MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/12/2013 04:14 AM

Pain in Left hip going down the leg into calf muscle

samboy

Hello, I am Sandy,a 63 year old female. I am fairly active for my age, but have begun to experience pain in my hip that radiates down my leg. I found this group by searching 'wake up with sciatic pain" and it took me to a post in this group, so I knew I wasn't alone.

Within the last 2 weeks, when I get out of bed after sleeping, I get a shock-like pain in my lower side hip area . As I put pressure on my leg to stand, the pain shots down the leg into my calves.

I soak in a fairly hot bath and that seems to help. I use Biofeeze and take Ibupropen if necessary. On most days, the pain is gone by noon, and my body responds as if nothing is wrong.

The mornings remain the worst. I am now doing some yoga first thing in the Am, the "Sun Salutation" stretches, and that seems to help too.

I have a suspicion that my mattress is adding to this problem. It is new and is a firm eurotop. I keep hearing that they don't make mattresses like they used to. I saw on the forum that a memory foam matress topper is helpful. Is this because some matresses are too hard?

I welcome suggestions on what helps the rest of you.

Thanks, Sandy

01/12/2013 06:21 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4219
Group Leader

Hi Sandy

Sounds like sciatica or stenosis.

Welcome to the group.

Can you describe closer the pain.

For the hip: is it the back, front , or outside or even the inside of the hip. Is the pain in the hip - lighting, sharp, or dull pain.

For going down the leg : does it go down the back or front or inside or outside of the leg. And is the pain lightning everywhere in the lag, or sharp or dull in places.

Break the leg up into parts - leg from hip to knee, knee, leg from knee to ankle , ankle and foot. try to distinguish location and type of pain for each location.

Do you also get pain in your butt.

Mattress: see general helper for sciatica:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/spinal-stenosis- discussions/general-support/3636756-little-helps-that-add- up-to-be-a-big-help

And for medicines you need to look into the follow, which are my personal approach:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/spinal-stenosis- discussions/general-support/3638244-medicines-that-combine- to-form-a-helping-net

I hope the links help you to understand some of the issues.

Be aware whether the pain jumps from the left to the right or versa visa - it is quite significan.

hugs, Raoul

Oh - the following will help people to help you:

age, weight, height, sex, vocation, hobbies, and anything else you think would help. also how many days a week you go to the gym, and how much cardio you do. do you lift heavy weights.

dont post personal info - such as real name, address or phone or email info

01/12/2013 06:40 AM
Raoul
Group Leader

Since you are already stretching - here are the stretches I was given by the physical therapy people when i went in for some PT:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/spinal-stenosis- discussions/general-support/3638164-stretches-to-help

hugs

01/12/2013 08:09 AM
samboy

Regarding the hip pain, it is on the left side only. I can feel a tightess in the hip/buttock area. As for the most severe pain, is is lightning pain on the outside lower part of the hip where the thigh begins. It occurs especially after I get out of bed in the morning. Pain in the side of the leg is not severe, but feels more like cramping. The pain the calf feels more like a cramp/knot.

01/12/2013 08:12 AM
samboy

I am 63, weight is 128 and I am 5'4". I eat a fairly healthy diet and enjoy walking.

01/12/2013 12:50 PM
Raoul
Group Leader

Hi Sandy

Your pain describes as sciatica in the lumbar spine at L4-L5/S1. You also seem to have strained the lower back and iliopsoas muscle. You also have begun to irritate the piraforma muscle in the butt. Seems to be rather limited problems so far. You need to do a lot of stretching, and if you are able , go to a session of physical therapy. You also need to join a gym and do cardio ever week at least 3 or 4 times. The cardio will roll back this problem for you better than any medicines or any surgeries . Strongly recommend you take some meds for a while to get yourself back functioning. Probably don t need gabapentin at this point. A good muscle relaxer and aleve (with ranitidine) should get you back functioning in about a week.

Hugs

Post edited by: Raoul, at: 01/16/2013 07:11 PM

01/17/2013 02:54 AM
samboy

I'm doing betterSmile Thanks for your help!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved