MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/08/2009 08:43 PM

Echinacea and autoimmune disorders(page 2)

janquito
janquito  

A book I'd bought from Barnes and Noble (a bargain book $6.98) called, Guide to Drugs and Supplements, says under Echinacea, If you're taking antibiotics, or other drugs for an infection, use echinacea in addition to, not as a replacement for, those medications. Echinacea can overtinulate the immune system and may worsen symptoms of lupus, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other autoimmune disorders. It may also be counterproductive in progressive infections such as tuberculosis. If you are allergic to plants in Asteraceae or Compositae family (ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies), you should us caution due to severe allergic reactions.

Green Tea:

Is very safe as both a supplement and as a beverage. People who are sensitive to caffeine, however, may not want to drink too much because each cup contains about 40 mg of caffeine.

The caution is Use with caution if you have high blood pressure, psychiatric disorders, prostate cancer, gastrointestinal disorders, osteoporosis, glaucoma, bleeding disorders, liver impairment, or kidney disease. If you have a medical condition or are taking medications or other supplements, talk to your doctor before taking supplements. One thing it says is it may inhibit tooth decay! yeah!

Also, Green tea's main antioxidant (EGCG) is 100 times more powerful than vitamin C and 25 times more potent than vitamin E in protecting DNA from the kind of damage thought to increase cancer risk.

Just thought I'd share,

Janet

03/20/2010 10:17 PM
Lanegirl

Hi, I read that because echinacea (and zinc) are autoimmune BOOSTERS people with autoimmune diseases should avoid them. I'm not a medico, just an autoimmune sufferer.

05/06/2011 08:50 PM
Dreamers
DreamersPosts: 198

I know this post is old but just wanted to thank you for the information. It will help me to be careful and not go through the same trial and error.

05/11/2011 07:10 AM
gemini2
gemini2  

Thanks for the info, I've never heard this before. Good to know for us with autoimmune disorders... Smile

05/21/2011 10:11 AM
owllover99

I would go with Grapefruit Seed Exract in juice (I'm hardcore I use water). But I think my hubby has found something that really helps. It's called nutriferon from Shaklee (no, I'm not a dealer or anything). Now it doesn't like help your immune system per se like the herbs, but it helps the interferon that your body makes. I've been taking it maybe 2 1/2 weeks and I can see the difference. It's expensive $39 a bottle but it really helps. Oh, yes, I have Sjogren's, plus ok scalp psorasis bipolar hypothyroid because of bipolar medicine have tardive dyskensisa because of wrong bipolar medicine irritable bowel syndrome oh yeah I have migraines and my toes tingle but that's from Sjogren's. I had to retire 4/30/11 because I was sick all the time. But my therapst said I didn't need to come see him anymore because I guess my mind was doing so good (ha ha). I hope everyone finds help. It's real frustrating Sjrogren's. And I was in bad pain for a long time. Then my rummy put me on predsidsone and now I'm really fat.But I can walk. Before I couldn't. Anyway like Mick Jagger said "What a drag it is getting old." (If anyone remembers that.) Thanks for listening.

05/21/2011 07:29 PM
Dreamers
DreamersPosts: 198

This will boost you immune system NOT good for sjogrens.Doesnt your symptoms from sjogrens get worse?

05/22/2011 05:28 PM
owllover99

My symptoms from Sjogren's has not gotten worse from taking it. In fact, I was having a lot of problems with my sinuses and it quit. It doesn't work like echineca (not spelled right) or other immune boosters. You might Google it and find out how it works. Yeah, I was taking E. and goldenseal every day till I found out it wasn't good for me. I'm not recommending it to anyone because everyone is different. All I know it helps me some. And I've had sinus trouble all my life.

05/30/2011 11:23 PM
grammy3

fivefishes, I want to thank you for the info on Echinacea. I haven't used Echinacea for awhile now but my husband uses it and it helps some. I am also always looking for natural things I can do to help me with SS.

Right now I am fighting a battle with my 2nd round of pnemonia and I on Predsone, which I hate taking but it helps with my breathing so I have to take it for a couple of weeks. I am also on antibotics for the next couple of weeks and puffers and so on, so I am hoping to feel much better in a couple of weeks. I have a lung Disease that causes me to be very susecptual to pnemonia and colds and I am not a smoker at all. Go figure!!

I am also getting Laser Treatment for my hips and for my headaches and I find is helping quite a bit. I am also getting Acupuncture(wrong Spelling) every 2 weeks.

Thank you again for the info.

I really like this site for the way we can share with each other and help each other.

Thanks again,

grammy3

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved