MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/10/2012 12:28 PM

I have a question about migraines and RA

sl1k2togpsso

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a correlation between RA and migraines? I used to get them when I was a child and into my pre-teen years but then they stopped for years. Now ever since I started having flares I've been getting them again. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or something I should mention to my RA doc. Also I was wondering if this could affect the ears, because mine have been doing some weird things lately. Any information would be helpful, I really don't want to get myself worked up into a tizzy over nothing. I am a bit of a drama queen.

01/10/2012 03:05 PM
kvnj
kvnj  
Group Leader

01/10/2012 06:11 PM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

Thanks Kim, I had to read all of them. Not surprised to learn Headaches are a symptom of RA "in some cases" Most of the headaches are started in the neck where joints can effect pain. I don't get them but having epilepsy any thing on the brain is of interest.

Sl I hope they help you understand. Blessings CLAP

Post edited by: claphappy, at: 01/10/2012 06:19 PM

01/11/2012 04:03 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Whether RA can or cannot cause migraines itself, I do know that many related factors of RA can trigger them. Vitamin deficiencies, poor diet from loss of appetite, dehydration, medicines, stress, lack of sleep...

My Rheumy stops any med I report is triggering migraines for me.

I have sympathy for anyone who suffers even one migraine. I get them weekly and in between, a midgrade headache stays with me most days. I can irritate the crap out of it and blow it into a migraine just bending slightly, sneezing, or coughing. Forget computers, reading, puzzles, driving, tv, light, or noise. Have had them since i was 12. My consultation appt. for Botox treatment is next Wed. Nurse said shots may start that day but it may take 2 to 3 treatments (3 months apart) to get relief but many patients report relief first treatment. I really hope I fall into that group. I will also be getting them in neck for disc and muscle pain. The bonus to this, and I did not know this, until I researched it last week.......it also gets rid of facial wrinkles because the shots go into the face and forehead...woot! woot! In just the last year, I have what I call the chronic pain forehead. Wrinkles are bad from so many headaches and eye pain.

01/11/2012 06:31 AM
Cata
Cata  
Group Leader

I know what you mean about the "chronic pain forehead"! The expressiion just lingers there, and of course marks the lines. You think to yourself "i am feeling better today!" then you look at yourself in the mirror at there it is, the pain forehead... I have always practiced in the mirror to try and achieve what i call a "Nicole Kidman forehead". She gets her placid forehead with botox. Now you will be like her Smile

Question: i get headaches from the tension in my neck. They start at the nape of the head and go up and round the head to forehead. They are not migraines, just headaches. Would botox help with that? Is there something else, less invasive, that could help? I have to keep using the computer because most my work involves one

01/11/2012 07:17 AM
sl1k2togpsso

Wow knjv,

Thank you for the articles. I do actually lactate all the time. When I was 15 I was diagnosed with a pituatary adenoma. Recently my psychiatrist put me on Seroquel which is known to cause lactation, I am now very much thinking that this medication may be responsible for my migraines and possibly a return of the tumor. I can't thank you enough for doing the research that is so helpful. Now I have information to give my rheumatologist that will probably help more than my irrational fears. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

01/11/2012 07:43 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Yes Cata, it is being used for tension headaches as well. Here's a good article on it and what requirements are. Not everyone gets approved for it but as long as there is a history of complaints and failed treatments with meds it shouldn't be a problem. It's expensive. $1250.00 a vial plus treatment and doc fees. I added a 2ndary insurance policy to cover what Medicare doesn't so I could try this.

www.fauquierent.net/headache.htm

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved