MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/19/2008 06:44 AM

how long to get used to it?

TeainTN
TeainTN  

i've had my cpap machine for a year but i haven't been able to wear it much because it keeps me awake. i wear the mask, it is better for me than the nose thing. I can't stop thinking about my breathing while i'm wearing it and i have even MORE trouble going to sleep than i usually do. i end up laying there in bed for a hour before i finally take it off. Sad

01/19/2008 06:47 AM
singingangel

I try to just let it relax me. Try not to think of it as your breathing. Just let yourself relax and fall asleep.

01/19/2008 06:58 AM
TeainTN
TeainTN  

I've tried that, i just can't. I have a lot of trouble sleeping anyway. Sad i may try tonight and take something to help me relax. i wonder if after a couple of weeks it will feel more naturalBlink

01/19/2008 07:16 AM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hey Tea, you just have to force yourself to get use to it, when you get your first good nights sleep, you will wonder why you took so long to do it, are you starting your machine off on the highest setting? if so you need to start it off more slowly, the button on the far side of the machine from the on/off button will start it up slowly and build up the pressure over a period of time.

01/19/2008 06:23 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

one of the things they told me was to force myself to breath through my nose and not my mouth at first that was hard but then as I started thinking about keeping my mouth closed and breathing in through the nose it became rhytmic and helped me to fall alseep. Carmen is right about the step therapy button. it starts out much slower so you don't feel like your getting blasted and it helps to get used to it. You have to keep at it everynight to get comfortable even if you end up taking it off start with it on everynight and try until you feel more comfortable. In additon to the links Carmen posted about reordering parts in the "What works for you" thread I posted a link that shows all the different types of masks and things maybe you should look at switching again to a different one until you find what works for you

01/19/2008 09:23 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Hey Tea, have you talked with your doctor about your sleep issues? is there a reason that you have trouble sleeping? besides the apnea? I have diabetes, in addition to the apnea, so it tends to interfere with my sleep.

If your finding that you are waking up with a dry mouth, odds are that you are having your mouth open while you are sleeping, they make chin straps that will help to hold your mouth shut during the night, you can also get full face masks that cover the mouth and nose..

Snoopy is right about the needing to use it every night, I took I would say a good three weeks to get comfortable with mine, and that was every night use.. for about the first two weeks, I would wake in the morning with the mask either at the end of the bed, or on the floor where I had taken it off during the night and threw it..lol..

But once I got use to it? the difference in my energy level, my moods everything changed, I wasn't wore out after sleeping for 14 hours, I had the energy to get up, go to work and actually be able to do something after work besides crawl back into bed..

If you don't make a solid attempt to get use to it, you will never know what it can do for you..

01/23/2008 01:38 PM
TeainTN
TeainTN  

thanks guys this is what i needed to hear especially the "even if you end up taking it off" because that is what was happening. so i just stopped wearing it. I had two sleep studies done and the findings where i have sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome and i have fibromyalgia which monkeys around with everything. I have the step button and i have new hope that i will eventually use it every night. I really needed to hear someone say that they felt much better and saw a big difference by using it consistantly.

tell me more success stories -- i need inspiritation!

01/23/2008 07:59 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

I have to say yes mine is a success story. i feel a definate diffenrence in my pain as well as fatigue with out the machine even once you really get used to the machine there will still be times you will take it off in your sleep or have a rough night with it. a couple weeks ago I woke up so tangled in my tubing I almost knocked everything off my nightstand. I haven't done that in forever.

01/23/2008 09:32 PM
carmen33
carmen33  
VIP Member

Snoopy you sound like me especially when I first got it...I toss and turn alot, and would end up feeling like I was strangling myself with it, Thank God for the swivel on the face mask, I have learned over the years to move the hose without waking myself..lol..

Tea, it is really important that you use the machine and use it nightly, it will honestly make a difference in how you feel, are you taking meds for the RL? they have something out now that might help.

01/24/2008 06:35 AM
singingangel

I am finding it is helping me with my asthma. I have had 2 days w/o hubby bothering me since he is on business trip. I have made it all through the night both nights. I used to wake up whezzing. I am able to get up and get my meds, etc. I just need to use my inhaler before I go out in the cold with my doggies. I have found it seems to have deactivate the tender point in my chest also. I hope you get used to it Tea. It is different way of sleeping but it really helps us. Carmen is right about the restles leg. There are meds for that. They will help you stay asleep also.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved