MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/05/2012 07:43 PM

Newbie and I am a male

Alby1977
Alby1977  

My name is Albert I am 34, went to the docs last month at the end of the month and told him how I was feeling, so he ordered a course of blood work, he said it sounds like u have rheumatoid arthritis, sure enough went back for my follow up and I tested positive for that and my uric acid was elevated.

Now I am gonna be starting medicine called Methotrexate and Folic acid. I dont know about any of those meds. I go back to the doctors in april to see how this medicine is working. Hope it works wells.... Dizzy

03/05/2012 07:54 PM
Eldritch
Eldritch  

Hello and welcome. Nice to meet you, but sad about the circumstances.

MTX and folic acid are commonly the first meds to be used in RA.

Johns Hopkins website has a nicely done discussion about RA that I have found helpful.

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis-info/rheumatoid- arthritis/rheum_treat.html

they also have an informative video series.

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/patient-corner/ra-patient- education.html

Best wishes for rapid response to MTX and remission.

edited to correct http

Post edited by: Eldritch, at: 03/05/2012 07:57 PM

03/05/2012 08:03 PM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

thanks for that info, hope remission happens quick

03/06/2012 06:23 AM
erimou
erimou  

Hey Alby!

Welcome to the group! I hope you find some relief soon. Methotrexate is definitely a good drug. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions! Keep us updated on how you are doing!

03/06/2012 06:48 AM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

Hi Albert,

Welcome. I have been on Methotrexate (MTX) and Plaquenil as well as folic acid for over 2 years. I'm doing pretty well. The last time that I had a bad flare was over a year ago. You have been given folic acid to help in controlling side effects from MTX. I have had only one side effect and that was hair loss. I didn't lose a lot and if that's the only side effect, I can't complain.

Good luck with the meds and let us know how it all works out.

03/06/2012 08:31 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

Hi Alby, welcome to the family!

As Eldritch says, MTX is often a first choice drug, because of a good ratio benefits/side effects. Also, it has been around for a long while, so long-term effects have been studied plenty. Drs often refer to it as a golden oldie Smile I hope it goes well with you and helps you a lot.

We have other male members, hopefully they will step in and say hi

03/06/2012 09:32 AM
Alby1977
Alby1977  

I feel better knowing I am not alone. Will update more and keep everyone posted

03/06/2012 02:35 PM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Hi Albert and welcome to the group. I'm glad you found us and that your doctor has chosen to start you so soon on the Mtx. As others have said it's usually one of the first meds they try. Ive been on it now for about five years. I never had a problem with hair loss.

03/07/2012 01:52 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Hi Alby,

Welcome.

Since I agree with the others not much I can add.

You are not alone, my friend, we are right there with you.

Hugs

03/07/2012 04:57 AM
LiviesMom
LiviesMom  

Hello,

Welcome to the group! I have found a lot of support here. I also take MTX, along with other meds to treat my RA. I was concerned about starting it too, but have not had any side effects. Good luck to you, and I hope you find relief soon.

Leslie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved