MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/22/2010 07:51 PM

Anyone wear an AFO brace?

FightNFibro
FightNFibro  

I had lumbar surgery at L5-S1 with a plate & screws & rods almost 3 mo. ago now. The pain I had prior to surgery is gone - thankfully! Smile I just am having healing discomfort & my continuing issues with fibromyalgia. Anyway, before they got me into surgery I developed left foot drop & still have it after surgery & we do not know if it will be a permanent or not. I am not allowed to start PT until I am 6 mo. postop.

I was casted for an AFO for the foot drop & will be receiving it in about 10 days. I am really so bummed that I am going to have to wear a leg brace. I realize there are much worse things in life, believe me, but I just never expected this & so just have to give myself time to adjust to the fact.

I was wondering if anyone here wears one and if so what insight they might be able to give me on wearing one of these as far as making it comfortable as possible, how you deal with shoes, etc.

I guess I am really upset about "how I will look". Sad I know - vanity. Wink I like to wear cute sandals & shorts in the summer & I can't imagine looking very attractive wearing a brace with these and/or even being able to wear sandals at all. However, I would rather not fall and re-injure myself a whole lot more than care about how I may look too.

02/23/2010 02:10 AM
ray2135

Hi fightinfibro

Sure can relate to all of your problems.

Here is what my family doctor said when I called - when I was all worried about falling and when I was begining to actually hit the floor. I was concerned about my knee and had called to get a knee pad prescription. The doctor said - quite calmly - we are not so worried about your knees, but we are very worried about your hip. A fall can injur or fracture your hip. And that would be very bad. In older people such as me (I am 67) a fractured hip is commonly fatal within 12 months - because of the severe reduction of mobility.

So what is more important - flops of falling ?

As for the brace - I am very seriously considering getting one myself - because my knees buckle so badly and without much warning. I believe a brace might relieve me from always using a cane - which I have been doing for 3 years now. My wrists are very weak now and it is getting increasingly difficult for me to even hold the cane. I am also conidering a wheelchair - as I am so weak.

L4-L5-S1 pinch, central canal stenosis, ddd, osteopenia, oA, facet joint athrosis and another pinch at C6/C7 all contribute to lots of pain and difficulty walking.

I believe your problem is really difficult to work with - and that you will b emuch safer using a brace.

Hope I have been some help.

Love, Raoul

PS say hello to tina for me.

02/23/2010 10:25 AM
FightNFibro
FightNFibro  

Thank you Raoul for your kind reply.

Yes, hip fractures can easily lead to someone's demise due to complications, especially the older we get. I worry a lot about fractures as I have osteopenia/osteoporosis as did my mother who suffered from compression fractures of the vetebra which are extremely painful. Sad

I am really glad I had the lumbar/sacral surgery, thus far, as the pain I had is gone & I feel very fortunate. I just wish I had known sooner to have the surgery done (although all doctors discouraged it-that is should be a last resort as it is a very serious surgery) since now by my delaying the surgery I have the foot drop.

I hope someone replies also that has experience with an AFO brace so I know more what to expect & for tips. Smile

You wrote a PS for me to say "hi to Tina". I am sorry but I do not know any Tina's. Smile

02/23/2010 03:07 PM
ray2135

Hi

Tina gave you a hug on your profile page .

Raoul

02/23/2010 03:10 PM
FightNFibro
FightNFibro  

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't realize that. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved