MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2012 12:46 PM

back of neck hurts when chewing???

Alby1977
Alby1977  

Was wondering, Everytime I have my head bent over slight or when I am eating my neck gets really sore and hurts, and also my jaw get tried after a while of chewing, as anyone ever experienced this??

04/16/2012 03:52 PM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

I've had it for years, but it was at it's worst last summer. Ended up that I had some damage to my teeth because of the RA. It caused inflammation of the gums, and with all the narcotics I'd been on for the past five years, several of my molars had cracked off to the gum line. I hadn't been able to have any dental work done in a LONG time - not since I was able to work (circa Jan 2004). Finally, I had them all cut out two weeks ago, and haven't had the jaw joint pain at all, but my neck still burns when I eat or talk a lot.

Of course my mom says it's allergies. LOL (My mom is obsessed by allergies - she thinks I actually fell down stairs and hurt my spine because I'd eaten something I was allergic to. Sheesh!) Oh, and allergies cause RA and MRSA infections as well.

04/16/2012 05:54 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

how nice,, it just causes lots of nasty things

04/16/2012 06:11 PM
jlynne66
jlynne66  

I have had that kind of neck pain on and off since January. Right now it hurts when I tip my head back, about two inches from the cervical column. Hurts like the dickens when I try to change positions when sleeping. Sometimes I have shooting pains to the top of my skull from it and every once in awhile it makes my right ear feel like there is an infection starting.

04/17/2012 03:17 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Any time you have new neck pain that is bothersome and doesn't go away, I would recommend a visit to your doc. Neurologist if you have one. To be checked for issues like OA, bone spurs, DDD, muscle problems, nerve issues.

I've been suffering with neck issues for years and the last 5 have been miserable. The last 2 have been crippling. Usually when I go quiet here for 4 to 5 days a week here now it is because I cannot hold my head up, have trigeminal nerve pain and swelling, a migraine, and so much pain thru neck, face, and shoulders I just want to scream and cry.

I haven't been able to tilt head forward, backward, or side to side for 5 years without pain. Now when I irritate it just by simple movements, there is no stopping it. I end up in a neckbrace and unable to get comfortable anywhere from 36 hours to weeks. My latest flare just ended yesterday morning. I had so much swelling in face, I almost went to ER. It used to be just my eyes and neck that swelled really bad with the face pain. Now it is the whole face. Instead I had son take pics that I will show Neuro and rheumy.

I was DX'd with DDD years ago and recently Cervical Dystonia. Just in the past year, my neck muscles have started twisting unnaturally leaving me almost always looking like I am trying to pull my spine back from the shoulders up and look up but not quite being able to do it. When I'm tired my neck and chin fall toward my chest which causes alot of pain. This is why they finally DX'd the Dystonia. Neck problems are nothing to ignore. If my case gets any more severe, they will pull my drivers license. I already don't drive alot of days for safety reasons. Neuro has asked about driving the last 2 appts. I think the only reasons he's left me alone so far is I tell him I only drive when I feel it's safe, my age, and the fact that I live alone and don't have anyone to drive me around.

I started out thinking I was just sleeping wrong. Then thought maybe I wasn't getting enough exercise. Then was sure the RA was the cause. Only the docs are going to be able to figure it out.

04/17/2012 05:25 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

I've had the pain off and on for quite a few years. I also, sometimes find my neck muscles, not my jaw, get tired when I'm chewing.

Donna, someone I know had trigeminal neuralgia and ended up having surgery. I understand it is very excruciating. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with that on top of all the other pain. You have got to be amazingly strong to be able to function as well as you do. you'll be in my prayers.

04/18/2012 03:31 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I'm angry that it's been the cause of this eyepain for 5 years and they just figured it out. The doc has mentioned nerve surgery if the Botox doesn't work out. The only other options after that is deep brain stimulation or radiation. I will never go to those extremes.

The PNH thru the mouth and ear from the Shingles is much better. It's been 11 months and I still need meds for it but it is healing slowly. It's the nerve pain in the eyes, from the cervical dystonia, that won't heal on it's own that we are battling now. I'll be happy when I don't have to deal with it from the Shingles as well.

I don't feel strong thru the episodes at all. I feel beat up, run down, stressed out, depressed, and sorry for myself. Then it ends, and I get a decent day or 2, and my mood picks up as long as the RA/MCTD isn't driving me crazy.

Take care of your necks. You need it.

04/18/2012 08:11 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

The cervical dystonia sounds painful...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved