MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/23/2012 11:47 PM

Need info from you all on PNN.

kat533novel
kat533novel  

Hello everyone. I hope all is going as good as possible. It has been a month or so since I've been on here. I have my first follow up with my Rheummy on the 5th of May. I went in and had the standard blood tests done again. ANA, Inflammation test, and something else I can't remember.

I went to my PCP last week for my Vitamin D and B- 12 levels to be checked again. Low as usual so now on prescription Vit. D.50,000 IU's a week. I've been on Vit D supplement OTC for 2 years and my levels have only come up to 34 which is barely above normal, Dr said it should be much higher seeing how I'm on the supplement.

My question to you all is I have been experiencing pain in my right wrist for about 6 months now. No swelling, a little red but weakness and stabbing and aching pain. My PCP said it might be peripheral nerve neuropathy. My PCP said she wants to wait till my Thyroid Issues settle down before she has any more testing done. Have any of you experienced this or is it the R.A affecting the joint.

Until then I can wear a brace but I have to do range of motion exercises every night to keep my strength and movement.

Just wanted to know if any of you have seem this before or heard about it. Thanks for the info and insight. Take care and have a good night.

Kat

[b]

04/24/2012 12:49 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I have periphreal neuropathy (left buttock to toes on the outside of leg) for 20 years.

The pain is different that my OA/RAD/Psuedogout pains. My PN pain is a burning one. It feels like scalding hot water flowing in my veins. A clear path from butt to toes about 2 inches in width traveling downward.

One of the worst pains I ever experienced.

In the beginning it put me in a wheelchair for 2 months. I had to take huge doses of Neurotin and Elavil to be able to stand it.

After the first year all has mostly been controlled. I now take 1200mg Neurotin for control.

I can tell the difference in my pains. Especially nerve pain and arthritic pain.

Hope you figure it out.

04/24/2012 01:44 PM
kym
kym  

Hi kat.

When I flare in my right wrist, it sets off what is usually a very mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome. As bits described her pain, it is excruciating and "burning". I don't mess around when it starts now; I pop a Vicodin and get ice on it. All this to chime in and say that yes, it sounds like nerve involvement, possibly due to the inflammation from RA putting pressure on the nerve. Do you have a rheumatologist to consult about it?

hmm I haven't had my Vit D checked in two years. It was 12 then, but I take 3000 units per week. I have a rheumy visit next week and will ask him about it.

Hope you find the answer soon, and get some relief.

04/25/2012 02:39 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I stay on low end of VIT D levels too. Have been as low as 6. Spent almost 2 years on scripted 50,000 IU. I still have never been above 32 but my body can sure tell the difference between 6 and 32.

Neuropathy is common with inflamed joints. Inflammation puts pressure on muscles, nerves, tendons, and ligaments. At times during flares, I just want to crawl out of my skin. At others, it is Carpals Tunnel acting up, or legs and arms falling asleep constantly.

Life's always better at the Beach!

Hugs, Donna

04/25/2012 04:03 PM
kat533novel
kat533novel  

Thank you for the responces. It sounds exactly like what I'm feeling. Burning in the outside of my wrist and if I apply pressure to the joint WOW! what a zing.

I popped my wrist the other day opening a jar of olives and almost went to my knees. I'm not used to feeling that level of pain so intensly. I do know Heat helps especially with the burning feeling. I have my Rheummy appt next week on Wednesday and I'll talk to him about it. Thanks again everyone.

Kat

04/25/2012 06:04 PM
kjv1956
kjv1956  

Also feel the pain in the wrists. Carpul Tunnel Syndrome. I did not know for several years that it is caused by RA as well. For five years bits and pieces of me have become a living pain center. I still cannot wrap my head around the whole RA thing. It just goes around and around. I know it will settle at one point but even after two months I am shocked at each new piece of info and how it relates to me. I learn so much from each of you. This disease is just warped and evil.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved