MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/04/2010 03:56 PM

After Surgery Side Effects???

rena1270
rena1270Posts: 21

Has anyone experienced any side effects after thier surgery? Also how were they resolved?

My son has had numbness and tingling and increasing pain in both arms and into his hands.

(Only since his surgery)

I have spoke with his pt and his MD with no real answers yet just that he needs to keep them moving and such. I hope this goes away soon he is actually complaining of this even more than his back. hummmm.

01/04/2010 04:35 PM
Jamie123
Jamie123Posts: 99

Hello,

My husband had surgery June 4th and is still in considerable pain and on pain meds.

His doctor was ot sure why he would be having such difficulty this far out. After asking to be discharged from care due to no resolution, the doctor remembered what it might be. Amazing.

Steve said it might be the Trapezius tendon. If it is that the pain management center will then give him a cortizone injection into the trapezius near the scapula. He has his appt. tomorrow for them to evaluate it. Then they will set up the injection(s)?? date.

We are as frustraed as you I'm sure. Steve also said the numbness is still going away slowly but it increases the burning in intensity.

Please keep after them to find a fix for it. It is NOT imagined.......

We'll let you know when we find out more.

Take care,

Jamie and Steve.

01/06/2010 09:11 AM
rena1270
rena1270Posts: 21

thank you for your reply. We saw his MD yesterday and he said he has never really seen this happen before. And offered no advise. He did get more xrays including neck and shoulders. I will ask about the trapezius. Thank you . Please let me know if your husband gets any results with this. (my son said even to wear a shirt with sleaves hurts) uugh

Lorena

01/06/2010 02:21 PM
MarkT
MarkTPosts: 71

Hello Rena, I'm not sure if this is a side affect or just the natural consequences of having such a traumatic operation, but 3 1/2 weeks after my surgery the ribs across the front of my chest still hurt quite a bit; like having a broken rib, or something. It's not a distressing kind of pain, but uncomfortable. I don't doubt that since my back has been straightened out after 40 years, it's going to take a while for other parts of me to get used to their new locations. It hurts when I do it, but doing deep breathing exercises seems to help stretch out and strengthen the muscles in my chest which helps to slowly reduce the pain.

The same is also true for the area in my lower back. My fusion was T2 through T12, so the spine above my lumbar region has shifted and is probably adding new stresses on the lumbar region. So for this I've been working on doing pelvic tilts laying out flat and bed and standing when I'm in my brace to help get the muscles back into shape. All those years of doing back exercises to reduce the pain from the SK will probably come in very handy during recovery. It will be nice when I can start going to Physical Therapy and really start working on strengthening all those back muscles that got cut.

Walking really helps for me, because sitting to long seems to really amplify most of my aches and pains. Another thing that also helps me is standing under a warm shower and letting the water roll down my back. This is especially true for the area under my left arm pit where the surgeon went into my chest and cut through some big muscles. That area was pretty puffy for a while and the warm water really seems to help stimulate the area and bring back some of the feeling.

Good luck to you and your son, I'm sure this isn't fun for him. Hopefully he will realize that going through this now is going to save him a heap of grief and pain later on and that if he just hangs tough it'll be over soon and he'll fell better than he could have ever imagined. Building strength back up takes a lot of patience, but each time gets easier as long as one is consistent and doesn't try to do things too fast.

01/09/2010 08:59 PM
Dave747Pilot

My curve is low 60s and have considered surgery before. But my doctor has pretty much convinced me out of it..I am in minor pain However, I got one of those facet joint injection a week ago and literally I am in no pain; the only real problem still being the actual spine itself sticking out and hitting chairs, but can't fix that I suppose. my point is the injections can really help, so ask about them. my doctor (also a very well respected surgeon from the HSS) says that the injections vary from person to person, some only a few days it works, others it works for years to the rest of their life.

I hope all the best for your son and that he recovers ok. I am on scoliosis-support.org and some girl has numb tights and stuff, so it seems that is not unheard of. However, that really scares me and for that reason I am just going to stick to ibuprofen and the gym and not go under the knife yet. Please let us know what happens!

D

Post edited by: Dave747Pilot, at: 01/09/2010 09:00 PM

Post edited by: Dave747Pilot, at: 01/09/2010 09:03 PM

01/10/2010 03:48 PM
MarkT
MarkTPosts: 71

Dave, the spine sticking out and hitting the backs of chairs sound familiar. My own personal experience was that as I got older it only got worse and never better. I don't know how old you are, but for me it wasn't I got to be 53 that it finally got so bad I couldn't stand it anymore. I knew I had a problem ever since I was a teenager and got by for years strictly with exercise, stretching, etc. I'd seen doctors in the past who dismissed it as just a fact of life and usually prescribed PT and Motrin. A few years ago, after I found that I'd shrunk 2 inches and was told that my lung capacity was decreasing due the compression on my lungs from the increasing curve, did I start to get more serious about finding some sort of definitive remedy.

I've always heard that the long term prognosis of this disease has a lot to do with the kind of life you lead. Some jobs are more conducive and don't stress the back as much and make living with it easier. After I became a special education teacher (very physical) after years of working at a desk as an architect did I find that my back felt worse and compelled me to do something more to fix it. Now my dad had a bad case of it all his life and claimed it never bothered him. He, on the other hand, was and x-ray technician and led a pretty sedentary life and wasn't very physical. A lot also depends on how much it bothers you appearance-wise. I found myself getting more and more self-conscience about my back the longer I was that way, but that was just me and only you can know how you feel about that.

This disease gives you a lot to think about and is not as cut and dry as, say, cancer is. Good luck. You're a pilot I take it? You should have a pretty comfortable chair in that job, no? Or is yours just a typical airline seat like in coach, in which case no wonder your back hurts.

01/10/2010 07:26 PM
jenvolley14
jenvolley14Posts: 90

I had surgery on April 7th of 2009. I have a diary on here to tell my journey. Reading your posts I do know a little about what you are talking about. Like other have said on here I had some trouble with my ribs. I actually had a fractured rib after the surgery. My curve was around 90 degrees before surgery so obviously my body took a while to get used to the new position. The pain I had before surgery is no longer there which was great. However I do have new pain around my shoulder blades. Depending on what I'm doing it can feel anywhere from a muscle spasm to an ice pick. I have been to the doctor for this and they say that this is a normal pain. They were surprised that it was happening this far out of surgery but they said it was normal. They explained it as: since the curve was so pronounced before the muscles did not work as much if at all. However, now that I have the correct posture my muscules are working and are not used to the "workout". They have given me PT which seems to be working. I also had a deep tissue massage which was a life saver!! They tell me that if the pain does not go away I will have to get some injections into the area where the pain is coming from.

So my suggestion would be to get some strength exercises for the pain. Stick to the workout even if it hurts like crazy. It will pay off!!

01/10/2010 10:10 PM
Dave747Pilot

Hey mark, good reply there, thanks for it. No I am not a commercial pilot yet, I am 21 and in training. I just had an MRI and pulmonary test done two weeks ago, and the MRI came back perfect and my FEV on the pulomanry test was actualyl 124%, which is almost a quarter better than what is considered 'healthy normal'...funny thing is I actually used to smoke almost 2 packs a day for YEARS. I attribute it to running and singing. So I guess my lungs are better than fine for now. My doctor says curves like mine, like you said, vary with what you do in life. However, part of being very young like me, my doctor suggests that it is an 'evolving decision' to get surgery.. New techniques and developments will continue to improve, so that when I truly DO need surgery (if I ever do anyway...) I will not have been cut open already. It's just another paradigm. People might heal better when they're young, but technology improves as you get old. Kindof a paradox

Post edited by: Dave747Pilot, at: 01/10/2010 10:10 PM

Post edited by: Dave747Pilot, at: 01/10/2010 10:11 PM

01/11/2010 04:35 AM
jenvolley14
jenvolley14Posts: 90

Dave if it makes you feel better about your curve. I had a curve of 90 and had the surgery to fix it and now it's probably in the high 50s. Now to me and everyone else I look just as "normal" as anyone else. I hope that your doctor said for you to get x-rays so then after a year or two you can get others to compare. If you see your curve getting more pronounced than surgery should be talked about...however, if you stay the same without much pain you are lucky!! Good luck to you!

01/11/2010 06:38 AM
Jamie123
Jamie123Posts: 99

Rena, my husband went to the p.t. Appt and they will not give him injections until he does 3months of 3days-week physical therapy. Looking at what Jen-volley said maybe that will help. The deep tissue massages seem to help him too.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved