MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2012 10:49 AM

I never knew

JACKIEH
JACKIEH  

on Sunday i broke a tooth, on Monday I phoned the dentist, today I saw the dentist, i told him I have RA and am on 2 immune suppressants, he looked at my tooth and said he will try to fix it without cutting the gum. I wanted to have my teeth cleaned as well, so i asked him if we could do the cleaning today and the filling the next day, but he did not want to, even for a cleaning he wanted me to take 2 antibiotic pills before hand. I never knew you were supposed to do that, I phoned my rheumy to check and he said that is was better that way. Learn something new everyday don't you?Devil

03/27/2012 11:28 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

My Dentist made me take an antibiotic just before I got the root canal and crown. I can only deduct that the infection(if one) would not be good for RA patients.Did you have to stop any RA medications?

I didn't understand why they didn't just pull a tooth that is so bad. I think there is more money in trying to save the tooth. I have second cracked tooth. The dentist wants to do the same stuff, but I don't. It's not the root canal that is bad, I don't like the crown.

It sounds like your teeth are better, I hope so CLAP

03/27/2012 02:08 PM
jlynne66
jlynne66  

You may want to read this:

http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james34.htm

I will never again get a root canal. I will have the tooth pulled first. Still trying to decide who to go to to pull the root canaled tooth.

03/27/2012 03:23 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

I would really like a copy of this and will set out to get it. Many Dentist in my area will not pull a tooth. They will look at root canal. I guess I have alot of dentist to call. wish me luck. CLAP

03/27/2012 03:36 PM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

I've got a dental appointment on Friday morning to begin the long (and extremely expensive) process of getting my awful teeth in order.

Since I am basically broke, and dental insurance doesn't help much, I am having 5 upper teeth pulled. Two will have to be surgically removed, as they are broken off at the gum line. The other three can be done the conventional way. I am also getting a root canal done on one of my very back molars. The furthest back molars will be used to anchor the partial denture plate that I will need to wear.

Since I have two metal knees and rods with screws in my spine, I always have to take antibiotics before having ANY dental work done - even a cleaning. There is always a chance my body will reject the implants, on top of the whole RAD thing.

Dentists will fight you tooth and nail to not pull your teeth. With me, it's a matter of finances - I would never be able to afford all the crowns I would need. I had to go to five different dentists before I found one that was sympathetic enough to do what I wanted. Not only that, he will also sedate me for the procedure. (I am NOT a good dental patient.)

03/28/2012 04:10 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I've done one root canal my whole life. It got infected and I ended up with a hospital stay for a week with severe gum infection and almost lost all my teeth. It came on fast. Teeth were all loose and it was painful. The last time the dentist told me I needed another one, I just had him pull it. This was 20 years ago though and things may have changed since.

My teeth since have been fine until the last 2 years. I'm sure it's a combo of the meds and flares but I'm needing some pretty hefty work done since last year. The Neuro still won't clear me for it because of the PNH in my face. No anesthesia allowed. So I worry my teeth are just going to rot.

Post edited by: gettingoldsucks, at: 03/28/2012 04:11 AM

03/28/2012 05:46 AM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

I took my daughter back to the dentist yesterday which is kind a funny. my daughter already had a root canal on this tooth 12 years ago never put a crown on it. Now it is infected needs another root canal so we just decided to go to an oral surgeon to have him pull it. I wanted to try to save the tooth but it cost alot of money and it will eventually some where down the road will have to be pulled.

I also needed a root canal when I first got dxed with Ra and I chose to have it pulled because I have read horrible things about root canals and auto immune disorders.

03/28/2012 10:18 PM
kat533novel
kat533novel  

Dear heagar1 and getting old sucks.

I am apparently pretty lucky thus far, I had to have a root canal last month and so far it has gone good. I have gone through the root canal, fill and cap and now on Friday will have the final cap put on. Other than being sore and achy, I really can't complain. I have however 4 other teeth that need tending to, cavities and fillings needed.

Clap and Jackieh - good luck with your search for a good dentist.

Kat

03/29/2012 05:34 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

heager- didn't the Endodontic (root canal Dr) put a temporary cap on the tooth? mine did.

a week later I had the final cap placed. The final cap was worse to deal with than the root canal. Still dealing with sensitivity of nerves. I won't do this again. CLAP

03/29/2012 08:46 AM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

no we never went back to the endodontist but he never said anything about putting temp cap. My daughter just wants the tooth pulled she has heard to many stories from co workers having problems.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved