MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/19/2010 06:34 PM

having surgery and need positive thoughts

Steph9700
Steph9700  

I'm on a few different groups on here so you may see my post somewhere else but the reason I'm writing this is because I need all the positive karma, prayers, thoughts, wishes, and chants you can send my way tomorrow morning and for the next six weeks. I have to be at St. Vincent's hospital in downtown Birmingham Al. tomorrow morning by 9:30 for a complete right knee replacement . I'm going to need all the positive backup I can get from all my family and friends. with me having Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Sjogrens syndrome, Raynauds disease, and several other things I'm worried about pain management and how my body is going to be trying to get through the physical therapy after and the pain management as well as wondering if I'm gonna go into one of the episodes or something from one of my medical issues like a lupus flare or Sjogrens episode or something. The physical therapy is really gonna get me considering I have the other issues I got as well like the Fibromyalgia. I will post back when I can get awake enough to get back on the computer after surgery tomorrow and let y'all know how it went!

07/19/2010 11:15 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Steph. I pray all goes well with surgery and aftercare.

Take your time to heal, we're hear waiting to know how it all went and how you're feeling...

Healing Hugs,

Sonni

07/27/2010 12:23 PM
sherdon

Dear Stephanie....I am new to this group, but I wanted to send words of encouragement to you. I am 66 yrs old and have Lupus,Sjogrens and Fibro. I had my right knee replaced last Feb. Like you I was concerned about my health problems interfering with the recovery process. I was up and walking 2 months afterward and I did just fine. I will pray for you that you come off of this with flying colors. Hang in there. God Bless SherriSmile

07/29/2010 02:44 AM
Steph9700
Steph9700  

(I'm doing this as a copy and paste with one group I am on so if you see me post in another group we happen to be members on as well just bear with me, I can't type the same thing over for every group and I'm sure most of you would do the same) Wink I tried to reply last night but with the storms moving in and out of the area it didn't get posted. I'm doing really good, I got to come home Friday and my first physical therapy as an out patient was Monday. She said I was bending my leg to 85 degrees on my own already but that I needed to work a little harder on getting it to 0 degrees straight so I wouldn't have any problems later. I went to the bed side potty with the help of a walker the evening after the surgery. I have been walking across my yard and the neighbors yard and back every day. I'm using that machine that bends my knee for me at least an hour a day but I'm supposed to be doing it 4 to 6 hours a day. my rear end hurts if I do it more than 30 minutes at a time because of the way I have to sit and lay to do it. we don't have a bed long enough to put it on so I've had to make a pallet in the floor and I usually prop up against the couch so I can at least play on the computer or watch TV while it is going.I walked 50 feet from my bed and back with just the walker for help the day after surgery and all the staff were just floored at how good I've been doing and how determined I've been to keep going and get better. I think I'm heading into an episode with my auto-immune stuff (the Sjogren's and Lupus), but I'm not going to quit or give up. My cousin Meghan came down to stay the night before and the day of my release and stayed here at the house with us until Tuesday and she is planning on coming back Saturday to help out some more for another week. With everything I've got before hand medically and the pain from the surgery itself I've got a constant headache and can't seem to get enough relief but I refuse to take anymore meds than I'm already on because I don't want to sleep all the time or have that over drugged feeling all the time. I'm happy with my progress and bearing with the pain that I knew I was going to have even before I went into the o.r. but man do I wish it was already over! Yesterday, (Tuesday, 7/29), and today I've been able to walk a little bit with just a walking stick a few steps here and there so I'm happy. I'm not going to push too far like to the point of crying because I've done too much but I plan on pushing myself as much as I can to get better as quick as I can so when the Lupus and Sjogren's goes into full flair up I'll be able to handle it better.

Post edited by: Steph9700, at: 07/29/2010 02:46 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved