MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2011 12:19 PM

hi i am new and i need help

debhurts
debhurts  

Hi my name is Debi and i am a smoker , i just found out my pelvis is fractured and my SI joint is broken into 4 pieces, i will probably face surgery, and i know smoking wont help me heal, could someone help me, they would give me the patch at the hospital and i need the extra help i am 55 smoking since 18, so i am hooked bad, i am addicted big time probably, so any help will be appreciated, love Debi

01/13/2011 06:19 AM
youyou80
youyou80  

Hey deb! It's a mind over matter thing as well as an addiction problem. You really have to WANT to quit in order to be successful. I've made it several weeks at a time before but have always started back for some reason. I am just now on day two again.

But I used the patch the first couple of times and I think it works great. It helps with the physical symptoms of withdrawal...the headache, moodiness, etc.... But I've found that once you make it a few days/weeks without actually smoking a cigarette it becomes easier to wean yourself off the nicotine in the patch. For me the hardest part of quitting was just because it was "something to do" and now I have to find other things to fill that time.

Stay strong and develop a good support system. A good support system will be your best friend. I quit cold turkey this time with no help from a nicotine aid. I've been smoking for 12 years and decided that enough is enough. The headaches have not been fun but I figure they will go away in a week or so.

Hang tight. If you need anything feel free to PM me. Best of luck......

Lou

01/14/2011 05:06 AM
debhurts
debhurts  

Thank you Lou, i appreciate the support, i am awaiting the dr today to let me know if i go to a surgeon, i have a bronen joint between hip and pelvis and a fracyured pelvis, so i need to quit so i can heal, i have a few packs left then it's over i have to do it for me i am tired of being a slave to cigs. I smoke with my eyes shut, so it is time, past time, much love Debi. hang in there cute cb07c8b9edbcc9abb91b60128cd1e392

01/14/2011 09:10 PM
debhurts
debhurts  

hi i dont have to have surgery my quit date is when i run out of cigarettes, so i am using the patches, i will do it for me, no one else, i have a pushy husband to get me to quit but i made up my mind i still have fractures and they wont heal unless i quit, but most of all i dont want to die from smoking i cough terrible so hard my face turns purple, enough is enough anyone have any pointers i have had 1 letter of support, and i am grateful for that, so any more hints will be appreciated, much Love debi determination quote 2c127a16f4511f2ad1d8177d1e0e8313

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved