MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/25/2009 12:32 PM

New to RA

u17cphv

I was just diagnoised with RA and I am feeling absolutely horrible. The first medication they put me on caused me to feel like I had severe morning sickness everyday. The next medication I have had an allergic reaction to, rash, itching, you name it. I go in tomorrow to get a new treatment plan. He is talking about moving me up to the next level of drugs. I just want to feel better. I am so tired of feeling sick, and sore. Does anyone have any good suggestions?Sick

02/25/2009 02:01 PM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Hi U17, and welcome. Sorry you are feeling so crappy. It does get rough at times and the only things I have found to even slightly help, before Dx and meds, is alot of rest which in turn makes the pain worse so....it just becomes a waiting game. What meds have you tried? Most of them come with side effects and some of them you will get used to and the side effects become less. Most of the meds take weeks to months to even begin working so antiinflammatories and a good painkiller are a must early on. The flare lengths vary and I'd like to tell you how long they last but I can't. Mine are always 8 months or longer and this latest one is a whopper and still going strong at over 10 months.

Try heat pads and rest. I know patience is hard but you'll need it.

Welcome again and don't be afraid to ask whatever you need to. Tis is a good group here.

Here's hugs to you feeling better.

02/28/2009 10:00 AM
empage09run
empage09runPosts: 4

Hi u17, hang in there! Remember that eventually things right themselves... despite the seeming impossibility of it. I can totally relate; that's what my experience with my ra & meds has been like as well. It can be difficult to deal with meds that have so many nasty side effects you have to start all over only to do the same and with each restart there is the waiting 4 to 8 weeks for them to actually work! It is really hard, especially when you're still trying to readjust and figure out where your identity now lies ... but you've come to a great place for support. It's important to have a network where you can not only receive the much needed support but where you can also give support. I hope that it begins to fall into place for you.

02/28/2009 10:55 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Gs and emp have some great advice. Most of the time it is a trial and error game. However, be encouraged, most find the right combo of meds and life becomes good again. Heat was always (still is) a huge factor in helping my pain. Resting joints, not overdoing, doing light stretches have given me anywhere from some to great relief. Gaining as much knowledge as I can, especially talking to others that have RA and incorporating some of their stratigies has been extremly helpful. Remeber knowledge shows you how and wisdom is the after effects of applying that knowledge. Even if something doesn't work for you, put it out there in the event it could help someone else. Of course, be honest and tell your experience with "whatever". We all are looking for things to make our lives more comfortable. Hold on sweetie, you will get ther. Hugs

03/19/2009 08:01 PM
Molly5
Molly5  

How are you doing these days? I came across your message from last month. I wondered if things had improved with your medication. I think mine makes me feel worse. This week there are times I can hardly walk. I'm 45 years old. This is all so wrong!!!! I went to the eye doctor today because the RA doctor wants to put me on something that could affect my eyes. This is so depressing! Take care, I hope you are seeing some relief from the pain. MollySideways

03/20/2009 06:41 AM
u17cphv

I am sorry you are not feeling well. I know it sucks! I was feeling really good while I was on the steriods but they wanted me off as quickly as possible. So of course, I have started to feel bad again. Yesterday it hurt so bad that I was tearing up. I really do hate this. I am just trying to figure it all out. I did start my new medication today, so we will see how that goes. I hope well, I am a little nervous.

Question for you. I have RA in my hands and feet but now my elbows are starting to hurt is that normal. To feel pain in other areas of your body? Can it spread that quickly?

Let me know how you are doing.

Tracy

03/20/2009 06:42 AM
u17cphv

Just checking in to see how you are feeling? I started my new medication tday, wish me luck.

03/20/2009 06:45 AM
u17cphv

Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely need it! I started my new medication today, so wish me luck. I am a little nervous that it will not work, or worse I will have major side affects.

I posted a question out there wondering if it was normal to feel pain in other joints that have not been specifically looked at to see if you have RA in that area. I know I have it my hands and feet but my elbows have started to hurt, and I do not no if that it is normal or if it can spread that quickly.

03/20/2009 06:47 AM
u17cphv

Good morning. So, I started my new medication today. I am a little nervous but hoping that it works.

Thanks for the great advice, I need all the help I can get. I was feeling so good while I was on the steriods, and now that I have been off for awhile the pain is back. I just want to get back to feeling good.

How are you doing?

03/20/2009 07:46 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Good morning, What is your new med? Are you taking anything for pain? It is so hard to wait on the meds to work...but hang in there sweetie, it will eventually all come together. Can the doc put you back on steroids until the RA med kicks in? We are here if you needs us...you are not alone. Hugs

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved