MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/09/2011 04:51 PM

Quick Question, Much Thanks!

Kayye
Kayye  

Monday my Mom is taking me to our physician to discuss antidepressant medications. If a doctor sees or suspects that you have been intentionally injuring yourself does he have the authority to send you to a hospital? I'm terrified Monday the doctor will see the fresh cuts on my wrist and send me to the hospital...

09/10/2011 08:54 AM
karrietravis

My doctor didn't unless I was suicidal. Cutting is not a suicide attempt. It doesn't mean you want to die, if you think about it, it means you want to live. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Let us know how it goes.

09/10/2011 10:59 AM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

It depends on the dr usually. I was admitted both times to the hospital when they saw cuts on my arms and the reason is usually for evaluation to make sure you are not suicidal. Some doctors may not if they know you have a history of self injury and are being treated for it, but it truly depends on your relationship with you and your dr. Also if you are a minor and the dr suggests it your mother has the right to admit you. Hope that answers your question, if I were you I would stay calm let him know your in to try some meds to help with the depression and feelings. You want to enjoy life again and try to act normal, the more nervous and edgy you are the more the dr won't trust what your saying is honest.

Keep used posted and good luck

09/10/2011 11:04 AM
Kayye
Kayye  

Thanks, I will!

09/11/2011 11:00 AM
stand2endure
stand2endure  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

There is more awareness out there about self-injury then there use to be and so many doctors understand that it is not a suicide attempt. Parents also need to know more about SI what it is and is not to understand more of what their child is going through.

09/14/2011 03:48 PM
Kayye
Kayye  

It actually went well. He prescribed Paxil. Has anyone had experience with this medicine? Good or bad?

09/16/2011 09:29 AM
skeptical
skeptical  

Paxil was a bad experience for me, I had unpleasant side effects that made me feel sick. However, I know many people who have had great success with it. It seems to be a common choice for depression with anxiety. Good luck with it.

I just wanted to commend you for pursuing treatment and working on stuff. I don't know if you have a therapist too. Is this your first time going on a psych med? It was really hard for me to admit to my family that I needed help, but once it was out there, people were there to support me.

As for the self-injury, as others said already, most doctors will not send you inpatient for it if they know you well enough and understand you. It is when suicidal gestures and thoughts come up that they will send you for evaluation. At least that is my experience.

09/17/2011 05:11 PM
steve571
steve571  
VIP Member

i was put on paxil and i had bad time with it...i didnt sleep at all..couldnt sit still..thought people were all staring at me an talkin about me on the street so i stayed at home were i my wife could hardley fight me off ...in a good way lol.....anyways...i had to get off of it.now i take remeron wich im tottally happy with. last time i was at hospital were they seen my cuts they kept me tho i was able to convince em to let me out after a few days.

09/18/2011 06:53 AM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

I too have had a very bad experience with paxil. I have known some that do well on it but for me it was a train wreck. My dr kept increasing the dose thinking it would help I was maxed out quick and I was not sleeping, had anxiety really bad, paranoia, manic episodes, and it finally ended with me taking the whole bottle in an attempt to "fix" what was wrong with me.

I have had awesome results from zoloft and prozac. They also help with the anxiety attacks. I recently tried welbutrin and after 2 weeks told the dr I couldn't take it any more. Now they are trying me on abilify. I can't take my usual med cause its dangerous to mix it with cymbalta.

Hope this works out for you Smile

09/18/2011 02:26 PM
Kayye
Kayye  

Skeptical: Yes, it is my first time on a med. It was extremely hard to even admit to myself that I might need help. Saying it was a whole other problem. But we shall see how it goes. No, I'm not currently seeing a therapist. The dr gave me a list and a friend of mine suggested a few, however I'm still scared for that aspect.

steve571: I'm glad you have found something that you are happy with. So far all Paxil has done is made me extremely tired. The first day I was maybe 3/4 asleep the whole day, and it made my head spin. It's not as bad now as earlier this week, but I still can't stop yawning. lol.

Peasha: I was surprised when it made me so very tired, and I thought it would help me sleep, but so far it's weird: I'm extremely tired yet can hardly fall asleep. And thanks, me too (:

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved