MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/09/2012 01:02 AM

Remicade vs humira

fishinGirl52
fishinGirl52  

Hi all I'm 25 and have just started my ra "journey." I'm on lots of prednisone and I'm maxed out on methotrexate. The next step the doc wants to try is remicade. He also had thought maybe humira. Both seem expensive and scary. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated. Unsure

03/09/2012 07:17 AM
JaynieBeth
JaynieBeth  

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you were diagnosed with this awful disease so young. But hopefully, you'll be able to stop any further damage and there is always a chance of remission.

I was diagnosed in 2007 after having a knee replacement about 25 years too early. My rhuemy was hesitant to start me on any treatment due to other medical problems I have. I first started with Plaquenil in early 2010. After a major flare-up last summer, he finally started me on methotrexate injections. I've lost both knees and a shoulder to RA.

I'm pretty sure the next step for me is one of the biologics like humira or remicade. I can't give much opinion on one vs the other. On the idea of biologics in general, for any of them to work, you've got to actually TAKE them, LOL. I'm not too keen on getting them by infusion vs. sub-q/im injection. For an infusion, I'd have to drive into the next town (about 45 minutes), but I can give my own injections, since I already do the methotrexate and B12 (as well as procrit and/or aranesp for anemia) at home.

I think it's important to consider what will be easiest for you to comply with, more than anything. If you have a fear of needles, or don't think you'd be able to learn how to give yourself injections, then it might be better for you to have infusions. I have InFed infusions a couple of times per year for anemia, and I absolutely hate sitting still for a few hours while getting it at the infusion clinic (my joints start screaming after the first half hour).

Ultimately, it's something you have to decide for yourself, after researching treatments. And I can't emphasize enough that you MUST research. One of the worst things about this stupid disease is that you feel as if you're losing control of your body. The more input you have on your treatment, the better decisions your rheumatologist will be able to help you make.

Good luck with your research and decisions, and feel free to come here and vent as required! You'll find most of us very sympathetic, having been through much the same thing.

03/09/2012 07:23 AM
judylacy

i have tried humira and it did not work for me i have been on it and enbrel and orencia. i just started remicade and have only had one infusion of it. cant say it works or doesnt work because it is to soon. i know it sounds scarey and it is but know that many are on them and it is not as bad as it sounds. i know that with the remicade you get steriod shot before hand at least that is what my rhuemy does.

03/09/2012 08:41 AM
fishinGirl52
fishinGirl52  

I actually found out I have ra kind of backwards. I had a hip replacement from other complications and felt that It wasn't getting easier to walk or move around. My mom has it as well but very very badly. So its nice that she's so understanding and helpful. However I'm frustrated with the medicine, a rep called me from remicade and explained to me that it would cost $2100.00 out of pocket then once I paid that it would be covered. That's outrageous for me. I work as a waitress, yes its a horrible job for ra, I've been doing it for 5 years and my boss is a prick and highly unaccomidating. Having trouble finding a new one. (This reply has turned into a rant already... Not had much sleep from pain) I'm 25 and have a pill box, and none of them work. Something is wrong with that. its great to find this support group though... I feel like my friends have no clue about this disease. I apologize for the choppy reply!!!! Have a good day all Smile

03/09/2012 09:52 AM
progrmrgurl
progrmrgurl  

Hi FishinGirl, welcome to the group. I am so sorry to hear of your RA diagnosis so early in your life. It is especially hard when the medications are so expensive. I have been on Enbrel for about a year now. I almost pee'd myself when I saw how much it was. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have insurance.

Is it safe to assume you do not have insurance?

I did a little research and found a couple of prescription advocate companies that may be able to assist with getting the medications you can't afford. It might be worth looking into. The links are below:

Articles related to getting help with medications:

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20456466,00.html

Prescription Advocacy Sites:

http://www.myrxadvocate.com/

http://www.scbn.org/?gclid=CNi2uKCs2q4CFcRM4AodRUcEaw

https://www.pparx.org/

http://www.needymeds.org/

I know how hard all of this is for you, we all understand and we will do our best to help out if you have questions, just want to talk and of course feel free to rant anytime! LOL We all do, and it's a much needed outlet for us. I hope the information proves to be helpful.

Best wishes to you *hugs*

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved