MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/03/2012 11:42 PM

Hello everyone- New to this group

kat533novel
kat533novel  

Sideways This smiley is kind of how I feel in life right now.

I went to my GP in October of 2011 and had her do a blood test for R.A because it runs in my family - 60% of family on dad's side have R.A - and with my aching back, and on- going fatigue I wanted to make sure I didn't have it..... To my complete surprise and terror the results came back positive. The doc told me a score of 14 or lower was normal and mine was a 56 and that she was referring me to a Rheumatologist. I sat at my work desk and cried for about 10 minutes.... Damn it, it was positive. I couldn't tell you how much I wished it was negative. I have watched my dad go through years of excruciating pain in his back and neck. I had listened to stories of an Uncle who was bed ridden at age 50 with deformed hands and legs..... GOD it scared the hell out of me to think I had this too. To be honest, it still scares me. but I know that I can't roll over and give up yet. I have had many fights in my life and this is just the next one in line.

Let me say now that I greatly appreciate all the support and wonderful people on this sight that have helped me before. I can't really sit here and just complain or fret about the crap in my life and not offer something good of my self back to you all. I hope I can be of some support for others as well. Thanks for listening and GOD Bless.

01/04/2012 03:48 AM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Hi kat and welcome. I guess Sideways would be an appropriate reaction to the diagnosis! Having such a strong hereditary factor, it was wise of you to get tested despite your fears. Now you can face it head on and start your treatment. The preferred method now is early and aggressive to stop or at least slow down any progression. It was different years ago.. they often let it go and just had people take aspirin for the pain. Not so anymore.

Empower yourself with knowledge and information. It will make you feel better. Do research, read through old posts here, ask questions... all will make you feel you have a better grasp and more control of the situation.

We'll be here with you through the journey, and completely understand what you're feeling!!

By the way, yes you can fret and complain... you're allowed to here. We often lovingly refer to it as a "whine and cheese party." Wink

Take care, get some rest, don't push yourself, and let us know what the doctors say.

01/04/2012 08:15 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

Hi Kat

Unsure that's my face when I was first told. I was in a state of shock(denial)DX 12/09

You are sure strong to met this head on. taking good care of yourself is of great importance and your at the head of the class. I admire that.

It's a great group of folks here. I joined on 1-11-11, and they have taught me so much of strength, and health.

Glad you found MDJ and us, sorry for the reason why you had to look.

Blessings CLAP

Post edited by: claphappy, at: 01/04/2012 08:21 AM

01/04/2012 01:08 PM
kat533novel
kat533novel  

Thanks for the kind words, they mean the world to me. My family still doesn't know what to do with all this- so i'm kind of on my own right now. It will change and my children are wonderful, but it takes them time to get involved. As my page explains, my husband suffers from Bi- Polar nad he is kind of lost right now in how to support me. New Territory for us all. I'll keep in touch and thank you all soo much.

01/04/2012 03:13 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

Hi Kat,

Welcome to the world of RA Warriors! There is a web site called RA warrior, if you are interested. Many here have fought a tough battle against RA. Some are doing great, others not so great. But, those who do fantastic are probably not active here, because they are in remission and don't need our support. I'm in a state of near remission. Most of my swelling and pain is gone, for the most part, but I have the occasional flare.

I know that years ago people went through terrible pain and deformity. These days, if you are on the right meds, this is greatly reduced. If caught soon enough you might have no deformity. So, there is hope. Here's hoping you get on the meds, that are right for you, very soon. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing, ok?

01/04/2012 03:45 PM
aval7
aval7  

hello and welcome kat...my father just like yours also had RA..nad in 2000 i was also Dx with RA..i've led a normal and productive life the last 12 yrs..with RA yes it's a bit harder but life will continue and you'll be ok..the meds are so much better than they were 20 yrs ago..and improving every year..this is a great group of people and are very supportive and also welcome the support of new members..again welcome and hang around and join in any and all forums you'd like..Ann

01/04/2012 04:39 PM
jlynne66
jlynne66  

Hello kat...

Just last week I got the same news as you. I can totally understand how you are feeling. I'm sorry it has happened to you.

I just wanted to welcome you and let you know you are not alone. There is a lot of good information on here and soon your eyes will be so sore from reading! Smile

01/05/2012 01:42 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Hi Kat,

I am glad you found us. Much support is given here.

I assume you haven't seen a rheumy yet? but will be.

Now, I want to tell you something that may help you feel better. The test you had is not all there is in dxing RA. There are several others in addition to clinical presentation.

Many folks are RA negative, yet have RA. And there are a few cases of RA postive, yet are not RA.

RA is a complex disease and requires a skilled rheumy in making the call. He/she will do numerous tests, perhaps x-rays, do thourough clinical presentation, consider family members having it, and talk to you about what is and has been going on.

Then he will take the sum of all factors and determine IF it is RA.

If you do have RA there are many meds to help slow progression and hopefully put you in remission.

I know it is scary. Especially, if you have witnessed family members that have battled.

We are here for you dear.

Hugs

01/05/2012 04:24 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Hi Kat, welcome. We all remember when we were told we had it. One of the scariest times of my life. Your biggest weapon is you are being proactive. The meds these days are much better then before. We're here for you.

Hugs, Donna

01/05/2012 07:15 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

Hi Kat, and welcome!

After all the replies above, i don't need to say much about how amazing people in this group are... Smile

This May it will be 30 yrs since i got RA, when i was 4. With all that time since diagnose, i have witnessed how treatment has really, and i mean REALLY, changed. When i started, drs had this pyramid as guideline for med treatment, the bottom was the most used and what you would get started with and stay on for a while. After months of years, if that didn't work, you went up the pyramid for stronger stuff. And guess what was at the bottom? Aspirin, as Karen said! Today treating RA with aspirin really does sound like a joke. Things have chanfed so much that aprox 15 yrs ago they turned the pyramid upside down! Now they start with strong meds. Thei dea is, RA is an aggressive disease, so you need aggressive treatment.

Your dad an uncle probably had to deal with a completely different medical approach. Prognosis now is sooo much better, the future never brighter!

Let yourself feel all these feelings, and come here ANY time to share them. And arm yourself with info to try and stay on top of your treatment options. That is power, and no dr can know exactly what is going on in your body. They help, but you lead. Hugs!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved