MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/13/2009 09:02 PM

Fighting off nightmares

talktobrix

I know that alot of people who have dealt with abuse in their life often have nightmares.

now that that has happened,ive been having terrible nightmares. of course, they have lessened over time.

pretty much the only thing that seems to keep all the nightmares away is falling asleep talking to my fiance. for some reason, its like he takes the memories out of my head, even if its just for a little while.

what i was wondering, is if there is another way to possibly overcome these nightmares, and flashbacks?

my fiance certainly makes me feel safe and makes them less frequent, but on the nights we cant talk, they are worse.

any help is GREATLY appreciated. ive been having so much trouble sleeping!!

Post edited by: talktobrix, at: 10/08/2009 08:11 AM

09/13/2009 09:10 PM
LooseCanonGoneBipolar
LooseCanonGoneBipolarPosts: 142

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I started seeing a pdoc october or last year. After 20yrs of not facing it and living life I now wish I had never brought it up. The memories are back more than every and stronger. I dont know you but I love you in my own way. I as sorry this happened to you but I have no answers.... none.

09/13/2009 09:19 PM
LooseCanonGoneBipolar

look sweetie you can not find the answers in someone else. you have to deal with them in you.... if that makes sence??

09/13/2009 09:20 PM
talktobrix

it does, thanks

09/13/2009 09:22 PM
LooseCanonGoneBipolar

sorry i am drunk right now , self medicating!! I hope you dont end up like me. face it, fight it and own it. please move on.... hanging on it all has not helped me at all

09/14/2009 07:12 AM
HiddenButterfly
HiddenButterfly  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My hubby is the only thing that hel;ps me sleep as well. I have tried about every type of sleep aid on the market and none have worked. I can fall asleep if one of our children snuggle up with me, but it is not sound sleep. THe only time I get sound sleep with out him is when I am sick, but that is not restful sleep. Sometimes if I pretend he is here, or think of him really hard, I can at least fall asleep. Try holding an imaginary conversation with your fiance. You might want to see if you could get him to record himself.

Brenda

09/14/2009 07:20 AM
pirateprincess421
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I have bipolar as well as PTSD because of the trauma. My meds that make me sleep also take away or diminish the nightmares. I still have bad dreams, but they are less frequent and not as horrible. I couldn't sleep without my meds. And they keep me stable, so I don't freak out for no reason.

09/14/2009 12:36 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

I'm like Princess, I couldn't sleep if it weren't for my meds. I'm bipolar also and I don't remember a lot of dreams at all because my meds knock me out so much. But I have had them in the past. And I do still occassionally wake up because of a nightmare now. They are awful.

I would suggest finding an object like a pillow or a blanket or maybe a stuffed animal that you can hold when you're sleeping that makes you feel safe. You could have some kind of ceremony with your fiance where he blesses it with all his love or strength and kindness. It might sound silly but it might just work. You could also get an Indian dream catcher , they are supposed to catch only good dreams. Make your bedroom YOURS. Make it safe and comfortable and soft and the colors you want it and the decorations you want. If you want hearts or butterflies or maybe wolves to scare off the bad dreams then do it.

And my last suggestion is to work on all of this with a therapist. I think that's the most important thing you can do. It will give you your life back.

09/17/2009 05:05 PM
1magicman
1magicman  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

rrm164. Something about your post caught my eye. Finding something to hold on to to make you feel safe. after i came home after being abducted as a young boy. And my family not even known what happend to me my aunt gave me an original Winni the poo bare. I held onto that bear for a long time. It really helped me to feel safe secure until the day i told my parents what happend to me that time as a young boy. I have today above my bed a dream cather. If you beleave thay realy work well. Ya it silly. But be all need to do what we need to do to feel safe.

Scott

09/18/2009 06:14 PM
hiall
hiall  
VIP Member

Hi and sorry your having trouble with the nightmares. There is alot of good books at the library and information online about how to deal with nightmares and make them go away. Doesnt work for everyone but you may want to give it a try.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved