MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/31/2010 11:29 PM

Can Barely Sleep

LeahMariex3
LeahMariex3  
I'm an Advocate

Even when I take sleeping-aid pills, my medicine that basically induces drowsiness, and laying down hasn't been so effective these past few days. I do get to sleep after several hours of staying awake.

I think it's because of a lot of things going on in my life lately. Thinking about them as I lie down stresses me pretty quickly. Yet I don't know how to suppress the thoughts. Any ideas?

Maybe also look into stronger anxiety medication. Won't be able to see someone for another month though.

06/07/2010 10:35 AM
Kgrin
Kgrin  

Leah when I get really stressed out I have a tendency to meditate it really does work for me especially with the stress, there are a ton of good books out there these days that you can get that will help, I also will play the cd's that have the nature sounds, especially the water falls and that type of thing as anything water seems to calm me down that way.. I hope that you will find something that helps and definitely talk to your doctor too.. Take care..

Kerri

06/09/2010 03:41 PM
fairlanelady
fairlanelady  

I had the same thing, even before sleep apnea. My mind wouldn't turn off. Even Nyquil took hours to work. It got much better after I was diagnosed with food allergies and quit eating certain things. Also, I've been going to yoga classes since October, and that's helped a LOT. I go to sleep much faster now, and sleep through the night.

06/10/2010 07:24 AM
cicero28374
cicero28374  
I'm an Advocate

Its quite common to learn that exercise, during the day, not just before bed time, solves a fair amount of insomnia.Good for you and keep it up.

Cicero

06/15/2010 07:47 AM
fairlanelady
fairlanelady  

I like yoga because it's a package deal. You get exercise, you learn breathing techniques - and with sleep apnea, your body gets low on oxygen in general, so I figure that's good. Plus you learn relaxation/sleep/meditation; you "train" your body to go into a dreamlike state when you lie down. Like Pavlovian training, almost. I've even fallen asleep and started snoring a couple of times right in yoga class, at the end during savasana (meditation)! The other day the yoga teacher had to come by and wiggle my toe to wake me up.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved