MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/19/2012 11:49 AM

Doctors appt today

Alby1977
Alby1977  

So I had my doctors appt, he changed MTX to Plaquenil 100mg twice a day everyday, Predisone not the medrol pak, and some percocets.

Also I have sojourns disease. he said my lungs are clear, he said the cough and conjestion could be related to RA.

So will be starting the Plaquinel next week, any nasty side affects??

04/19/2012 12:11 PM
libyana
libyana  

Alby I have been on Plaquenil now for 3 mths & no side effects...I take 200mg in morning with my breakfast couple bites toast then the pill then I eat some cereal to take my prednisone.Same in the evening with dinner...I think that eating at same time is the answer.......Hope it works out for you Laughing

Libyana

04/19/2012 03:54 PM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

I've been on plaquenil for a little over 2 years now. I did some experimenting (with rheumy's permission, of course) in my dose timing. What works for me is taking 1 tablet in AM and a 2nd at bedtime. I usually eat an unsalted cracker just before taking them - something for them to "land" on in my stomach. After the first month, I've had no problems with them at all. They kicked in about week 2, and I was able to get out of bed without a lot of stiffness.

I have Sjogren's, too. You need to take special care of your teeth due to having drier saliva - a lack of saliva makes your teeth rot! I use a product called Biotene several times a day and always keep water handy and drink often (you know, the water, not....well, you get the picture).

I've also had chronic dry eye with the Sjogren's. First, I had to give up wearing contact lenses, then went to eye drops, then a couple of months ago when I went for my annual ophthalmologist check, I had tear duct plugs put in to prevent what little moisture my eyes do make from draining. Hasn't helped much yet, but I don't have to apply eye drops as often.

I've had a virus this week myself, and yesterday was sent to have chest x-rays. Turned out that I had a touch of pneumonia - not too bad. It's already begun to clear up with the use of inhalers and nebulizer treatments.

Glad you seem to be feeling better from your cold!

04/19/2012 04:06 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

I think I have to get a new script, CVS said that plaquenil only comes in 200mg "sigh" have to call the doctor tomorrow to see whats up with that, although its pricey there, 60.00 for 60 pills, of course that could change if its only taken once a day

04/19/2012 04:26 PM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

hey you can break the pill in half.Its a 200mg pill..

04/19/2012 04:46 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

breaking it in 1/2 will save $$ to, good idea heager

04/19/2012 07:30 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

Very good idea

04/20/2012 12:32 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I take 7.5 mg Deplin every day. Amounts to 30 per month. Cost for this is $80.00 per month.

My doc writes script for 15mg Deplin (30) which I break for a total of 60 doses. This costs me 49.00 per month because the cost for 30 15mg is $98.00.

Huge monthly savings.

04/20/2012 03:48 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I hate Plaq as much as Pred. I started Plaq about a year ago and am still only able to take half dose. I get terrible gas bloat from one pill. Both pills crippled me everytime I tried raising the dose but gas is my only side effect from it. Just a very painful one.

As far as splitting them....Plaq does not have the split line on them meaning they won't split evenly. It may not matter since you'll be taking both halves but be sure to take both halves of only the same pill. If you split a bunch of these at once, you could end up taking to much or not enough each day.

04/20/2012 04:41 AM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

My plaquenil have the split line. Must be a different drug company.

I have had some changes with side effects so I am staying off for a few days.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved