MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/27/2009 09:54 AM

Coenzyme Q10

L1969

I've had a recent RA flare a few days after starting Coenzyme Q10, 100mg/day. Does anyone have experience with this supplement? (I've read it stimulates ATP production and boosts the immune system.)

01/27/2009 01:58 PM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Welcome L1 and sorry you are flaring. I am going to have to research my thinking but it seems to me that because of RA the immune system is already working wrong so if you speed it up it's just gonna speed up whats working wrong and put you in a flare. Isn't this why the drugs they use lower the immune system even more so that doesn't happen?

I'm fairly new to RA and I am still learning so i could also be way off in my thinking.

hugs

01/29/2009 08:22 AM
singingangel

My past rheumy told me that it wouldnt hurt to use that supplement. That it could help improve our immune system. Sometimes I wonder if the drs. even know what they are doing to us.

01/30/2009 07:12 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I have some questions. How can we improve our immune systems when the RA meds are supressing them? What do they mean by improving? If it is to make it stronger how can you do that while in supresstion? I really don't understand this. Somebody, help please.

01/31/2009 02:25 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Bits, that's my line of questions too. Which leads me back to my thinking that if boosting the immune system would help RA then why are the RA meds suppressing it? Makes me wonder if you boost it, will you also boost the disease activity? I researched this CoQ10 and didn't find that there is much research done on it. But I also didn't find that it could hurt either. More questions for docs.

01/31/2009 08:47 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

This is all so confusing. Since the immunity has gone wild and is attacking joints and the way to CONTROL this is to suppress immunity, wouldn't it be counter-productive to increase immunity? Somebody help me...I'm getting dizzy! LOL

01/31/2009 09:13 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

As i've always understood these supplements is: (and this is just me, i haven't read it anywhere, it just makes sense to me this way) Our immune system is a bit confused, right? (actually i always joke around that i have a dumb immune system Smile ) It thinks our joints are an outside enemy. The supplements might or might not help to make it smarter. But they are not powerful enough to exacerbate it and make the RA worse. Now i read myself it doesn't make that much sense to me! Laughing

I just know whatever supplement of that type i've tried, it doesn't harm (or help, for that matter)

01/31/2009 11:09 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

LOL. Cata, after reading your post a few times...I think I got it. I am still laughing at you confusing yourself. LOLLOL. Hugs, friend.

03/03/2009 05:33 AM
Cyrusray

My doctor has had me on it for a month....I don't see

any difference.....but it must be doing something. I do

get tired of swallowing large pills like these though.

03/03/2009 05:35 AM
Cyrusray

I am beginning to think it is trial and error for them

also.....Perhaps it would help if they joined this site

and picked up a little info on ALL of us....

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved