MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/07/2012 07:18 AM

PAINFUL JOINTS

bits
bits  
VIP Member

My shoulders, especially left one, are hurting badly. Yesterday, I dropped off Hannah's registration to a beauty pageant and thought I was going to collapse walking back to the truck.

It was only a very short walk. Walking to the house was ok, walking back felt like both my feet turned to painful water.

I have experienced knees doing this but never both feet.

For a few days, now, my hands, feet, elbows, and shoulders have been extremely painful. Not constantly, more in waves.

Although shoulders and elbows are not new they are different in the sense they are far worse.

Poor Chuck had to rub Vick's Salve on the shoulder areas I could not. I think he cried. Not from my pain, but from the strong smell he truly hates.

Ok, good thoughts.

I will be making an Angel Food Cake today. Cassie will be making Roast Beef/Potaoes/Carrots, Creamed Corn, Yeast Rolls. A good supper awaits us.

I will also be slicing up strawberries and adding sugar to them to create a yummy topping for the Angel Food Cake. And to top that off freshly whipped cream.

Can hardly wait.

Hugs

05/07/2012 08:27 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Hope you feel better soon, Bits. Shoulder joint pain is always highly painful for me. They have been flaring since the first botox shots along with the muscles. Doc's thought i was crazy when I told them the Botox flared the joints. Supposedly it should only hurt the muscles and nerves maybe. So Rheumy is treating them as RA and raised pred again. It helps.

I overdid the last 2 days. Even sore, I started sanding the deck. My plan to not overdo is a 5x5 section on days I'm up to it and it should be ready for paint in 3 to 4 weeks. I did a section 2 days ago and another one yesterday. I was miserable last night and am miserable today. Pain meds aren't helping. Pain levels are already to high for them to help. I have not had much swelling in the past few weeks and my wrists this morning....wow. Can't move my head at all. Sick of never being able to do anything without paying later for it.

You have a good day and take it easy. that's my plan.

Hugs, Donna

05/07/2012 09:05 AM
jlynne66
jlynne66  

Sorry to hear this Bits. I too am flaring. Hands, wrists super sore and I found my first nodule on my right index finger. Neck is acting up again too. YUK!

05/07/2012 10:50 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

donna, be sure to take pain meds BEFORE high level of pain. For instance if you know you will be working on deck take 30 mins prior to work and STILL stay within set times.

Even if your pain is mild BEFORE work do not disregard taking pain med.

Talk to your doc about possible incresing milligrams when flare hits hard. I can take 15mg of hydro when pain hits me too fast/hard for usual milligrams to calm.

It really works.

I have only had to do this several times, thank God. So many times I was hit hard and tried bringing the pain down with 4 dosages of 10mg hydro and it never worked.

Then doc okyed taking 15mg and what do you know...it worked. Only once I have had to take 2nd dose of 15mg. Then back to my usual 3-4 pills a day.

The relief made me want to cry.

Please, no one ever increase pain meds unless doc approved. There are reasons we are given the dosages we have. And they all are very serious.

If your meds are not controlling pain always talk to doc. Sometimes we simply become tolerant of our pain med. Other times pain has increased to the point more help is needed.

jl, I am sorry you are hurting. Praying you and donna find easement soon.

Hugs

Post edited by: bits, at: 05/07/2012 10:51 AM

05/07/2012 10:55 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

My dinner plans have changed a bit. I will be making Buttermilk Pound Cake instead of Angel Food Cake. It is easier.

Cassie will be making Pork Roast rather than Beef Roast.

We will have corn on the cob instead of cream corn.

Everything else remains the same.

LOL!

Always something...

Hungry Hugs

05/07/2012 12:25 PM
kym
kym  

Ouch, bits.

I think the shoulder is the worst pain of all of them. Lower extremity pain, like hips and ankles make it tough to walk. But the pain in the shoulder I hate the most because there seems to be no way to rest it to ease the pain. It hurts no matter if it's in a sling or resting on a pillow or anything. I just sleep with Prince Vicodin when the shoulder flares. Although fortunately for me it's not been as bad over the past several months.

I just realized something though. I've never had pain in my elbows. I know the RA has been there bc my left elbow has a "Popeye" nodule hanging off of it. Really sexy! Sad

Your dinner sounds yummy! We're having pork, too. We bought Mongolian pork tenderloin kabobs yesterday to try tonight. I'm going to just throw them on the grill and call it dinner. I also got a bottle of my favorite wine, a viogner, yesterday. It's gonna go nicely, I think!

05/07/2012 02:01 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

Bits and GOS-Donna. I hope your pain will subside one way or the other. Blessings of health.

I was just trying yo decide where is the worst pain? For me it's my elbow. Then Kym said she never hurt there. I wish I could say the same thing. So different this RA

Tongue on RA

05/07/2012 03:26 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Even though all my joints can make me scream I agree the upper part of my body makes me feel the worst. Especially my hands.

My shoulders are the absolute worse when they flare. As kym said...you just can't stop them from hurting. Only taking pain med and muscle relaxer will calm the pain.

I made a wonderful beautiful yummy Buttermilk Pound Cake a few hours ago. I know it's good because the crumbs are super tasty. Mmmm...

i like to do most all my baking using my hands and a wooden spoon verses mixer because it really does turn out differently...much better in appearance and taste.

I decided to count how many times I mixed, stirrred, blended, and folded.

Are you ready for this?

In all it was more than 1,200 times. Just the eggs alone was 500. The combinding 2 sticks softened butter and 3 c sugar was 600 times. I used a fork.

Then was the fresh lemon juice, vanilla. And finishing with folding in 3 c flour and 1 c buttermilk.

I can not tell all of you what a pure pleasure creating this cake was for me.

I am pretty sure the pain pill and muscle relaxer has been taken in time to ward of a full fledged flare.

As soon as I sat down after making the cake and popping it oven my shoulders and hands turned on me. Viciously.

But, like mentioned I think I caught it in time.

Yummy Cake Hugs

05/07/2012 03:37 PM
Alycam
AlycamPosts: 107

Yum!!! Wish we could all share your cake, bits!! Smile

I agree with you all--shoulder pain is the worst. My feet hurt all the time, but I am used to that. I have a knot/nodule on my collar bone, right under my throat. It rarely hurts, but when it does, it is like it is burning--very odd sensation.

05/08/2012 04:15 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Bits, glad the pain meds worked for you and you were able to stir-bake. Cake sounds scrumptious. I have a hard time even with a handmixer. Just makes the shoulder and hand ache and lock up.

I do use painkiller and muscle relaxer before projects, especially when I'm up for grass cutting. They just never work well if I am using my body. Sitting around and they are okay. I tried a few times to talk to Rheumy about it and he just says to stop doing the things that make me hurt. He doesn't seem to get that that is everything and it depresses me further to just lay around all the time staring at walls and not the way I will live life. I wasn't even looking for new meds, just wanted him to know what using my body does to me. No, I already do work in set times, space parts of the same project out by days and sometimes weeks, and stop everything when I am flaring. I WILL NOT, not do anything all the time unless my body makes me with unbearable pain levels. Why is that so hard for even a doc to understand? Do they not understand I would be living in filth and my house would be falling apart? The fact that it drives me crazy to be lazy and gets me moving even with lower pain levels should be a good thing.

Bits, I;m not sure what 15mg of Hydro is? I have Norco - 750. I thought that meant mg but they can't if 15mg is high to you. What's the difference? I usually use 2 a day. 4 if they are not working well and this sounds so bad but 6 to 8 with migraine and eyepain. My docs know this and are trying to help. I can get maybe an hour of some relief for the eyes and then suffer badly for 2 more hrs till next dose around the clock. This is when I am crippled with head and face pain only, can't sleep thru it, but it happens so often. Then bam...out of the blue I'll have 1 or 2 good days and not even think to use any even for joints or muscles.

Clap, I've only had bad elbow pain thru one monster flare. You're right elbow pain can hurt pretty good too and really hard to get under any control.

I fell asleep last night before taking muscle relaxer. Mistake. Neck is worse and I have my first headache since shots last week not caused by the shots. Darn. RA is better though and back to sporadic. It's rainy today so that forces me to rest my joints another day from deck work. I won't complain.

Wishing everyone a good day today.

Hugs, Donna

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved