MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/29/2008 09:41 PM

Medication

Deb1961

Has anyone had any relief from SAD symptoms with antidepressants? I am desperate. Sooooo SAD am about to lose my mind. I just cannot get my act together. Thanks to anyone taking the time to respond. I just joined the group

01/01/2009 06:57 PM
Cmefly
Cmefly  

I take meds for my bp. Sorry I can't say anything about meds for SAD. I just thought I would let you know that someone has read your posting.

01/03/2009 01:09 PM
Kaila

Sorry for lack of feedback, been so busy with the holidays and I think everyone else has been as well. But I too have never taken any medication for SAD so sorry I cannot help.

02/09/2009 04:49 PM
LuvMKISA
LuvMKISA  

Geesh, I was looking for something other than the light. So....no medical victory/stories yet huh.

How about changes to or supplements to the diets?

02/10/2009 04:27 AM
Kaila

I suggest Vitamin D, it is a Vitamin our bodies naturally produce when sunlight hits our skin. During the winter we naturally are not in the sun a whole lot and people who experience Seasonal Affective Disorder may get relief from taking a Vitamin D supplement during the winter. Other then that and using light boxes I do not know. I have never really heard of people taking medications for this.

Hope that helped some. Smile

02/12/2009 02:31 PM
momof2rugrats
momof2rugrats  

fish oil pills are supposed to be good for the mood I believe. I bought some at walmart and I keep forgetting to take them Sad & my dr. also recommended vitamin E.

08/01/2009 04:29 AM
LuvMKISA
LuvMKISA  

What I'd like to know is how do you get a diagnosis for SAD? I can only assume that it would take a Dr. to prescribe something to counter the symptoms.

08/01/2009 05:49 AM
Kaila

There is no cure for SAD but yes, medication can be a treatment. Antidepressants are most commonly used. Usually the affects of it will start to show within one to three weeks. But everyone is different, some people can't take medication or just can't take antidepressants, or just don't take medication.

Light therapy is the number one treatment for SAD, interpersonal therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy has shown to be an affective treatment as well. Also certain herbal treatments have been used, and supplements.

I have never been diagnosed by a doctor, I think I know my body and myself well enough to know what happens to my body. I also do not take medication so I therefor never deemed it important to go to a doctor. So I am not entirely sure how a person would become diagnosed with it.

But I would assume if you are concerned you have SAD and are looking for a prescription to treat it I would talk to your doctor about it, if you are looking for counseling I would seek a counselor.

Hope that helps. Smile

Kaila

Post edited by: Kaila, at: 08/01/2009 05:51 AM

08/01/2009 06:18 AM
LuvMKISA
LuvMKISA  

Exactly, last time I tried to talk with a counselor about my concerns... "not feeling well", I was told that I'm just a procrastinator. However, as I look back over the past 10 years I see a the same pattern during the winter or October timeframe. This year I thought I had the problem licked; ...boy was I wrong!

Again, I'm at a lost for what to say to a Counselor regarding my "feelings". Do I walk in there and say that I believe I have SAD? It's always been my opinion that they'll throw any self-diagnosis out the window; or treat you like a hypercondriac. (sp?)

08/01/2009 08:10 PM
Kaila

Just look around the town you have for Counselors or Therapist, especially behavioral counselors or Therapists, that have a good reputation. If you go to one and they shrug you off or tell you are a hypochondriac then shrug them off and look at another. I never understood why doctors should get so upset when a patient thinks they might "have something". At least that person is actually listening to their body, and for the most part we know our bodies better then a doctor. If you become depressed during the winter without any other illness's that cause depression or physical illness and find relief to light therapy I think it is safe to say you have a problem during the winter and a person should want relief.

Of course, I would go to a doctor first and check for any other illness that could be causing this. If you have not I would do so, and if no counselors or therapist will listen search for a doctor that will.

Otherwise, look around for light therapy lamps or light bulbs. There are several websites around and my mother got three day light lamps with a Ipod connection with it for ten bucks at Menard's. Smile Just look around.

Though as someone else here as found out, if you use light therapy, make sure you do not sit too closely to it other wise it can cause head aches and migraines if there is an already existing condition.(I have found this out personally)

Kaila

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved