MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2009 07:43 PM

shooting pains 2

cella
cella  

Hi everyone

I missed another day at work...not only are my shooting pains and spasmodic pain in my wrists, ankles and feet, along with my swelling, my mid back pain that radiates to my ribs on my left side has increased to excruciating pain that woke me from my l hour of rest about 2 am this morning...my doc..had tests ordered for me that needed precertification...my insurance denied the tests and said I need another chest x ray first..so, I really should have gone to the emergency room but old habits are hard to break...I will try to hold on until Saturday...

I still can not wrap my mind around the journey this RA has brought me to...How does one go from being in optimum health to being dependent on so many doctors in 4 yrs????.....actually it may be 5 yrs...but still do you see my point?...I can't stand the smell of the hospital and the way the nauseating meds make me feel sicker...so, that is why I put it off...and my insurance company has been pretty good up until now..so, I had the discussion with them and also my doctors office...do the tests that were ordered by my doc..or if I cant take the pain anymore( I told them I have a rib wrap on to try and keep things in place and see if it helps with pain) I will have to go to the emergency room anyway....this does not make sense to me...

Sorry for rambling, but pain does leave one weary...

Today was my Wedding anniversary of 33 yrs...couldnt celebrate with hubby...instead he was at my side taking care of me...and I couldnt help thinking 33 yrs ago this day I was in great health and on my way to the altar to celebrate what turned out to be a fullfilling family life...so I guess there are good thoughts that sneak in every once in a while...Smile

10/24/2009 02:40 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Happy Anniversary, Cella. Sorry you couldn't really celebrate though. It sounds like you are flaring pretty bad. Do you have qualms about using prednisone to kick it? At my last appt my doc mentioned doing Pred iv's when i get really bad again. Didn't know about those and wondered why he made me suffer so much already. Might be worth asking about for yourself.

Now about your flare, it sounds bad. Can't you just go off on medical? I swore i would never put myself thru feeling like that and trying to work again. It only made everything worse. Your body is telling you to stop and rest and if you don't listen, there's a good chance you'll just get worse. I know it's not easy stopping everything, believe me I've been there, but I also like to think I've learned that my health has to come first. No job with all it's stresses is worth your health.

hugs, Donna

10/24/2009 07:01 AM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Cella, first of all, congratulations on 33 years with what must be a wonderful man!! Not many people can say they have that, and be so lucky. ( speaking from experience here...)

Now on to your excruciating pain. If it gets bad, please go to the ER ( or ED as they call them these days).... Trust me I know how much you hate hospitals, but sometimes they're the only ones who can help. We all know that you're waiting as long as you possibly can, but promise you'll do it if you need to!

You're in our thoughts... Hope you'll find some relief soon...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

10/24/2009 10:09 AM
cella
cella  

Hi Donna and Karen

I am still taking this one day at a time...the problem is , and I am sure you both agree, when you don't feel well you lose all track of time...I guess if I go to the ER I just want them to find out what is wrong and treat it...that is not what always happens.. in the past,I have gone there...only to be tested vaguely , given meds, and sent home and then have to be sent back by my doc and admitted. At other times, I was admitted almost immediately..my rib and back pain is still there but not as bad....this can fool you because just the other day when I thought it was subsiding it came back with excruciating pain in the middle of the night....so go figure....

In regard to prednisone, I know the routine from the doctor,(and I am tired of all the calls I have had to make to get this taken care of) so I started my self on that this morning..I just wanted someone to test me without any meds that might mask the real problem...couldn't wait anymore so lets see what happens from here on in.

I already told my boss that if this is not resolved over the weekend, that I probably won't be in Monday either. I just hope its not the pleurisy again..........its only been a couple of months and the tests that were taken a few weeks ago showed that I had recovered from it....at this point I don't know what to believe...so, my plan now is to try and nurse this at home and the minute the pain gets worse, just go to the ER.....

As far as going out on medical leave, I have considered it...I just can't get over that fact, that I might have to do that, I have been trying to make it until the end of the year, but my body is not cooperating. I always try to keep going and think that eventually things might get better. As I look back over my work record, I went from a productive employee, never missing a day at work and carrying over days into the next year, to steadily detriorating and struggling through the day. I have used all my paid time and as of now take FMLA as time without pay. I guess, I don't want to admit that RA has placed limits on me...if you notice my picture logo, I chose that because that is what I aspire to get back to being... we all must have hope..

10/24/2009 11:11 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Cella, first of all, happy anniversay! I'm sorry you could not celebrate with hubby but having him by your side is reason enough to celebrate Smile

I'm sorry you are dealing with so much and boy can I relate. I too have been going downhill quickly and wondering what the heck happened to the body of the person that I am? It's taking it's toll mentally too and trying to take over my life but I'm fighting it with everything I have. I have been so weak being able to do no nore than move from bed to chair to couch but mostly I need to be in bed. I am just so weak. I understand completely about the ER and wanting answers and all of that. You know though that even though I can relate, I must tell you that I agree you should go to the ER. I also think you should stop working, that is taking an extra toll on your body that is obviously not agreeing with you. Please keep us posted and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and if you need to talk, you can PM me at anytime. I can always lend a shoulder.

10/27/2009 06:12 AM
Cyrusray

Cella.....when you are ABLE....check to see what your SSD would be to

see if you can live with it....

I am amazed at how much WORSE some people have gotten in the last

few months!!! I feel that I am just not getting any BETTER!!! I

truly hope you find relief soon.

I know that right now, my ability to make good decisions, remember

details, get along with people, stay focused, and AWAKE would be very

difficult to do.....I am virtually worthless in the job market.

GOOD LUCK CELLA>>>> Consider all option

10/27/2009 03:55 PM
cella
cella  

Hi all

Thanks for all your support. I will check the SSD and see what I can find out.

I did go to the ER and then to my doc...

Well, the ER doc...checked and after taking pics...of my mid back...said it looked like I had a pinched nerve that radiates to the ribcage...great....

Then, I had to follow up with my primary doc...he checked me and when he pressed on a part of my rib cage, I almost jumped off the examining table..he thinks I have a fractured rib???? I can't even think of how I might of done that????..

okay, fast forward, I now have to go to an orthopedic doc...so that he can order the bone scan my insurance company wouldnt pre certify for my primary doc....

I wrapped my ribs and slowly got up and went to work today......it was unpleasant, but yippee! I made it through the day...now I can take the pain meds and rest....Smile

10/27/2009 08:14 PM
bearlie
bearlie  
VIP Member

Cella, my hubby had a pinched nerve in his back/shoulder/neck area a few years back. He had trouble with doctors, he was on so much pain meds he asked me who HE was, and he could not even sit to ride in a car. We had to lay him in the back of a jeep and when we got him to the hospital for his MRI, he couldn't stand to sit in a wheelchair so i had to go get ER people to wheel him in. It was a long process but he got better and now does pretty much what he wants to. It took awhile for him to heal and he wasn't having to deal with RA too. I can't even imagine going thru that with RA flaring. Please, if you can, just quit worrying about work and try to rest and heal.

Soft-warm-hugs,

Laura

10/29/2009 11:58 AM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Cella, if you have a broken rib please be careful. You don't need it puncturing a lung, woman! YEEEOUCH you must be hurting! Pinched nerves and herniated discs are terrible. I have a few in my back and my neck that are herniated, and I cant tell you the pain that I live with .. shooting pains, tingling, etc.. Its lovely on top of the RA stuff ( but most of you know it from your own experiences already!).

Chronic pain is so exhausting. So you wonder is this the RA fatigue or the chronic pain fatigue? Where does one distinguish from the other?

Please just take care of yourself, and push your insurance company if you have to. Tell them that if you have a fracture and it punctures your lung and you end up with a collapsed lung or pneumonia you'll sue them for lack of adequate care!!! Da%^ insurance companies. They really tick me off.

Rest when you can, and don't push yourself! xoxo

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved