MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/10/2012 07:20 PM

How Long Did It Take You To Heal From Shingles?

ml28

Just wondering how long it took for you to heal from this? Does anyone care to share?

I'm now on week # five, and although I'm still weak, and have intermittent deep internal pains that still occur in and on my left side which come and go), my 3 small rashes don't itch as much and don't look bad ( but they never looked horrible to begin with) so they are healing well.

I am doing much better, and am about 60% better.

I'm also curious why no one ever responds here, except Don?

Hello...hello...anyone out there? This shingles group is apparently next to nil in number of participants. I'm really surprised, by the lack of responses??

08/10/2012 07:55 PM
stillwaiting
stillwaiting  

My shingles pain lasted almost 2 months . I sat in the emergency room for 9 hours waiting to get some help they were sure packed with people . The worst part the first hospital visit gave me the wrong diagnosis . I went to another hospital , there it also took real long to get seen yet they said I had shingles. That has to be the worst pain I have ever had I hope you fill better soon. God Bless

08/10/2012 08:47 PM
ml28

Thanks for your response! Smile. Two months would seem about an average time, if in fairly good health, I guess. I really don't know.

But thank you for your response b/c its comforting and good to know that someone is actually out there (other than Don) on this forum, who has also had a really bad case of this, other than me. But then again, I guess I really haven't heard of any good* cases of shingles. Wink

It's the length of time that one has experienced a full recovery from it I'd like to hear about from others.

Guess I want to better understand what I may, or may not, be looking at in my near future.

I have had to cut back on my hours at work due to the constant stress of my position which I am sure helped contribute to getting this. I really just want to make absolute sure I'm totally healed from this until I go back to my 40 hour work week. I want to play it safe and not get permanent nerve damage due to my stress levels and wait at least 6 mos or maybe longer or shorter...?

So, I am wondering about others recovery time with the typical left side affected shingles, and also if anyone has had to cut back on their hours at work due to stress to help them recover?

Anyone else care to share?

12/07/2012 09:12 PM
Rocker67

I'm new, too. Glad to find an active support group. It does get lonely living with this pain. I've had PHN for 13 years. The shingles rash lasted about three weeks. I was in the hospital 17 days, they couldn't figure it out. So,I didn't get the antiviral in time to prevent PHN. My leg along the sciatic nerve and foot are affected. Makes wearing clothes rough, anything touching, even the wind, hurts so bad. Limits my mobility and quality of life. I take the meds, Neurontin, Elavil, klonapin, Ultram, etc. They take the edge off but the pain is always there. I did have several epidurals and nerve blocks, didn't help. I'm 63 years old and feel like I completely lost more than a decade of my life! I retired last may from teaching school for 28 years. I just couldn't do it anymore because of the pain. Sorry to hit you with all this, you wondered if anyone was out here.....I think there are a lot of us and we need to help each other!

Good luck and I'll listen anytime!

02/03/2013 07:09 AM
DoDo
DoDo  

Hello group....I am on or about my 10th day of this loveliness. I did not know there was a group. Just thought of doing some searching, and lo and behold, here you all are.

Sounds like I have a lot more to go through......uggggh

02/03/2013 07:48 AM
ml28

Hi, and welcome!

I have learned more about what to expect and all of the various symptoms of shingles via this group much more so that from anywhere else.

For me, the internal pain was the absolute worst and also feeling so exhausted, like I had the flu, or something very weird going on in my body.

What were your symptoms?

02/04/2013 05:51 AM
beemerman21

hi i contacted shingles on new years day went to docs with big lumps on my head put on treatment for 7 days all lumps turned to blisters then scabs , had it on l/h side head and face also contracted a chest infection nuro virus from which i have recovered doc said when your low probably catch everything one of the problems i have with the shingles still is that sensitive scalp stabbing pains and as it was by my throat a re occurring extreem soar throat when it hurts to speak nothing i take relieves then its ok for a bit then back again i can only assume its the nerves in the throat all in all a nasty troublesome ailment (shingles ) i was surprised how weak i became with loss of apetite and pain that sent tears down my face coupled with sleepless nights because it hurt just to lay my head on the pillow taking co-codamol 500mg like sweets only managed to dull the pain not stop it so all im wondering now that its been a month since it started is how long im going to suffer the pains in my head and throat

02/04/2013 07:40 PM
ml28

Hi,

Sorry to say, but you may be in for a long recovery period. At least I was. I'm going on close to 7 months since I first got shingles, and boy, did it hit me hard! I thought i was in pretty good health, and only was 52, but yet, apparently, I was very run down and tired when it hit me out of the blue.

It took me over 3 months to finally start to feel my energy coming back. Though, for some people, such as my much older father, it didn't hit him that hard when he got it, nothing like it hit me.

Take as much time off from work as you possibly can to rest, rest, sleep, and eat and lots drink fluids.

You must rest your body and mind, as it is a bad virus in your nervous system! Nothing to poo-paw and take lightly, that's for sure. It's one mean virus!

Take good care, and please keep us posted on how your doing.

ML

02/08/2013 03:56 PM
pammiejtx

Hello everyone. I have never posted on a forum before, but I needed to see if anyone is experiencing what I am with shingles. I am glad to see that I am not crazy, at least not yet!

I started having sharp pains in my right side and thought it was my gall bladder. After many tests, it was determined that my gall bladder was fine, but then I started to break out. I was out of my mind with pain, and still have sharp, hot pains in my side (does anyone understand "hot pains?"Wink. My doctor gave me a brand of gabapentin, a nerve pill, and Vicodin. The nerve pills seem to help, but I do not enjoy the side affects, including dizziness. I have had this for going on 3 weeks now.

Does anyone take gabapentin? If not, what are you taking, and is it working? I understand this can be caused by stress-related issues, but I thought I was doing so well, and not experiencing any stress Cheerful , but here I am with shingles!

I would also be interested to find out from others how long it took for a full recovery. Judging from the entries, it could be months and not weeks!

Thanks for listening, and God Bless all of you as you deal with this too.

02/09/2013 01:44 AM
beemerman21

it gets you so low that its possible to catch a lot of other ailments i had that nuro virus (sickness and ) and now lo and behold i have thrush in my throat as i said prev i had a severe chest infection its been nearly 8 weeks now and still get those burning pains still im back on my feet and getting stronger every day , i did get a good tonic from the chemist which i believe has helped a lot apart from that there aint a lot you can do except suffer

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved