like a newborn with my days and nights confused. That wouldn't be an issus if I didn't have children. Fatigue comes with fibro. Now not sleeping is causing boring days for my kids. UGH!!

07/01/2009 11:20 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

I'm glad the patch is working for you. Keep it up!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved