MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/02/2009 04:44 PM

Head Rush(page 2)

chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Survivor's a good word I reckon. I keep telling my friends that I am going to get a tattoo of a camel becasue camels survive in the desert and I'm a survivor to. You're right I was up late last night. I have issues with one of my sisters who is an alcoholic with all the behaviour that goes with it. Just trying to keep boundaries in place but very hard sometimes and quite embarrassing in public as well. Anyway all good today. Do you sometimes just dread the night coming cause you know what a battle it is going to be? I think it's especially bad when I'm in hospital. Just hate it.

08/04/2009 07:11 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Chrissie I do dread it sometimes because I don't look forward to the exhaustion all the time.. I even get anxiety over it and I wonder sometimes if this is not making it worse, so lately I've been putting myself into a relaxed state of mind before bed and it does help.. I've been meditating and it's working somewhat..

Eweneek that is to bad that you were found allergic to the mask.. That has got to be driving you nuts that you have something you can't do anything about because of it.. I have one of those nasal ones to and it works pretty good actually but it still drives me nuts so I don't wear it, I'm not using my cpap at all at this point..

08/05/2009 06:48 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Eweneek how did you get the diagnosis of vasomotor rhinitis? I ask this because I looked it up and I have a friend that goes through exactly what the description is only hers would be the allergic one.. It doesn't sound to good tho and a pain in the rear, I get claustrophobia extremely bad I can't stand to wear anything on my head either, it's been pooring down rain and I have been known to just let my head get wet cuz I refuse to bring an umbrella, even if I have a hoodie on lol

08/06/2009 01:01 AM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Hey Guys

Been awake since 4am last night and the night before. Considering I am taking Stilnox you'd think I'd get a bit more sleep. gonna talk to my dr tomorrow and also talk to her about the head rushes. I'll let you know what she's says.

08/06/2009 06:50 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

I'm going to have to tell my friend that she should have her doc look at that for sure Eweneek..

Chrissie that is crazy girl!! Have are you trying to keep yourself awake maybe because you are scared of the paralysys?

08/07/2009 12:01 AM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Just been a hard week at work and with my sister. You know how things just go round and round in your head I should say this, do that and you never do it anyway. I have been thinking about the SP thing and hoping this book I ordered from the States will really help. Slept better last night though so that's good. I copied what you had said about the head rushes to take to my Dr but she was sick so I can't see her til next week. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for caring. It really matters to me. Thanks hon

08/07/2009 07:54 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Chrissie it's been my pleasure hon!! Do let us know what the doc says k? it's funny but I never think our doctors get sick they aren't supposed to lol! Glad to hear that you got a little better sleep! It makes a huge difference for the next day when that happens that is for sure.. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you again soon!!

08/17/2009 09:23 PM
CaptainTaco

This is my first post... Please excuse the length, and the spelling, I do not have word installed, and do not feel like spell checking it by hand, I'm sure I made mistakes, both spelling and grammar, I'm also sure I'd notice them when going back, but I'm more sure that it is not important, and it is the story that is. Please read, I'm sure you'll find something of interest. at the time of writing this I have not slept much at all in the last week, and have not slept properly since I was 15... so understand any shortcommings. The time is now 12:30am here.

Chrissie... I want to cry right now... You're the first person I've encountered that described what I go through on a consistant basis to the T. Tonight in particular I am to terrified to even want to go to sleep. I began with what you described back in highschool (age 17). I am now 22, and over the last year it has increased in intensity. I had never questioned it untill recently and in specific last night. I have now spoken with several friends involved in Psycosis in attempt to descover what I am going through... In the last year I have been through 4 doctors, been through countless exams and tests, including MRI, Catscan, EKG, EEG, Nerve Tests, and shrink... None of which can tell me whats going on medically. Nothing is wrong with me says every test.

Well, as I said, I USED to experience what you described. However, it's no longer that simplistic, yes I used to become paralyzed exactly as you described, yes I would be completelly alert, be able to look around the room, except nothing was out of place, nothing was different, and I wouldn't "SEE" anything in the room, no devil, no spirit, no gremlins... I would just feel, feel a singular solitary presence... I would feel as though I needed to defend myself, I needed to be able to move because there was something there, whether I could see it or not. And then finally I would move, and the feeling would pass.

Then at the age of 18-19 I started getting head rushes during the day, then more frequent, then at the age of 20 I had my first incident. A head rush that became so intense it actually paralyzed me itself, disoriented and unable to move I would collapse to the ground, slowly without injury, at which time I felt as though I was seizuring, though I was not, I would regain control seconds later. The first time scared the crap out of me, then i became used to the episodes. As I said, I then saw a doctor regarding this... many doctors...

Now about a year ago something new happened, and has been happening since. up untill last night, of which I will get to shortly... During this year I would go into a state of paralysis during sleep, as usual, however instead of the normal attempt at moving to wake myself, as I know i am asleep every time, I'm completelly aware, I need to see nothing to tell me I'm asleep, I have always known I was asleep during this time. Instead of this attempt at movement, a headrush like feeling would come on, unusual to experience when not changing position or standing up from a laying postion. The headrush would come just as it would during the day, and then grow in intensity, finally a feeling of several more intense headrush symptoms would "pulse" through my entire body, almost as if something is trying to push through me, it's the best way I can describe it. Terrifying is the best way I can explain it. The common feeling of a presence ever present.

Last night changed everything. Up untill last night a few things remained consistant. They are as follows; I would remain paralyzed untill I awake, the point of view during this paralysis as I looked around my room would not change as I finally awoke, I would always be staring at the EXACT same location as I was during the paralysis, and everything in the room would look exactly the same during the incident, as well as when I awoke, even if i was in a room i am not familiar with. This would happen in hotels, friends places, outdoors, anywhere, places I shouldn't be able to make a mental picture of, and yet I do, and I make it exactly as it is in real life. Another thing that remained consistant was the feeling of a singular presense, as though someone was in the room with, someone, or something.

Now last night it changed again, for the worse... I should start this with an odd incident with my cat. My Cat, whom sleeps with me every night, woke me in the night, of which I oddly fell asleep without issue, she awoke me around 12:45, by jumping out of bed crying, she cried quite loudly while running out of my room, and into the room at the far end of the hall for several minutes. I paid no mind to this, and attempted to fall back asleep, not 15 minutes later this happened... Another paralysis experience, although I was not in the same perspective as I lay, as with all the other incidents, I was downstairs, and I was looking up the stairs, the same feeling, alert, awake, paralyzed, no longer was there a single presence, there were several, many. The same thing, the headrush came on, then 4 or 5 pulses through my whole body, feeling much like a significantly amplified headrush, then suddenly i was in my bed, and I sat straight up, terrified, no idea what just happened, and then I actually awoke, in the same postion, the same spot on the bed, and "ACTUALLY" sat straight up, still terrified, only this time as the feeling of someone in my room always disapated, it now remained, it now remains, I still feel it here, even now as I type. I am afraid to lay down, I'm afraid to fall asleep, I'm afraid to talk about it, and I'm terrified that doctors can not find a medical explanation. I know you all believe there is a medical explanation, and I would love to find one... I'm not a religious person, I'm agnostic, I don't... didn't believe in afterlife, in spirits, I'm not supersticious, and I have no fear of death... however as this goes on, as it intensifies, i'm feeling less closed minded... I'm not saying I think I'm being haunted, or I'm "connected" with spirits... I'm saying I'm terrified and nobody can provide an explanation. I'm not looking for answers, I'm just looking for someone to understand, someone to talk to, that has experienced something similar... and in your case, exactly what I have experienced or used to. I wish I could go back to the days where all I experienced was the common sleep paralysis... what you experience... because while I didn't fear that... I fear this... more than I fear death itself...

Post edited by: CaptainTaco, at: 08/17/2009 09:32 PM

08/17/2009 11:30 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry. If it helps you I used to be terrified to. I had all kind of tests. I had to have a sleep deprived test where I was awake for 24 hours and then tested for epilepsy. Nothing. They told me I had a perfect brain. Once I knew I had sleep paralysis I thought it would all change but it doesn't. I still have episodes and whilst I am aware of what it happening it doesn't bring me out of it any quicker and I still try to fight it. Most people who experience SP always talk about another presence or being. The two things that I have read which really can cause problems are insomnia and trying to stay awake to avoid an episode. It just makes it worse. I took part in a sleep study survey and I am copying below the details of who I contacted because this place seems to have an understanding of what we go through. They really helped me and I hope that can help you to. I am a christian and I do believe in God honey so I will be praying for you and hope these people can help you. Please let me know how you are going and if you need to talk about anything.

For further information, or if you have any questions, please contact Dr. Al Cheyne at acheyne@watarts.uwaterloo.ca, Dr. Dan Smilek at dsmilek@watarts.uwaterloo.ca, or Jonathan Carriere at jcarrier@watarts.uwaterloo.ca. Alternatively, we can be reached by mail at:

Department of Psychology

University of Waterloo

Waterloo, Ontario

Canada

N2L 3G1

08/18/2009 11:10 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My heart goes out to the two of you. I've read about this before, but I didn't remember what it's called. It sounds absolutely petrifying.

I hope you both find relief Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved