MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2010 04:48 PM

Shingles and pain in the ribs

JustEd

For the last 4 days I have been wondering whether I had a kidney infection or may have sprained a few ribs from coughing. Then last night I started noticing the lesions in the area where I was experiencing pain. I ruled out the kidneys, but the sometimes off and on, and then continual pain and skin sensitivity along with the lesions on my side, near the rib cage, is making me think this is all the result of a shingles outbreak like I have not experienced before. I had shingles as a kid and have had a few outbreaks in my arm pits this past year, but this is a new one. Closing in on 60, I understand the severity gets worse as we age. Such fun! Does the rib thing resonate with anyone else?

01/08/2010 06:42 PM
patty777

Im so sorry, Yes my ribs on the right were so badly hurting it was unbearable. I went to ER because it was so bad, didnt notice the lumps until later. The Doc didnt examine me just shook my hand and ordered a CT thinking Kidney stones. I reported him to the Director of the ER, I haven't got a bill yet. I ended up going to my primary doc and he noticed the lumps and DX Shingles.

That was a month ago, now I have them on my back, the pain is going but the itching is crazy.

Yes I think we need to lower our stress in life, I really feel its related.

Always Caring

Patty

P.S. PM me anytime to talk or post any questions and I can get answers for you through research

01/09/2010 05:58 AM
JustEd

Patty,

Thanks so much for your reply and encouragement. I am thinking it may be starting to peak because the rash went from a few bumps on my side yesterday to a much larger cluster of them on one side of the middle of my back.

You sure are right about the pain. It does feel like a kidney infection at times and then it moves to the rib area and feels like a cracked rib, and now the itching.

Along with reducing stress, have you found any good prevention supplements. I have been told Lysine and/or colloidal silver. I have also been told that once the outbreak is past the first few days, the prescription medicine won't touch it. I have also been told that because of my age (almost 60) that the severity of the outbreaks intensifies. (How encouraging!)

Again, thanks for the quick response and support, Patty.

Ed

01/09/2010 06:45 AM
patty777

Ed, Im 50 yo. I havent read that it is more severe with age, but it happens more often with the older we get. The Famvir med I took did help and I started it 5 days after the pain started because of the misdiagnosis.

I think you should see a dr. and get some to make the symptoms less for you.

Talk anytime

I do care, this is really strange to me too. I feel like why now when so much else is happening in my life.

Warmest wishes

Patty

01/10/2010 01:09 PM
JustEd

Patty,

I went to a Walk-in clinic and was able to get a script for 500mg Famvir, 3x a day. Started yesterday, so hopefully it will slow things down.

Thanks again for the advice. Had you not told me the Famvir worked for you after 5 days, I might have just put up with it needlessly.

Take care.

Ed

01/10/2010 02:43 PM
patty777

Ed I sure hope it works for you as much as it does for me. It took the pain away so much faster than what I expected. The itching stopped as well more than what people told me what to expect.

Let me know how you are doing? Your not much older than I, so I really think it doesnt mean its worse for us, just that we will get them more frequent. After you get clear, they say you can get vaccine, but one person I know ended up getting Shingles that way. She was younger than us.

Hope you get well soon

Always Caring

Patty

Post edited by: patty777, at: 01/10/2010 02:45 PM

01/18/2010 01:14 AM
patty777

Hi Ed, Just Hopimg the Famvir helped you, that was prescibed for you.

I sure hope you are doing better,I know it takes awhile for improvement and wishing you the best.

Always Caring

Patty

02/07/2010 10:21 AM
JustEd

Patty,

Thanks for your concern and "hugs." I experienced a computer crash this past month and have been restoring programs, sites, etc.

As I head into week six, I would say that with the exception of some nagging inching and pain in a few spots, I am mucth better. Thank you for all of your support.

Ed

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved