MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/20/2011 02:09 AM

psychotheropy

ollythewolly

Peter R. Breggin, MD, has been called "the conscience of psychiatry" for his efforts to reform the mental health field, including his promotion of caring psychotherapeutic approaches and his opposition to the escalating overuse of psychiatric medications, the oppressive diagnosing and drugging of children, electroshock, lobotomy, involuntary treatment, and false biological theories.

Dr. Breggin has created a new reform organization that brings together professionals and laypersons concerned with a critical analysis of biopsychiatry but with additional special emphasis on effective empathic approaches in mental health and education (www.empathictherapy.org). The second Empathic Therapy Conference will be held in Syracuse, New York State, April 13-15, 2012 (about the conference).

A Harvard-trained psychiatrist and former full-time consultant at NIMH, Dr. Breggin's private practice is in Ithaca, New York, where he treats adults, couples, and families with children. He also offers consultations in clinical psychopharmacology and often acts as a medical expert in criminal, malpractice and product liability suits. He is the author of many scientific articles and books including Medication Madness: The Role of Psychiatric Drugs in Cases of Violence, Suicide and Crime (2008).

Dr. Breggin's most recent book is Wow, I'm an American! How To Live Like Our Nation's Heroic Founders (2009). This unique book shows us how to live our personal lives by the same principles that our Founders fought for and memorialized in our nation's great documents.

09/20/2011 02:45 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

There are other people who have made some advances in psychiatry also. However, it has been my experience that most of them still simply, talk to you about how you are doing and what is going on and then make a decision about your meds based on that alone. Usually the patient isn't precise enough in their descriptions to really help their treatment plan. Maybe i should say I am not and know several others who have the same problem.

Brain tumors and thyroid problems and God only knows what else can cause so called "mental illness". When these physiological problems are correct the mental illness also often goes away. There are now also Brain scans that several docs use in helping with a accurate diagnosis. But as far as I know the use of them is not common and they are probably fairly expensive.

09/20/2011 03:23 AM
ollythewolly

its all psychological and drug related, focus on neutrision vitamins and supliment as when the mind body and soul has what it needs to funtion properly it will and seriously by all dr peter breggings books he edits the journal of psychiatry and hasent perscribed drugs in 25 years he is a psychiatrists that beleaves in recovery not masking, his best book is toxic psychiatry

09/20/2011 03:24 AM
ollythewolly

no not toxic psyciatry, brain disfuntioning treatments in toxic psyciatry!

09/20/2011 04:13 AM
ductydawn
ductydawnPosts: 1153

I have been on both sides of the fence, not have taken meds, and then agreeing to take meds, FOR ME, taking meds help immensely, but the right ones. I took many that would have made an elephant walk funny and act bizarre. One pill was enough for me.

We still are not at the point in psychiatry where all is explained and discovered.

But it's better then if we were all born two hundred years ago, and possibly stoned for being different,,,,,,,with no help from anyone even family. Then all were cursed, a witch etc.

We all need to be a crucial part in our mental status, and if we cannot do the best job, finding someone to go with you to your visits might be helpful. Find an advocate in your area.

dd

09/21/2011 04:16 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Hey DD can you give any suggestions on how to find an advocate?

09/22/2011 03:08 AM
ductydawn

Look in the blue pages of your phone book, since every area deems things worded differently, call mental health, ask them, and also (I can't find, if I even brought them, my phone books,) call social services to get a mental health advocate.

09/23/2011 04:49 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

maybe this varies from one area to another, but our phone books don't have blue pages. Just yellow and white. Not sure under which category (local government?) social services would fall under. I think in Ohio all of it is now covered under Ohio Department of Jobs and family services. But there is also a local health department.

I do have a social worker, but I am not sure if she is so overwhelmed with clients that what she can do is limited.

09/23/2011 04:55 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

And Olleythewooly, I am so sorry to tell you this, but you cannot say that there are no illnesses. The brain is an organ just like the heart, lungs or kidney and it can malfunction. There are things like brain tumors and neurochemicals. It is a fairly well known fact that some child molesters once their brain tumors were removed began to have perfectly normal sex drives. However, it is also known that these brain tumors can return.

i have to admit that i agree with Patty Duke. She believes that we need the right medications before talk therapy can be helpful. I have had a great deal of experience as an abused child with so called talk therapy. In my opinion the ones I have had were at best useless and the worse absolute morons. They had no understanding whatsoever of what I needed or what to say to me.

I am looking into DBT therapy as soon as possible. But I doubt it will be as effective as possible since my medications are not helping me much.

09/23/2011 05:47 AM
ductydawn

Barely you can call your social worker and get a number for an advocate, brain blurr, dah on me, and you may have to call from that number, being guided around until, wah la, you get the right number and an advocate.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved