MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/05/2012 12:28 PM

Weight Loss With Sjogrens

1winston

My Symptoms originally occurred Last Feb. It wasn't until Oct/ Nov my Dr mentioned Sjogrens to me. It's been almost a year since the first flair up and in this time I have lost a lot of weight (about a month ago I was down to 105). normally this time of the year(I say this time of the year because I gain 5 lbs every winter and shed it in the spring)I weigh approximately 115. The clothes that I bought last month are beginning to get baggy again. For obvious reason this is concerning.

Is this a common symptom associated with Sjogrens?

In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with my doctor and will discuss this with hm. In the meantime I would like to have some understanding what's happening-

Thanks

02/09/2012 06:53 PM
Dreamers
DreamersPosts: 198

Are you having other symptoms? I know for me in the past before the diagnoise for SS my doctor said Irritable bowel syndrome which did cause weight loss till I looked at my diet and made some changes. I still don't think I get enough nutrients absorbed in my system. Make a list of what you eat daily and check with your doctor. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

02/09/2012 11:36 PM
twistedDNA
twistedDNA  
VIP Member

I believe all of us suffer from Sjogrens but also have other immune issues that can cause many different symptoms. I have a hard time keeping weight on but I don't think that's from the sjogren's. You may have food allergies and or malnutrition issues. When it comes to autoimmune problems its a puzzle and each one of us are not exactly alike. I go by a process of elimination to avoid the things that make it worse and try my best to eat the right kinds of protein fats and carbs. I also take vitamins like Vit D3 and B-Complex and more

02/10/2012 05:34 PM
1winston

Hi Dreamers & Twisted DNA,

My other symptoms are night sweats, increased body temperature throughout the day (not necessarily sweating or high enough to be a fever). Also my hypoglycemia is really bad! I'm now at the point where I have to eat at least every hour. If I wait to a hour & a half to eat, I feel sick immediately, get light headed, ill, nauseas, dizzy, foggy headed, can't keep my head up, and have to lay down. I've had 3 severe instances of this recently. Also near the lower portion of my ear towards my jaw line, hurts really bad. It almost feels like my lymph nodes are swollen. My mom, who is a doctor, said my lymph nodes feel hard, not necessarily swollen though. I'm in so much pain. My doctor is on vacation so I'm meeting with a different dr on Monday. We'll see how it goes.

As far as diet goes, I eat very healthy; most of my diet consists of organic, unprocessed foods, and I don't eat beef, pork, or chicken. The only protein I consume is from soy, nuts, fish, and eggs. I'm currently going to school for biomedical nutritional science in pathophysiology. Last semester I did a full dietary analysis of what I ate, for one month. The analysis consisted of the macronutrients, micronutrients, and essential minerals. The report concluded I was deficient in vitamin d and calcium. After the report, I had lab work to determine if my analysis was accurate. The blood work confirmed my report. I doubt that I have ‘leaky gut' or any major deficiencies, but the body does change.

I suppose it is very possible that I could have developed an allergy or even food sensitivity since my last allergy test. It's very hard to say what's happening especially when they're so many moving components.

02/12/2012 08:25 AM
twistedDNA
twistedDNA  
VIP Member

Sounds like you are pretty educated on the diet, good for you. I think many don't realize just how important it is.

My jaw and neck give me pain along with the area around my ear. I know we have glands that can flare up but the hard part is figuring out which ones and why. I know caffeine makes it worse and I love chocolate so I rarely get to eat any of it Sad

I've been to so many different doctors over the years it make my head swim. The newest one is an MD who specializes in environmental medicine. So more tests and some new treatment that I'll be starting soon.. low dose naltrexone.

Don't know if it will help with my wasting away and I may have lyme disease as well time will tell.

I use to sweat a lot even just by drinking water but since I cleaned up my diet it cleared up but who knows it might just be my immune system going in the other direction with Sjogren's drying me out more?

We are our best advocates so researching and talking with others who suffer with the same ailments can only be a positive.

I had the hypoglycemic problems for years and years but this past 10 months or so its gotten better and I don't know why. The only thing that helped before was to NEVER go hungry and be careful about sugars.

Did you get tested for gluten?

Hope your new MD helps Smile

02/13/2012 05:45 PM
Mariah13
Mariah13  

I agree with all of you! In my case, I (and my doctor) think I have Lupus (primary) and SS (secondary). I would say that I think it is the reverse, but I don't think Lupus is ever secondary, as is Sjogrens. In fact, for a while the doc thought I might only have the Sjogrens, but one time I went to see him I had the mouth ulcers that I occasionally get, and he said those are a Lupus symptom. But, so far, thank God, none of my major organs seem to be compromised -- mostly I get the skin symptoms. I also have Reynaud's. And yes, I often run a slightly elevated temp during the day.

So, bottom line? We have to educate ourselves and ask a lot of questions. Oh, and thank our lucky stars for this group!Kissing

Post edited by: Mariah13, at: 02/13/2012 05:45 PM

02/17/2012 07:46 PM
1winston

I agree, we are our best advocate. I saw the school nurse at my University. She had no idea what to do or suggest other. We have a great research depart at our school which also collaborates with our prestigious local universities. She offered to check my cbc but declined, as I really don't think I have an infection. After reviewing my symptoms closer, I'm beginning to question the possibility of hyperthyroidism. This certainly would explain the night sweats, increased temp, weight loss, and it can even effect the lymph nodes. I was able to move my dr's appt up to this Wednesday. I'll have him check my pituitary thyroid glands.

Does anyone have hyperthyroidism and have you found any natural treatments?

I'll keep you posted, with the appts.

(keeping my fingers crossed*)

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved