MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/05/2011 05:03 PM

Lovaza

kym
kym  

Not that I'm counting the days or anything Blink my rheumy prescribed Lovaza on 3/17 and told me it would take 3 months before it worked. In my head there's a neon, with "6/18/2011" blinking bright pink. W00t

Has anyone taken Lovaza and had good results? If yes, how long did you take it before you noticed relief? What other drugs were you taking at the time? Were any drugs added afterwards?

For those wondering what Lovaza is... it is prescription strength (4 grams/day) omega-3 fish oil.

I'm really hoping it works because I'm on the max dose of MTX and I'm hurting in several places more and more every day, especially shoulders, collar bone/ribs/sternum, right knee, both hands, right hip. The flares aren't severe but they painful and affecting more places at once. Now with left shoulder and right knee as stiff as they can be in the morning, it takes a while to get out of bed.

So if anyone has feedback, please respond. I want to hear it all; the good, the bad, and the ugly experiences.

Thank you.

05/06/2011 02:20 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I took this med for about a month. Hubby is still taking it.

I really wish I could have continued becasue the health benefits are great.

I had to stop because it made me nauseous. We even cut dosage in half then half again.

Hubby had no problem.

I was usuing it for RA inflammation. Hubby uses it for heart inflammation. It really is a good med in that it decreases inflammation thruout the body.

05/06/2011 03:36 PM
kym
kym  

Thanks, bits. Has your hubby had better labs because of it? (lower cholesterol,etc.?)

I know what you mean about the nausea. I have had that on a few occasions but I think it's just bc those pills are so huge. There's a sensation that they are stuck or something.

I've been spending the past few days really focusing on dietary treatment. That is, foods high on the anti-inflammatory index. Here's the list so far. I also want to do one that lists foods to avoid (as I discovered to my disappointment turkey is on that list). Oh, also a note about the list... everything except the sweet potatoes is low glycemic.

1056 Pickled herring

763 Salmon, grilled

697 Tuna canned, white, in water

636 Almond butter

379 Cooked collard greens

378 Sweet Potatoes, baked

377 Oysters

276 Dry roasted almonds

257 Red Snapper, grilled

181 Avocado

129 Ginger, raw

128 Non-green bell peppers, raw

86 Halibut, baked

78 Spinach, raw

65 Pineapple, raw

49 Egg substitute

28 Strawberries, raw

26 Asparagus

05/06/2011 04:02 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

So far all tests show well for hubby.

They are huge, but I could swallow them fairly easily. Just made me so nauseous.

I even tried a few times more hoping I could take them. Couldn't stand the sickness.

05/06/2011 04:13 PM
kym
kym  

Good news about your hubby. But I'm sorry you can't take it. I was so excited about it because it's not poison like the MTX and not as scary or expensive as the biologics. I just hope rheumy is right, and I notice a difference come June.

And for you, I hope they can develop a way to take it that won't cause nausea. Especially if it works for RA inflammation.

05/07/2011 04:45 AM
Herblady
Herblady  

Kym, sure hope these work for you...I took them for 4 months with no effects...so I quit...the Vitamin D3 worked best for me, I take 5000IU a day....it took a few months...but the pain has decreased...

05/10/2011 01:33 PM
kym
kym  

Hey, Debi, thank you. I'm really hoping it works. I started doing 5,000 IU of the D3 also. Up from 3,000. This happened by accident, lol, I didn't have my reading glasses on when I bought the bottle. Anyway, I read that one would have to do about 100,000 IU for several months before overdosing so why not? Cheers!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved