MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2012 08:16 PM

enbrel

11karin

hello im new here, my name is Karin,i have had R.A. for a year now, i am now on the 3rd type of treatment,enbrel, it has been 5 weeks, dont feel much better, anyone have advice?

05/11/2012 08:44 PM
kjv1956
kjv1956  

11karin- Welcome to MD and the RA family,

There are many here that will be able to give you great advice. I have only had my Dx for three months. Had no idea what I was living with. You will find alot of support and great people here. Sounds like you have some info of your own to share. What meds have you been on and what happened on them. Tell us about yourself. The more info all of us have the more power we have. Share Share Share

kjv1956

05/12/2012 06:20 AM
Alycam
AlycamPosts: 107

Hi Karin, welcome to the group. I took Enbrel for a while, can't remember how long, and it didn't work for me. I do remember that my rheumy said it would work within 2 months if it was going to. I think I took it for about 4 or 5 months before he changed to Remicade. When do you see your rheumy again?

05/12/2012 11:09 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I did 4 shots of Enbrel. Was magic for me...for awile.

Before the 2nd injection I was in remission. Wonderful remission.

Till the 4th shot when I noticed the last 3 injection sites were sweollen, tender, and red.

The next day I was hospitilized with cellulitis in all 3 sites. Stayed in the hospital for 5 days. I assume the 4th injection did not have time to turn to cellulitis since treatment began so soon after I did it.

No more Enbrel for me. I cried, I begged for it.

It had worked so well for me I was willing to take chances. The doctors were not.

I realize they are doing what is best for me and appreciate their concerns and skills.

However, I would try it again IF given the chance.

I wish everyone could have the success I had without the serious side effects. Including me.

Don't give up hope dear. It still may work.

Hugs

05/12/2012 01:19 PM
kym
kym  

Hi Karin. Welcome!

I just did my second injection of Enbrel on Weds night. I think my right hand might be a little better, but other than that I only notice that my old pal, a cold sore, popped up and was worse than usual. I don't know if that's due to immune suppression or not.

What I love about Enbrel is there are no side effects... well, except for what dear bits describes. Sounds like it took a few weeks before the Enbrel started doing its job. And it was doing its job. Too well.

Bits, it's a shame you can't just take a lower dose, or every two weeks or something. Because based on the side effects, as ironic as that is, you can objectively say that it did work. It bonded with TNF and shut the inflammatory response signal down.

I can't even see any evidence that I gave myself injections. Nothing to see there. But I'll watch. This coming weds. is the third dose.

05/12/2012 01:20 PM
kym
kym  

Oh, I have a question for you all.

the Enbrel box says to keep the stuff in the fridge. But that cold injection really hurt. There's no danger in leaving it out for an hour or two before injecting it, is there?

05/12/2012 01:52 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

Hi Karin,

Welcome. I don't have any advice about Enbrel. I've been very lucky that the 1st thing I was put on has helped greatly. Did the other drugs give you bad side effects or just not work? I really hope the enbrel kicks in and takes away the pain and any inflammation you have.

05/12/2012 02:10 PM
Alycam
AlycamPosts: 107

Kym, you can leave it out for 30 minutes before injecting.

05/12/2012 06:37 PM
trixie60
trixie60  

no, do NOT leave your Enbrel out for more than about 30 mins. an hour or 2 is way too long. the med will warm up within 10 mins. I've taken it cold and warmed up. much rather having it warmed up. I threw one injection pen away because it had been out several hours. I had placed it on my table, and it had rolled off, I forgot I had it out and went somewhere. didn't take a chance on it after sitting out for several hours.

I've taken Enbrel for almost a year, and that's the 2nd time. I was on it for 7 months first time, then lost my insurance. It has worked for me, but it does take quite a few weeks. I'd give it another month, then if no change, talk to your rheum about switching. I've also taken Humira, I seemed to have more sinus infections with it, as I'm prone to them from food allergies/sinus drainage. I"ve had no problems with Enbrel. hope yours begins working soon!

05/12/2012 08:14 PM
11karin

i see her next month, did you have any problems with depression while taking enbrel?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved