MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/27/2011 01:42 PM

Do You Hear Voices - & Is It Really Schizophrenia

Cat306B
Cat306B  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

A new member wrote in asking a question about hearing voices but not quite the ones that are usually described as symptoms of schizophrenia. From some prior questions about mania and hearing voices, I remembered that there are very many things that may cause someone to hear voices. I found a great article about it back then. And after some great comments from our new member, I think is is very important for all our members to be able to read through this article. Schizophrenia is really only one small cause among very many that may cause a person to hear voices. I hope many of you will find this interesting and helpful. Regardless of whether you are someone who hears voices - this is an important read. Thank you for taking the time to understand more about our members who hear voices.

CatherineSmile Cool

File Attachment:
File name: Question_Regarding_Mania___Hallucinations___4.pdf
File size:78436 bytes

06/27/2011 03:31 PM
BrandieZ
BrandieZ  

THat was a great article, thank you.....

My daughter was diagnosed as schizophrenic but then diagnosed as bi-polar........I don't think the doctors have pin pointed yet what is going on with my daughter. She is now 16 and well.......I really can't explain her, there is to much to it!

Yes, I agree that hallucinations can happen without being schizophrenic, I had them and voices when I was coming down off a lot and I mean A LOT of drug use.....over 10 years worth. I am fine today and have no voices or visuals.

My brother is schizophrenic, he is now confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life because of a car accident that he caused. I truly believe if he would of been under a doctors care his tragic accident would of never happend!

I just wish i could understand better about schizophrenia and the levels of it. I have watched programs on it, the way people communicate with something or someone that is not there and they tell them to do things. This is what happened with my brother....I don't want this to happen to my child!

She is currently medicated and is a ward of the state for now but who knows what the future will bring.....

06/27/2011 04:49 PM
Cat306B
Cat306B  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree with you about trying to understand what is happening really when trying to talk with someone who is tending towards or is psychotic. My current big question came up with a dear friend who just had a very bad psychotic break - totally lost it. And during conversation with her "friends" and the rest of us she said some pretty rude(if she were her usual self) things. Some of them she claimed the voices(friends) told her to do and say.

My question(and so far no one seems to know) - she is pretty much back in touch with what everyone else understands as daily reality. Now - does she or does she not remember anything of what she did and said while completely out of touch with "reality"?

I just don't quite know what to say to her after some of the things she did and said while.....

If anyone can answer this question - I'd like to hear about it!!

I am so glad and encouraged you enjoyed the article. There is quite a bit to it, but it makes some really important points.

Good to hear from you, BrandieZ, and that life is looking up for you. Let''s hope your daughter can work things out. And I will pray for your brother.

God bless you!! Here is a smile and hug from the Bronx,

CatherineSmile Cool

08/22/2011 02:27 AM
anon123

"Now - does she or does she not remember anything of what she did and said while completely out of touch with "reality"?

I just don't quite know what to say to her after some of the things she did and said while.....

If anyone can answer this question - I'd like to hear about it!!"

When it happens to me I remember it. Not every detail, but it's like any other memory.

Post edited by: anon123, at: 08/22/2011 02:29 AM

08/22/2011 03:22 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I have a friend who is a nurse and she said that there are many different mental illnesses that can hear voices, so you never know. Plus the DSM (diagnostic statistical manual) which the psychs use can change a diagnosis criteria from year to year. don't know why.

Apparently as well as voices, psychosis is a very common event among the mentally ill as well. Of course, from my point of view I wouldn't call psychotic what some other people call psychotic. But then I think that is because I am more open minded about what things are real and what things aren't real. I call some people living on another plan of existence, while the psychs call it psychotic.

Just my 2 cents.

09/04/2011 08:31 PM
Cat306B
Cat306B  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thanks for the replies. My friend got back from the hospital and seems to have absolutely no memory of what she said or did. In fact, she's been telling everyone - including me who lived with her through the whole thing - she was only in the hospital for her medical health, COPD and mild anemia.

I still have no idea what to say to her.

I mostly went along with the completely out of touch comments - like strong insults to me on behalf of the voices - with, "well, everyone's entitled to an opinion..."!!

Should I have instead pointed out the unreality of what she was saying?

I still don't know. What do you think? I am still perplexed by it all!!

Best out to all for a great Labor Day and start to early autumn!!

Catherine

.....let's all share our little garden of care!

10/14/2011 10:13 AM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Here is an perfect example of what I go thru. This video gives you an excellent idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXyqe85cuA

10/21/2011 09:39 AM
mem8850

Jensen's Mindstorm is VERY similar to what i endured for 12 years b4 i began meds and ECT recently....my voices were not as loud....more whispering conspiracies.....i have been going to the clinic and getting ECT for a while now, the voices stopped when i began antipsychotics.

I think the point here is simple....it doesn't really matter WHY OR HOW you are accosted by "voices" everyone reguardless of REASON needs TREATMENT.....there is treatment methods for all of the afflictions mentioned in the attatchment.....some r harder to treat than others, but they ALL need attention nonetheless.....the point is RECOVERY after the cause has been identified.

I am in recovery after 12 years of hell.....and grateful....i have severe schizophrenia, and control it with meds and ECT. Thank you for listening.

Adding a BIG thanks to CAT for sharing such important and educational information.....GO CAT!!!!! Wink

Post edited by: robert12345, at: 10/21/2011 09:40 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved