MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/10/2012 07:01 AM

Brain lesions - MS ? RA ? Any ideas ?

Northernelf

So I went back to my rheumy after my head & neck MRI. It was the second time I have seen him & he said there were lesions in my brain and was sending me to a neurologist ASAP to get it checked as it could mean possible MS.

After a lot of reading I don't think I have MS unless it's early onset(?). I don't have numbness, tingling, loss of balance or control, trembling, etc.

I have joint pain, bad knee pain, hands/wrists/fingers...and elbows & ankles, all symmetrical. My joints (knees and an elbow) make noises. I had to drive and hour & a half to see him & my hands/wrists/elbows really hurt from driving - I asked him why that would be if it was MS and he said that could cause that pain. When I asked him how likely MS was, he said it was out of his realm of expertise.

I didn't have many more questions as I was a little shell shocked. My bloodwork is seronegative for RA but a lot of my symptoms seem to match.

So, as I wait for the neuro appointment, I am putting it out there - has anyone else had similar experience ?

05/10/2012 07:14 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Northern, do you get migraines? that could be another cause for lesions.

I had 2 show up on MRI about 15 yrs.ago. Tested then for MS. Negative.

Then 2 or 3 years ago, another MRI because i was getting nerve eye pain with the migraines. 8 more lesions so now I have 10. Nothing is done for mine because of where they are at. put thru all the MS tests again and again negative. Neuro only guesses at a few things. The migraines are causing them or they are causing some of the migraines. The Lupus is causing them. It is just common to get them with autoimmune diseases. He doesn't seem to worried so I don't pay it no mind anymore. Just get a yearly brain MRI to check on them. It did use to freak me out though.

I hope yours are no big deal too. praying for you.

Hugs, Donna

05/10/2012 01:18 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Several years ago a friend was dxed with MS after lesions showed up. But, she had all the symptoms.

As far as being seronegative for RAD I am. Yet, I present clinically with RAD. So dx of RAD. There are many that show seronegative and have RAD.

donna, I have no doubt it is frustrating as h### to not be able to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Doesn't it seem like the more serious our health issues become the less answers we have?

I sure miss the days of a bad cold.

Sigh...

Praying for both of you.

Hugs

05/11/2012 09:13 PM
cella
cella  

Northern

I do have brain lesions, neurologist monitors them with an MRI every 6 months to note changes, mine have increased, but the doc said they were non specific?...then he said it could be from Lupus?(I have a positive ANA but was told it was from the RA)...My spinal tap did not have the markers for MS...so I don't think I have MS...although I do get vertigo more often now and have had vision problems...

I think the lesions have to have a certain pattern to indicate MS...

these autoimmune diseases can leave you wondering because of the overlapping symptoms...

05/12/2012 04:52 PM
bearlie
bearlie  
VIP Member

Northernelf, i do have brain lesions. I have bad headaches, head numbness and i test positive for lupus although they tell me i don't have it. After a CAT scan, my neurologist said it might be mini strokes and put me on low dose aspirin. Just another thing to keep an eye on.

Hope everything goes well for you.

05/13/2012 07:16 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Bits, it is frustrating to have have so many things unexplained.

As far as i know with AI diseases...MS and Lupus are the the ones that cause brain lesions.

Bearlie, how do test pos for it, yet not have it? How did the doc explain that?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved