MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/06/2012 07:18 PM

grasping or picking up things with fingers

Alby1977
Alby1977  

Hey there, was wondering if anyone in the group ever has trouble grasping like paper or picking things up with their fingers, plus when bending certain fingers the either lock or it feels like a bone or something is out of place?Sad

03/06/2012 08:48 PM
Northernelf

I definitely do ! Ziplocs suck - really hard to open, I use my teeth a lot. I have a pari of scissors handy so I can open things, & plastic clips from the dollar store to 'close' things.

03/06/2012 08:53 PM
bearlie
bearlie  
VIP Member

Yes. I have both OA and RA. The OA causes the finger joints to have a more boney growth appearance and they hurt and make grating noises. They also stop hurting when i stop moving them. The RA causes much puffing and makes my boney knuckles smooth and plump and shiney. When that's going on, the pain is constant no matter what i do. Right now my hands are taking turns. The left one hurts on the entire outer edge of my hand and if i do too much, the pain radiates up to my shoulder.

I find i have trouble picking small things up and that i constantly drop drinks and the like both because of finger problems and because of the lack of hand strength.

My finger joints and hand bones and wrists joints don't ever seem to move at the correct angle. they do better when they're nice and warm though.

03/06/2012 09:57 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

I to have the pain in the shoulders, that started in december. I woke up and I was like hmmm must have slept wrong, well when the achiness and pain didnt go away I knew there was something up.

03/06/2012 10:16 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

The first year or two after dx of RA(D) my hands and fingers were nearly useless. Many times Cassie or Chuck had to put my meds on my tongue because I could not pick them up.

I had to give up holding a book and that broke my heart. They or friends cut my food up so often I am suprised I remembered how to cut it.

There was no shaking hands at church or meeting folks and no holding hands with my husband.

When I was helped out of bed Chuk had to grab my arms below elbow to help me beause we couldn't use my hands.

I was able to type on computer as long as I didn't bend my fingers and kept them in the same position they were in. Any time I tried to make a fist, or anthing close to a fist, was not possible without exrutiating pain. As well as trying to straighten them.

But they did get better, much better. I can eat now, hold hands for a short time and hold a book for a very short time.

i can make a fist and straighten my fingers, again for a short time, but I can do it.

This is what I did that gave me back some use in my hands: I would fill the sink with very warm water and suds, take a dishtowel and ring it in my hands under water. The largeness of the towel was less strain on hands than a regular dishloth. The underwater was soothing and the heat allowed me to do exercise with much less pain.

There is such a difference in my hands now. No one told me to do this. I discoverd it by accident.

I hope all find relief from painful stiff hands.

Hugs

03/06/2012 11:37 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

wow,, I will have to try that tip. my problem is I am frustrated not only do I have the hand pain, my knees are the worst. I can barely walk up and down the steps, its getting hard to get in and out of the car, trying to find ways to stay comfortable is hard as well,, and we are not even going to talk about my back its hard to walk long periods of time and stand.

03/07/2012 12:51 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

For my knees I have high toilets, before that I had a toilet seat that sat on the toilet. I have a wide ramp on the front porch because it is too painful to use the steps.

I rarly go down to my basement so we bought a stackable washer/dryer installed in my dining room for me to do laundry. Before the old washer/dryer was downstairs.

I only sit in my comfy chairs with legs elevated at all times. Sitting in a regular chair for more than 15 mins causes excruitiating pain that lasts for hours.

Depending on how low the car is affects the pain in my knees. Chuck's dooly is far easier for me to get out of than my convertabile. To get in his truck I use a stepping ladder.

I let the car/truck seat out as far back as it will go. Less painful when my knees are not in a bent position and can stretch out plus I do circle exercises with my feet while riding.

I use my hoveround when things get really rough. I have a cane and walker but they hurt my hands. I used to have a manuel wheelchair but had to stop using it because of hands. Docs had no problem oking me a hoveround nor had any problems with insurane paying for it.

I am thankful for the freedom the hoveround gives me.

I use electric carts in shopping stores.

I use a well padded bar chair while I cook or wash dishes.

I, recently recieved a hospital bed and added an AP mattress overlay (my expense) and it is much better for my back but more so for the RA than my regular bed was. Used to be if I slept in my bed my shoulder would freeze up causing much pain.

I an adjust it where the pressure is off my shouder. and make a dip for my back by raising the lower part as well.

It also has air pressure bubbles that continuously inflate and deflate making it feel as if I am having a whole body massage.

I still sleep in my comfy chairs alot but can sleep in the hospital bed.

Insurance did pay for the bed. I paid for AP overlay matress.

Even using all this I still have to take pain meds and use pain creams (Vick's Salve for me). Plus stay within limits of everything. And rest hurting joints...sometimes using splints or braces.

I hope your pain gets much better dear. And you find easement.

Hugs

03/07/2012 04:08 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

my hands and wrists are tender to. I've been using ice. Turmeric is increased to 30 drops 3 times a day has helped with inflammation. I try to do Motrin every other day, but I will go to prescription meds. if needed. No Prednisone, family history is not good with this drug. Today I will try the warm water that bits suggested, if soaking my feet helps then soaking the hands should.

My hands don't want to hold thin things or pull things open. I keep a needle nose pliers in the kitchen. It gets the zip lock bags open.

I'm also fortunate that my older son wants to learn how to cook. the other day he realized I par boiled something. He knew what it was and asked more questions about doing it.

03/07/2012 05:55 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Though I have arthitis in many joints the worst for me is hands and jaws. Not that they hurt anymore than other joints but I am more aware of the pain there.

I can sit when lower body hurts. I can be still when upper body hurts. But i am a talker and laugher and use my hands constantly when I talk.

Chuck said if I couldn't use my hands while talking I wouldn't know how to communicate. LOL!

He's right.

The only thing that helps my jaws is to be absolutely quiet and pain meds. Very hard for me. Laughter is one of the stongest tools I have to deal with RAD.

To not be able to laugh is worse than not being able to talk or eat for me. I can't even smile during these times without too much pain.

But you know friends we do get thru it. We have to. Truly, we are RA Warriors.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved