MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2012 06:22 PM

Plaquenil

paperbagprin
paperbagprinPosts: 102

I have a few questions, I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions.

I thought I'd quickly introduce myself. I'm in my early 20s and have had a number of symptoms since a child, probably 6 or 7 years old. I saw doctors and received a number of different diagnosises from Fibromyalgia to synovitis. But I saw a new GP about 12 months ago and she wanted a brief history of my medical history and she said my symptoms sounded like I had some sort of autoimmune disease and wanted me to see a rheumatologist.

To cut a long story short, my blood tests were normal (except an ANA of 1:80), but my GP said that she still thought something was going on. She convinced my rheumatologist to put me on Plaquenil. My rheumatologist said my symptoms pointed to a 'connective tissue disease' but because my blood tests are negative she didn't think it was likely. She agreed with my GP that Plaquenil is a mild medication and that I could trial it if I was prepared to get the eye tests or something. So I agreed because I was pretty desperate for some relief.

My main symptoms are joint stiffness and pain with mild swelling (knees, sacroiliac joints, hips/groin, shoulders, wrists and fingers). Fatigue. Dry eyes. Raynaud's Disease. Mouth and nose ulcers. Hives. Vascular rashes. Nail changes (pitting and crumbling. And a few other things my GP said were significant, but my rheumatologist wasn't interested.

So I've been on Plaquenil for 6 months and I really think I've noticed significant improvements. I'm wondering if someone can tell me if these are the things Plaquenil are meant to help with?

My joints aren't nearly as sore. I'm still a little stiff in the mornings but not as bad. I've still had a bit of swelling, but not as bad as before. My GP said my fingers still feel 'squishy'. When I flare, it's only for 2-3 days, compared to a week or two.

I'm not as fatigued as usual.

And I rarely have mouth and nose ulcers. I use to have about 10 at any one time. Now I have one and it's tiny.

My dry eyes and Raynaud's have not improved at all.

Are these the improvements that you'd expect to see on Plaquenil?

My other question, if I improve on Plaquenil, does this mean I have something autoimmune going on? I know it's not prescribe for Fibromyalgia and only for Sjogren's and other autoimmune diseases.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

04/10/2012 10:12 PM
twistedDNA
twistedDNA  
VIP Member

I am not a doctor but I would say yes you have autoimmune issues with the symptoms your describe.

I am not using Plaquenil but here is a link with information about it.

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil)

http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/ medications/hydroxychloroquine.asp

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved