Ask a Question
01/12/2012 08:01 AM

what vitamins should a person with RA take daily

heager1
heager1Posts: 298

just curious what everyone takes and anything good to fight fatigue

01/12/2012 08:21 AM
judylacy

i take a good multivitamin i also take vitamind and a good vitamin b and i take coq10 for the fatigue it seems to help with mine. i also take calcium and vitamin c.

01/12/2012 08:35 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

It seems I take more vitamins than prescribed meds. Most are b/c of low levels shown in tests, some just make sense for my age.

Calcium

Vit D,

Iron,

B complex has helped with my fatigue b/c it helps my body absorb nutrients,

Vit C,

Fish oil,

Turmeric for inflammation.

Folic Acid is good for growing cells. I used to advise it for pregnant women when in the Preg Resource Cnt. Makes sense with RA.

Blessings, CLAP

01/12/2012 12:47 PM
aval7
aval7  

I take. Folic acid, a multi vitamin, vit D and it's help my energy level a lot I think the vitamin D really made a huge difference. My blood test showed Have a low level of D. My dr said most Americans do.

01/12/2012 01:52 PM
heager1

maybe after I get on the MTX and knock some of this inflammation down I will be less tired.

01/12/2012 04:31 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

I didn't notice the MTX help with fatigue. I take 1cc once a week. CLAP

01/12/2012 04:50 PM
Turtlemom3
Turtlemom3  

I'm older, so I take a number of vitamins and minerals and supplements:

A good Senior multivitamin once daily

Os-Cal with extra D3 twice daily - for my bones

Mega B-Complex - 2 in morning for help with fatigue

L-Lysine 500 mg twice daily - to reduce the incidence of mouth and rectal ulcerations and sores

Zinc 50mg twice daily - same reason as the L-Lysine

Vitamin C 5000 mg daily - same reason as the L-Lysine and Zinc

I also eat oatmeal daily or twice daily - "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" cooked down to mush and sweetened with splenda and with some cream on top - sometimes some fruit in season. - Same reason as the L-Lysine, Zinc and Vitamin C

Of course, I take Folic Acid; my rheum doc believes in his patients keeping their hair, and keeps upping the dose as high as needed to stop hair loss. It is very individual for each patient. He ended up rx'ing 5mg / day for me (3mg am and 2 mg pm)

I hope all realize we each take what works for us for reasons that make sense to us.

01/12/2012 09:19 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I take 1-2 B12 injections weekly, 10,000 units of VitD weekly, cranberry supplements, folate (deplin).

My doc, also, told me even people in sunny states like California and Florida have low VitD levels because sun screen blocks out the good as well as bad.

I was told to sit outside 15 mins per day with sleeveless top and shorts on and no sunblock to restore and keep levels up.

The only thing I ever took that restored my energy was Enbrel. When I could no longer take it and asked for help to control overwhelming fatigue I was told there are meds out there for this BUT they affect the cardiovascular system.

I do not want to add anything else to my growing lists of health problems.

When I had remission for 3 months all fatigue as well as pain (from RA) was gone. And as stated Enbrel stopped fatigue. So this tells me if we have good control of RA fatigue will leave.

Hugs

01/13/2012 07:03 AM
judylacy

does tumeric help a lot with the inflamation i cant take anti-inflamatory meds and have been looking for something to help with that and had not heard of this yet so just wondered

01/13/2012 07:32 AM
heager1

I have been told that tumeric does help. I was going to look into it more

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved