MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/01/2012 08:19 AM

How much should I tell......

Torres15
Torres15  
VIP Member

I got a new therapist. I've only seen her once. And I'm really confused and won't get to see her for almost two weeks to ask. One of the first things she says is that if I am a danger to myself or others and that if I have ever abused anyone she will report me.

There was a time when my boss told me I was. That's a lie. And she obviously changed her mind or something since I wouldn't be working there if it were abuse.

But isn't SI being a danger to yourself? So if I go to therapy for SI, I am going to be reported for the reason I go? And I don't want to tell her what my boss said (I've been working there for several months since she said that so I know she now thinks I am not abusing anyone) because then the therapist will report me. Getting out of that job won't happen for a while because I need an income. I do plan on quitting, but can't yet.

Anyway, the basic question, is how do I tell the therapist everything and not her her decide to report me? There have been other people (a few) who know I SI and haven't reported me. One was my former therapist,so I know they don't have to, yet I am afraid she will. My new therapist said she will report me if I had abused anyone, but since my boss has the same requirements and hasn't, then does that mean my new therapist won't? What should I do?

02/02/2012 02:59 AM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

I would first be honost with my therapist and say that you feel like you can't trust her because she "threatened" to report you if you were a threat. You know your not a threat but you have an addiction you are trying to get better from and need to know how honost you can be with her before she decides to overreact and report you to someone because you are a cutter. If you can't talk to her about it than you need a new therapist and to let her know up front you are looking for support to stop not someone to chain you or judge you then you are taking control of your therapy and letting her know that she isn't going to scare you by threatening you because you will just leave and find someone new.

02/02/2012 07:00 AM
Torres15
Torres15  
VIP Member

Maybe, I don't know if I can be that blunt. I will have to think about it and see if I find a way I can do that and still see someone in the same building (no other choice here). Thanks for replying.

02/03/2012 12:36 PM
mvpjimmy
mvpjimmy  

I would ask her how much experience she has with working people that SI. If it is slim to none, I would seriously look into changing, because it can be "shocking" and "frightening" to those who are not familiar with the ailment. My therapist up north had plenty of experience with SI (both in males and females...she also said it was about a 50/50 split which made me feel better) and she would ask me how often and to what extent I was cutting. I would always be honest with her and she worked with me and advised me to take care of the wounds and to seek medical help if I couldnt get them to stop bleeding. I was honest with her with everything from drug use to SI and it was a greatly freeing experience to be able to converse with someone like that and have her not judge me, but only try to help.

Oh man do I ever miss her... She was the person that sent me Inpatient, but I now know it was necessary and thanked her for it (It wasnt due to the SI, Torres Im pretty sure I covered that in one of the PM's)

Anyways, I would really try to switch, because if you cannot be honest with her, then you are really just wasting each others time... I dont know, I wish you the best!

Dan

02/04/2012 08:23 PM
AgGhost1
AgGhost1Posts: 239

Both of the responses above me are solid Torres. I see why you'd be a bit anxious. You went to get help not to have someone report you & mess up your life after all.

My past counselor did the same sort of thing with me though (the talk), and it wasn't malicious or meant to scare. She was likely more diplomatic then yours however. I think it's a legal obligation for them to report "dangerous" people which is why it may have been mentioned. My understanding was that they would only 'report' someone if they were either suicidal, or physically doing or going to do harm to others. SI isn't about either of those though. A good therapist should know the difference. So like Dan said, ask her about her experience with SI patients. If she understands it. Feel it out, air your concerns, and after all that is done, decide to stick with it or not. Don't be afraid to be honest with her.

Post edited by: AgGhost1, at: 02/04/2012 08:24 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved