MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/14/2009 01:27 PM

Plaquenil and Hair Coloring

Rhonda1959
Rhonda1959  

I had a funny experience with Plaquenil and the hairdresser yesterday! I always get high and low lites and yesterday was no different. The hairdresser used the very same formula she has used the past several times. Imagine both our surpise when my hair was as red as Lucille Ball's! She was able to put a toner on it and take most of the red out, but it was scary for a few minutes!

I came home and checked the Internet and found that Plaquenil does indeed change your hair color- and the chemicals can cause your hair to turn red!

Just wanted to share this with anyone else thinking of coloring their hair! Thank goodness, I had a good outcome and my hairdresser was able to fix it!

06/14/2009 06:52 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Wow, I'm glad she could fix it. It wouldn't have been fun walking around with that bright of hair. I wasn't able to take the Plaquenil, I hope you are and that it helps you.

06/14/2009 07:49 PM
chanberg
chanbergPosts: 24

I guess it's too late for me...or just in time...but I'm laughing a big belly laugh. All my life I've wanted red hair--even to the point of my best friends in high school calling me 'Red.' I just finished coloring my own hair when I sat down to catch up on today's posts and read this! The color I use is called 'medium reddish brown' so I do expect red. I've been on Plaquenil for over a year but this same color for about 5 years. At least I think it's the same...maybe I am more red! LOL!! So, Sjogrens gave me lots of issues I don't want to deal with....on the other hand, I finally got my red hair!

Rhonda, welcome to the forum. You will find support here from people who truly understand. Take the time to read through the posts. There's lots of good information. I'm sure you'll relate to a lot of our stories. Take care!

06/14/2009 09:23 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Rhonda,

Thanks for letting us know about Plaquenil and hair coloring.

I don't take Plaquenil, but my hair did the same thing! I looked like Lucy and Bozo's love child!

I'm wondering if having Sjogren's changes our body chemistry somehow because it is an autoimmune disease, because that's two of us now that's been affected!

Anybody else want to chime in on this one? I find it quite interesting.

Fortunately, I went to a hairdresser who knew what to do and actually brought my hair back to its original color (without the grey).W00t

SonniWink

06/15/2009 03:25 PM
Rhonda1959
Rhonda1959  

Chanberg,

I am glad you finally got your red hair! I knew I was in "trouble" when I heard my hairdresser gasp as she was rinsing my hair! LOL!!!!

I will be going back to my natural hair color I beleive. I am not taking any more chances!!! Tongue

06/15/2009 03:27 PM
Rhonda1959
Rhonda1959  

Sonni, That is interesting. I too wonder if it's the SJS causing the hair color change? I do know even before I was taking the Plaquenil my hairdresser was complaining that each visit my hair was changing colors. When she first noticed it, she thought she had made a mistake when noting my natural color, but it kept changing, so I know it had something to do with me. And as I said that was before the Plaquenil.

I too would be interested to hear what everyone else has to say about this!

06/16/2009 12:27 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I don't usually color my hair but was thinking about getting some drastic highligting done this summer. You have me scared now. I sure don't want red. I don't know whether to try it or not. I'm a dark brunette and I haven't changed. I think I might have a few grays but not enough that you can really even notice so I haven't colored. I'm scared off of getting my high lights now, though. I wonder if I should try it or not.....

06/16/2009 03:15 PM
Rhonda1959
Rhonda1959  

I think I am going to just let my hair go natural. I am scared to try to do it again!

06/16/2009 04:12 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I know what we could do!!! It just came to me. You've heard of the Red Hat Club? We could all just go ahead and do it and we could be The Red Hair Club? What do you think? LOL

06/16/2009 08:44 PM
fivefishes
fivefishes  

lol, I use henna on my hair to make it more red. I kinda like it bright. Wink It was red as a new penny when I was little. Was kinda titian blonde most of my life, then turned a darker brown after head surgery in 2007... when it wasn't shaved. Now it looks dull if I don't henna it. Unfortunately, the henna won't take on my eyebrows, so they're white from the plaquenil. And yep, it's related to the Plaquenil, not the Sjogren's, from what I've read.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved