MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/21/2012 05:26 AM

internet search and WebMD

barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

I have got to say I really don't know why people recommend WebMD or why it ranks so highly. Both doctors I have talked, materials I have seen written (brochures, etc from docs) and more credible web sites such as the Arthritis foundation say many things different from WebMD.

So it seems to only create confusion and has too much misinformation.

Now I am done ranting.

I did look up how many kinds of arthritis there are and the list was much longer than I expected. The list had only two links on the page and one was to osteoarth and the other to rheumatoid arth.

I looked at both and have to admit to be confused still, because I have the fatigue which may be from my bipolar (but it has gotten worse recently) and the arth foundation claims that the stiffness is in the morning which mine is not (actually morning is my best time) plus they say to keep the joints moving. Well it's moving them that creates the pain. They do advise aquatic exercise for the joints (especially the hip).

So I am thinking that the best thing for me might be to at least consult with a rheumatologist. Is that the correct term?

Post edited by: barelymanic, at: 01/21/2012 05:28 AM

01/21/2012 05:46 AM
aval7
aval7  

I agree it would be best for you Stiffness with RA doesn't have to be in the morning. Normally the stiffness is from lack of movement. If u sit for a period of time or lay down and then begin movement many do experience some stiffness throughout the day. The reason it occurs more in mornings is because generally speaking we are laying down n no movement for the longest period of our day. Generally my RA gets better the more I move my joints through the day but not necessarily does the pain get better. In a flare doesn't seem like anything I did helped. The inflammation is where most the pain is caused from. That is until u get damaged joints n it's a whole new ball game. I have deformities n my hands n feet not severe yet but noticeable n painful. I wasn't very art n stop my meds years ago put of fear of the side effects n now I have these issues but it was my choice to stop meds n stop seeing my Rheumy. I hope u find your answers n the help you need. Best wishes for us all a great pain free weekend.

01/21/2012 06:13 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

Yes, def go to a rheumy. Dx of AI illnesses is tricky, even for good professionals, and more so if you have other health issues. She/he will run tests which might help see if there is anything AI, plus check on symptoms

01/21/2012 07:08 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

What does AI stand for?

01/21/2012 07:21 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

Oh, sorry Smile it means autoimmune. RA is AI. It means your immune system attacks healthy tissue mistakenly taking it as an outside threat (like bacterias or viruses)

Another thing that distinguishes RA from OA, besides the fatigue, and the ill-feeling, flue-like symptoms, is that it usually affects the same joint in both sides of body (it is symetrical) and usually affects several joints. Although i have actually met ppl with symetrical OA, it is not usual.

01/21/2012 08:48 AM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

Well there I have it in both thumbs, so yep either unusual or misdiagnosed. As far as I know also in hip but pain is a low level for now. Problem is by the time I feel the pain the situation is pretty seriously progressed.

So who knows how many other places I may or may not have it.

01/21/2012 09:40 AM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

Barelymanic, people should avail themselves of all information at their disposal so they're able to make informed decisions. If we're just given one or two sources of information, I don't think we're able to do that.

I haven't personally found that all information on WebMD is erroneous, however if you're of the opinion that it is then it's certainly your prerogative to not utilize the site.

If one person gleans one piece of information that is useful to them, then we have provided them a beneficial service. It is rare that we agree with or able to utilize ALL of the information in an article anyway.

The same with doctors .. they aren't Gods, they are not perfect, nor do they always have the latest pieces of medical information available.

So, it is not my intent to confuse and misinform the members of this group. It is to give them options in information. They can then decide what they feel is useful and what is not.

01/21/2012 02:15 PM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

I have appreciated everything you post and have read every article each and every time you post it.. thank you

01/21/2012 02:19 PM
barelymanic
barelymanic  
VIP Member

You are welcome. I think someone was unhappy with what I said about WebMD, but it's the truth. I would believe the arthritis foundation first and I know from experience how long a crown can last and it depends on both the type and how much force you chew with and how good the dentist is, etc.

That is only two examples of errors I have found on WebMD. you can only make an informed decision if you are properly informed of the truth which unfortunately is mostly that we are all different. But there are some things that are a given with the exception of a very few.

Thank you heager1 for letting me know.

01/21/2012 03:23 PM
aval7
aval7  

I've found the site very informative. Thanks karen. I use webmd to be informed not as a cure or DX I leave that to my doctors

@ heager1 I agree karens post are very informative.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved