MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2011 08:11 PM

day 1

debhurts
debhurts  

hi i smoked 2 butts and i am crawling out of my skin but i am going to do it, i feel anxiety ,anger,on the edge and relieved all at the same time. so is anyone else on day 1 or have achieved for longer, do you wish to share your experience with us to help, i would really appreciate it, does this get easier???? I would love to know whay no one will write each other here that what a support group does, oh well at least i can say this sux and i never want to have to do this again.So if you are brave enough to share your experience with me i would love to hear it, thanks debiSideways

01/18/2011 08:36 PM
margie513

Hi Deb

It is Margie i am on day 23 without a cigarette, YES it is hard, I got so scared i stopped, lots of health problems, My dad just dying from COPD, and pumanery fiberosery,Seeing him suffer and still smoked, Got sick went to er and was told i had copd, well i am boarderline my lungs are 81% ,and there are lots of other thing going wrong with me, I put my life in to God, and he is helping me, Life is getting better, everyday, alittle at a time, We are moving so i have no help, just do what i can and then sit down, back, knee and neck hurting and i have to do breathing treatments, I know now, The only one i can relie on is myself, If someone offers to help me that is great, But i have to depend on myself

hope you are doing better

Hugs MargieWink

01/19/2011 08:30 PM
debhurts
debhurts  

Hi amrgie i have to start over i found 3 packs of cigarettes and i couldn't fight it.I am very disappointed in myself i know how bad i want to be smoke free! So iwll smoke thes then start the patch it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be so i know what is ahead of me, i really am so disappointed i did that they were in a duffle sak i had in my room, i found them and all bets were off, i will resume in 3 days i have a migrane from smoking so it isn't so wonderful that i found them i feel terrible, so i am paying the price dearly and i was doing so good, oh well i must forgive myself and move on, and start over the cycle has been broken and i know i wont loose my mind if i quit, it is really difficult though how long did you smake and how difficult on a scale of 1 to 10 was the first week? i appreciate you answering me, i am relly glad to see that someone was listening to me, i can't tell you how much it means to me, mabey we will get a GL out of this, we need a group leader so bad here, much Love and thank You, Debi

01/20/2011 04:31 AM
margie513

So you had a throw back, and found some cigarettes, That is the past now, Just try to live for today, The 1 st week is hard, you have to find things to do, say like when you wake up and have coffee and cig, instead, take a walk do some thing else, i am going to a smoking class 2 also helps me, even thou i have done this 2 other times, I made up my mind, I live for today and today i choose not to smoke Smile I will be on later, check your local health dept see if they have the classes, also 1-800 Quit now ,can send free patches or gum for 1 month and lots of helpful papers, Big Hugs

03/03/2011 04:38 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

I made up my mind to quit on March 14th (2010!) and quit on March 20th! Was it easy? Well, no but it wasn't the hardest thing I have ever had to do! That was having to tell my family that I have emphysema!!! I changed my perspective by reading quitsmokingonline.com, whyquit.com and The Easy Way by Allen Carr!!! Hold on!!! I am not a spammer! I have nothing to sell! I'm just telling you the truth! I realized that I am a nicotine ADDICT! So I went through 3 days of being uncomfortable (cold turkey) and then opened myself up for change! Addicts use to hide their true selves! So now my true self could come out from under that smoke cloud! I absolutely do not want a cigarette at all no matter what!!! I do have physical memories when my body says - where is that nicotine? But that's it! My answer is I don't do that any more! So I choose to do XXXX instead! My choice because I'm FREE! Addiction FREE!

03/03/2011 02:22 PM
mjk5309

it has been a few hours, day 1, 2 or maybe 3 hours since i got home, and haven't smoked a cigarette since i got in the house. i had some nicotine gum from when i tried to quit many times before, i think this time... i am going to start out on the gum, maybe get the patch if the gum doesnt help as much. and use the gum for the real bad cravings. i have had 3 pieces of gum in those 3 hours, but i guess this is the tip of the ice-berg. i am waiting til i get my income tax refund to get my patches, so we shall see what a week has in store for me, i think i am really going to do it this time, i am taking a drug & alcohol dependency class (for a college degree, not a court ordered one) and we are going over tobacco in this chapter we're reading right now. i havent opened the book yet, but i think it will help me keep my decision, i am building myself up every day will be a better day, i think. i know it will be hard, it has been hard in the past when i have quit for extended periods of time, but this is it. congrats to all of you who have accomplished what you have!!! i have 3 hours @ the max, lol. gotta start somewhere tho. i guess each minute counts, as it takes seven minutes to smoke a cigarette, it takes a second, to light one, and it takes no time to NOT do it!!!!!GL to everyone in this group. Smile

take care,

megan

03/04/2011 06:17 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

Good Start, Megan! You're right! In the beginning it Is about taking it one minute at a time and keeping those cigs away from your face!!! Having a Positive Attitude can help mak that possible!!! Enjoy Your Smoke FREE Day!

Post edited by: ThomasHope, at: 03/04/2011 06:17 AM

03/04/2011 08:47 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

There is so much you can do for yourself, Margie!!! You can have a full and productive quality life with some lifestyle changes! NO. 1 is quit smoking NOW! And you CAN do this!!! Don't lose any more lung capacity due to smoking! let me know if I can help!

03/06/2011 11:09 PM
ComingUndone
ComingUndone  

I had a very hard time quitting, and I ultimately quit because the medication I was on for my bipolar disorder made me averse to cigs. I still wanted them and even tried to smoke but the meds made them taste bad and make me feel sick. It does get easier and you still get cravings but they get fewer and far between. When I got the cravings I would eat ice cream instead Smile As far as over the counter smoking deterrents, the gum worked best for me.

Humans slip sometimes, and just because you smoked again doesn't mean that you've failed. If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

EDIT: P.S. I quit in December 2008

Post edited by: ComingUndone, at: 03/06/2011 11:17 PM

03/11/2011 04:16 AM
ThomasHope
ThomasHope  

So true! The only thing that counts is Today! Don't look back except to analyze what you are missing from your quit tool box! Then just focus on Today! Today I choose not to smoke even one puff NO MATTER WHAT!

The sages do not consider that making no mistakes is a blessing. They

believe, rather, that the great virtue of man lies in his ability to

correct his mistakes and continually make a new man of himself.

-- Wang Yang-Ming (1472-1529) Chinese Philosopher

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved