MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/22/2010 11:35 AM

Swollen gland directly behind left ear lobe. Hurts

ncgirl
ncgirl  

I have secondary Sjogren's along with Lupus. I have a gland directly behind my left ear lobe that is swollen and won't go down?... You know the glands that respond when you bite into something REALLY sour like a lemon (you probably are feeling it just by the description)? Where it "gets you" by your ear lobes?

Has anyone had this problem and what did you do? I am walking around all day with the feeling in that gland like I have just bitten into a sour gummy worm or tart sour candy. ~ Julie

09/22/2010 08:09 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Oh, man, have I ever!! I couldn't think of how in the world to put it into words! It's awful, isn't it? Everything I eat or drink makes my glands pucker up like that. EEWWW!! And it hurts, not just the puckering, but it hurts. Yikes. What do I do? Huh? I wait it out. It usually does go away shortly but if your gland is swolen and doesn't go away I'd call the doc and make sure it's not infected because we do get easily infected glands, also. I drink a lot of water. I use a heating pad. And I sure as heck don't eat any lemons...LOL. I hope you feel better soon.

09/23/2010 06:53 AM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

Rhonda, thanks for responding. I used muscle rub and a heating pad last night (something I was hesitant to do but desperate) and it seems a tiny bit better today but definitely still there. I couldn't believe how much that hurt last night, and inside my ear too! Then, when I went to bed, every time I swallowed, I had clicking in my RIGHT ear. I have had this before too. It seems to only go along with the sore throat. Grrrrr - so frustrated.

It's hard for me to sort out what's Lupus and what's Sjogren's at this point!

09/24/2010 01:57 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Are you sure you don't have an infection? If it's in your ear, too, you might want to have a doc look at it. Of course, I probably wouldn't follow my own advice. I'd just figure it's all part of the package and go along with it. And it is so hard to figure out what's what. I have Fibro and Sjogren's and ever since I've had the fibro I've gotten swollen glands occassionally so I just don't know which is which. It's confusing and frustrating. I hope you feel even better soon.

09/24/2010 03:23 PM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

I waited 3 days and will go two more over the weekend. If it's still hurting, I will have my Dr. look at it. Oh for sure, sore throats are part of my Flares (don't know if it's a Sjogren's Flare or Lupus Flare or a combo) and that is what basically landed me in the hospital in July. I have never had the sore swollen lymph node or gland along with it too though... I agree, so frustrating and confusing. You never know what in the heck to run to the Dr. for. I guess I feel it's my health, if it bothers me - I'm going! If he doesn't want to see me, there are lots of GP's out there that want the easy money Wink

09/24/2010 06:15 PM
Mizuiro
Mizuiro  

I've read a lot about swollen glands being very common with SS and problems with glands in general like becoming blocked. I know I've had a lot of problems with it in my neck. Last week all the glands in one side were swollen and hard from sinus infection (which is common also). I happened to go to the chiropractor though and he used an ultrasound (I think) on my neck to help the glands drain. It worked wonderfully.

09/27/2010 10:08 AM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

I had the Dr. look at my ear this morning and he said it looked fine inside the ear and the tympanic membrane looked normal. Also, the gland or lymph node swelling went down, BUT when I got home and started chewing gum it started hurting deep inside again. I am thinking it's a swollen or blocked saliva gland... I give up - ugh. I am going to grab the muscle rub and heating pad and try to massage it out myself.

09/27/2010 02:54 PM
Mizuiro
Mizuiro  

If it's in your jaw sometimes what happens is a gland with swell and press on a nerve in the jaw causing nerve pain. Heat and massage has always helped me some when i've had it but mostly it's just taken time to go down and then it's fine. Doesn't mean it wouldn't drive me crazy in the mean time.

09/27/2010 06:05 PM
ncgirl
ncgirl  

Thanks Mizu Smile Sometimes, I feel all alone with this and like the Dr.'s just don't "get it" ya know?... I cried so hard tonight I had to just hide away in the bathroom so my little one wouldn't see me. Not that she doesn't see me cry but I hate for her to see me cry daily. Between the sore ear/node/jaw whatever-it-is pain, the sore throat (again) and just feeling generally ill I feel like screaming! My family is really supportive and my husband holds me when I cry and just says "we will get through this. It will get better"...

Post edited by: ncgirl, at: 09/27/2010 06:06 PM

09/27/2010 09:15 PM
Mizuiro
Mizuiro  

I usually hide away in my room with my journal and my fiance's favorite t shirt. It has so become my security blanket and I cry on it all the time whether it's pain or frustration or just missing him. I must also say I'm a very big fan of rice bags and socks work well. I have a little tiny one I use when I get swollen glands or to hold when my fingers are hurting. I was just thinking a kid's size sock would probably work perfectly.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved