MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/19/2009 08:59 AM

to many Zucchini and blueberries

cookingwithra
cookingwithra  

Hi everyone, I wanted to share a recipe with you. My son went his his garden last night and found he had so many zucchini. I aso got an email yesterday about blueberry recipes which I found came at the right time because I have alot of blueberries. I needed away to use some of this up so I came up with this recipe and it was sooooo good I thought I would share it. I hope you like it. I think I may need a new food processor, I used it for 20 stright minutes shredding zucchini. So today is all about zucchini in my house every way I could think to make it. It was not a great day for me pain wise so I have inlisted the whole family, i can't say that they are that happy about it.

Backwards mini Zucchini Blueberry Bread

8 mini loafs or one large loaf

1/3 cup canola oil

1 cup Zucchini

½ cup plump blueberries

½ cup chopped pecans

1 cup sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 egg, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla , Watson brand is best for this recipe

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

Pinch of salt

2 cups of all-purpose flour

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix oil into zucchini, blueberry and pecans in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, cinnamon and beaten egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a prepared wilton mini loaf pan (8 loafs) or 1 standard loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool completely on wire cooling racks.

Cooks notes : Baking time varies mini loafs cook time is 45 minutes loaf time is one hour Tongue

07/19/2009 09:29 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

That sounds fabulous! I have saved it so I can make it. I love these kinds of bread...especially zucchini.

I have a question. I use pure vanilla but have always wondered if Watson brand did make a difference.

Do you think it is a notable one?

Thanks.

07/19/2009 09:58 AM
cookingwithra
cookingwithra  

Yes, Watson has a great product. I use vanilla bean when ever possible , but as you may know the cost is quite high. I personally like vanilla oil when I do not have beans but again the cost. I started replacing my prue vanilla with Waston when I got a free sample, I noticed a difference in my cakes, pure is better . But I do not notice a taste difference in breads such as this or in cookies that contain brown sugar. I guess what I am trying to say is for things like this Waston is a perfect choice for me. I am eating some this recipe right now and I think it just got better when it had time to cool it is really moist. I hope you enjoy this recipe and I hope I answered your question, I think I began to ramble , lol

07/19/2009 10:20 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Another question

What differnce in using the bean rather than oil? I love to cook but do so little of it. So when I am able to cook, I buy the very best things to cook with...no matter the cost.

So any info you have will help me.

My hubby indulges me simply because I cook so rarely which means we are not spending oodles of money everyday, since my cooking is probably once a month.

Thanks

Hugs

Keep sending recipes...I love it.

07/19/2009 10:51 AM
cookingwithra
cookingwithra  

The bean is not as strong as a flavor as the oil, but it is a fresh fragrant flavor . When you use a bean you are only using the soft middle of the bean. Once you extract the middle you can place the empty bean shell into a container of sugar sealed for one week or longer and have vanilla sugar. Pure vanilla has one of the most complex tastes , it has over 250 organic components creating its unique flavor and aroma , The beans are graded kind of like meat with grade A and grade B. B is what is used to make extract. there are several varieties of vanilla beans but there are only two varieties of vanilla that are used commercially to make vanilla extract --Bourbon and Tahitian . The vanilla bean is ground or smashed and then ground, added to ethyl alcohol , sugar and water to make extract . Sometime there is corn syrup , Carmel and color added to the extract mixture. This process changes the taste. I guess you could say it is a matter of preference or taste of the user that make the difference . In my opinion pure is always better for both health reasons and taste. I feel once they start adding chemicals and things to change the flavor it could not be good for you. However some people do not like the taste of prue vanilla or vanilla beans and only like the extract because that is all they ever had.

I hope this helps a little .

07/19/2009 11:46 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Honey,

You are a wealth of info. Thank you. I will probably be bothering you asking so many questions. LOL.

I get so excited about cooking. Yes, I do!

Hugs

Please PM me anytime.

07/19/2009 12:39 PM
cookingwithra
cookingwithra  

You are welcome ask any time. If I am thinking about cooking I get a brief break from mr. Arther , lol. I really enjoy food any thing that has to do with it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved