MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/12/2011 06:19 PM

hI LIGHTS DID IT HAD A SEIZURE WHILE HAVING EEG

nursesue1964
nursesue1964  

Hi my name is Susan and my neuro had me come to his office where they did an eeg well I thought it was a waste of my time and theirs since 90 percent do not have a seizure during the eeg well they did the breathing rapidly for 3 min THEN came the strobe light and my BRAIN went crazy every part of my body was freaking out I guess clonic is a better word for it but I knew what was going on and I could not control my muscles even my bladder plesae help This was a new onset what happens next Im on keppra and took it the morning of my eeg appt. they also had a video of me sooo not sure what to expect next .All help is appreciated relating to this. Thank you waiting... patiently for dr to call and nothing yet!!!!

10/13/2011 05:59 AM
Cthebird
Cthebird  
VIP Member

I'm sorry you were so uncomfortable during the EEG, but at least you got a result if a result should have been received. I took 3 types of EEG tests: standard w/strobe lights (like yours), sleep deprivation, and 2 day EEG where I wore electrodes and had a video camera on me for 2 days. I had nothing abnormal from the standard (although I refused to do the breathing because of anxiety problems) or the 2 day, but did have abnormality from the sleep deprivation EEG. I wonder if it is because I'm bipolar that the sleep deprivation EEG was abnormal. Sleep deprivation can bring on bipolar episodes so maybe it affected my seizure disorder. Who knows. Anyway, I guess everyone is affected differently by different tests. Regarding your percentage, I wonder if everyone gets 3 types of tests like I did.

Post edited by: Cthebird, at: 10/13/2011 06:01 AM

10/13/2011 02:45 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi nursesue welcome to the seizure group. I also had the EEG that you had done. I got to the strobe light and that was horrible. It showed that during the entire test that I was having seizures every so many seconds but was not noticeable by looking at me. I was put on tegretol but was having seizures still so than I was put on Keppra but was having break thru seizures so was put on Vimpat and the seizures have almost stopped...it's been about two months now. I still get a little tingly in my mouth and lips. I think maybe your neuro should try you on another seizure drug along with the one your taking...it might help stop your seizures. Anytime you need to talk you can always PM me. I wish you all the best.

Eva

10/14/2011 03:54 AM
nursesue1964
nursesue1964  

Cheerful ty for your response to my situation this is all new to me and i wish you WELL from all this extra stress in your life please be my friend

10/17/2011 10:11 AM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Nursesue...anytime you need to ask questions or just to talk you can always PM me...I check my PM's several times a day.

EvaSmile

10/17/2011 02:56 PM
nursesue1964
nursesue1964  

Thank you very much Smile

10/18/2011 06:09 AM
Rosiemckvr
Rosiemckvr  
I'm an Advocate

Hi Sue,

Ewe, the dreaded EEG. lol About 2009 I had a Video/EEG & they did the breathing fast.

I felt a tad weird & told her after that but she moved on to the lights. Oh, those ugly/nasty lights! I told her, "Oh, TG we're done!"

Well, they must've triggered something 'cause she insisted on another round?! She said, "Oh, it's ok!" I'm thinking, "That's what you think!" LOL

She did it again & I must've turned into the Incredible Hulk?! Mine & 2 other Dr.'s were there STAT!

My Neuro. leaned down & said, "If you wanted me here you could've requested it, not done it the hard way!" LOL! And then she said, "Rosie, you scare me".

But I never figured that remark out???

So, I know where you're coming from. You must be PHOTOSENSITIVE?

Flickering lights/flourescent lights trigger my seizures. And I've wet myself too.

I still have marks on my carpet upstairs from wetting (I can't get it out?).

Sorry about your reaction & welcome aboard.

Hugs,

Rosie

10/23/2011 03:58 PM
nursesue1964
nursesue1964  

Hi I recieved my results via mail and My Neuro said I had a generalized convulsionwith much muscle and motion artifact during spell, photic stimulation revealed good driving pattern in occipital region bilaterally. NOT SURE WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS EXCEPT HE STATED ( this was a normal eeg awake with a documented spell I think im more frustrated now than before. If you have any answers please contact me back THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH Susan

10/28/2011 09:20 PM
mumeva
mumeva  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Sue....this must be very frustraiting for you...knowing that your having these problems but nothing is showing on your test. I would keep going if I were you and find out what is happening....this is your body and you need to find out....my thoughts are with you.

Eva

11/02/2011 07:23 AM
Rosiemckvr
Rosiemckvr  
I'm an Advocate

Sue,

Sounds much like your Dr. is "unsure" the way he stated it?! How can you have a normal EEG with a documented Spell??? (that kinda sounds, Duh! LOL)

But you deffinately sound photosensitive (photic stimulation): flickering lights triggered, could possibly trigger seizure/muscle & motion artifact/convulsion.

I'm not a Dr. & can't say but in my 45yrs. having Epilepsy that's what I got out of it (JMHO!).

He sounds like he doesn't know what to call it. If possible, could you get a 2nd opinion?

Hugs,

Rosie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved