MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/25/2012 07:43 PM

?? Sun sensitivity with RA?

deb27

Ok, so I have been doing fairly well this past week but went out in the sun today for about 2 hours, under an umbrella with a sunscreen and am sore as heck tonight.

Is there anyone else out there with RA who is sensitive to the sun?? I am beginning wonder if I have mixed connective tissue disease or lupus. This drives me so crazy. My ANA is positive, Sed rate is high but that is it. My doc is tapering my steroids so he can x ray me and think about putting me on mtx. Any thoughts for me?

It's been since last summer since I've had much sun until now. Thanks!

04/25/2012 10:38 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Sun has never bothered me. My DIL was dxed with Lupus 2 years ago and is very sensetive to the sun.

In fact she was 15 when the sunlight began affecting her badly. She was dxed as being allergic to the sun. Also, her periods became totally messed up and she is infertile.

It took 10 years to properly dx her. She nearly died with a bloodclot in one lung the size of a man's fist at age 25.

Long hospital stay and many tests finally determined she had Lupus.

She now is on Lupus meds and takes a large dose of blood-thinners daily. Will have to for the rest of her life because of the severity of bloodclots she experienced.

She is 27. Was dxed at 25, yet had glaring Lupus symptoms at age 15.

It would be a good idea to discuss sun sensitivity with doc.

Hugs

04/26/2012 03:17 AM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Ive had sun sensitivity (rash, itching) for as long as I can remember, along with the female problems too. Never bothered to get it checked though. Figured those are just things you live with.

04/26/2012 03:35 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I have MCTD and am highly sensitve to sun. The itching/rashes is miserable for about the first 6 weeks. I know this sounds crazy but I like my tans, love sun, and refuse to stay out of it. I am already trapped inside 8 months a year with raynauds and I refuse to give summer up as well. Once I get past the initial itching, I just have days where I get fatigued, nauseated, flulike symptons just from being in sun. Those days I get out of it and stay out.

This year, I have decided to try the spray tans instead and limit my time tanning with sun. I am just not up to dealing with the weeks of severe itching.

04/26/2012 06:35 AM
deb27

My sister got a spray tan in Florida and it looked so natural!! I've also heard there are some organic spray tans. I have no problem using the tans in the bottle and I tan easily b/c I have olive skin. I just hate the aches and pains I get. I didn't bring my SPF clothes either. There is part of me that still wonders if it isn't a coincidence with the sun sensitivity. Maybe I was going to have pain that day anyway, ya know? But I am beginning to believe there is a pattern.

04/26/2012 12:04 PM
JACKIEH
JACKIEH  

I have always had a sensitivity to sun, but I am a red head, pretty stupid of me to come and live in greece, lol. I hate heat and the sun, I have rashes as soon as it begins to get warm. I love the brightness of the sun just not the heat. I get rashes in my scalp, neck chest. Its awful and itchy. Saying that my rheumy did tell me that mtx can cause sun sensitivity and to stay in the shade and wear a high factor sun screen, which I do anyway, factor 50 lol.

Just curious now, how many of those who have skin sensitivity also haave a low body temperature?

04/26/2012 01:15 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

My grandson Zach (16) is a redhead. The sun doesn't like his fair skin and he burns very easily if he doesn't use a high sunblocker. He never tans because of the sunblocker but will burn over and over without it.

He never has had a rash no matter how many times he has been in the sun.

My friend, Peggy (67), was dxed at age 62 with the kind of Lupus that only affects the skin. I think it is called Discod Lupus.

Ever since she was a kid she lived in the sun. Loved it. Loved swimming and laying out.

Never had a problem being an olive skin brunnet until age 62. Then she began developing skin rashes, especially on her scalp, neck, and chest as well as other areas. And they were itchy.

Sometimes you can have drug induced Lupus. Sometimes it falls thru the cracks...like my DIL.

I have tested positive twice for Lupus but do not have it because I do not present clinically. I would imagine if I were to become sensetive to the sun Lupus would be added to my other health issues.

If you haven't told doc about the sun sensitivity along with rashes/itching you need to.

Ever since RAD my normal body temp is 97.2. I also am either too hot with sweat pouring off my entire body or too cold with heat cranked up to high, heating pad on high, blankets covering me and still not as warm as should be.

All I can do is strip off clothes turn A/C on high and wait to cool off. Or if hot do as above mention and wait.

I know something is wrong with my body thermostat and my normal temp is totally off since RAD. Now, if my temp is 98.6 I can tell I am a bit feverish much the way it used to be at 99.8.

How our body does change...

Hugs

Post edited by: bits, at: 04/26/2012 01:17 PM

04/26/2012 02:45 PM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

I haven't been out in the sun for an appreciable amount of time in at least 5 years. I am on WAY too many meds that say AVOID EXPOSURE TO UV OR SUNLIGHT WHILE ON THIS MEDICATION. Methotrexate is one, Plaquenil is another. Also for my anemia meds as well. Plus, sometimes (and I know this sounds weird) my fibromyalgia will have a major flare if I've been out in the sun for a while.

Post edited by: JaynieBeth, at: 04/26/2012 02:46 PM

04/26/2012 05:26 PM
deb27

The humidity can be bad too. I was out in the sun today but under a dark umbrella with sunscreen, so far, so good......

04/26/2012 07:54 PM
lakelady
lakelady  

I had red-blonde hair before it started to turn silver and yes I burn if I stay in the sun more than 10 min. It makes me itchy too.Tested neg.for lupus,but who knows,not much would surprise me now.And yes my body temp runs normally around 97.1.If it goes higher than that I feel feverish.Because of the RA?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved