MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/20/2012 10:11 PM

After-effects of RMSF(page 2)

Halima

Hi! I was recently diagnosed with RMSF and took 2+ weeks of Doxycycline. I'm definitely a lot better, but towards the end of the medication period it felt like the process was starting over. My underarms at times itched furiously (a couple of the worst spots when I had the rash), my head drifted in and out of a fog that made it hard to focus/converse/drive/etc., lots of mild headaches, weakness, and for the first time my hands and feet started going numb. Everything's improved at least somewhat but the numbness, which seems to be getting worse. It lasts more of the day, is starting to hurt, and my hands and feet are always freezing. It makes it difficult for me to write and draw (which makes me nervous, since I'm an artist). It's nothing terrible so far, especially considering what most of you guys on this site have been going through. But I didn't take the early symptoms of RMSF seriously and dragged the process out longer than it had to be, so if something troubling's afoot I'd like to figure it out as soon as possible. I'm also worried because certain symptoms didn't quite match up with RMSF, mainly the rash, which began at my chest/underarms and spread to my extremities (minus palms, soles, and face) and itched like hell. Does this sound normal?

09/21/2012 06:32 AM
Samdweed

Hello Halima- I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time. I wish I had some advice for you. As far as I can see, there is no "normal" when it comes to after affects. I have been undiagnosed or misdiagnosed so often, I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. The latest diagnosis is chronic fatigue, and I doubt that. I'm not really sure that it even has anything to do with RMSF, which I had 12 years ago. The symptoms are such that it could be a number of things, all hard to diagnose.

The 30 day antibiotic regimen I did had no effect. The best relief I have gotten is acupuncture, which has helped the neck pain and headaches tremendously. If I could get rid of the fatigue, I'd be back to almost normal, and that's what I pray for. Please keep us posted on your progress and try to stay positive. It's hard to do.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved