MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/22/2009 12:54 PM

Foods that aggravate Rheumatoid Arthritis.....

booklover

[b]Hi, Everyone! Smile

I was researching things that aggravate Rheumatoid Arthritis and wanted to share this information with you. This is what I found:

The most common foods that may result in aggravating Rheumatoid Arthritis:

Corn, beef, wheat, saturated fats, salts, milk and other dairy products. Avoid rich fatty foods, hydrogenated & partially hydrogenated oils, saturated fats and fried food which may make the internal environment of joints more acidic which can result in inflammation and pain in the joint. Blink

In addition, eggplants,tomatoes,potatoes,red meat,eggs,coffee,alcohol,excess salts and foods that are high in oxalic acid such as plums,rhubarb,chard,spinach and cranberries. W00t

Now, I don't know about you, but, after I read this article I wondered, "What is left for me to eat?" I don't know how much I believe about all these foods aggravating RA, but, I do believe that there are certain foods that should be avoided. So, I thought it would be a good idea for all of us to keep a combination food/pain diary. That way, we can see what we've eaten on the days we've had a lot of pain. Shocked

I hope this helps all of us, and that we can work together in reducing our pain. Kissing

God Bless,

booklover

01/23/2009 06:08 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

That pretty much wiped out everything I eat. I will say I have always been big on milk (bout 2 gallons aweek) and i have cut way back on it since I do notice I feel better some without it. I have also cut out diet pop completely.

01/23/2009 10:53 AM
booklover

Hi, Smile

That's why I thought it would be more helpful if we kept a food diary, so that we will see what we've eaten on days we've had a lot of pain. I'm going to write my daily food intake in my diary here, so that we can share information with each other. Smile

10/27/2012 09:07 AM
reggieb

I have recently noticed that eating chocolate has certainly aggravated but then again it has also got very cold which I find is also causing severe pain.I have terrible pain ans swelling in my right hand and arm for two days and nothing gives me any relief.Can anyone suggest any relief.Thanks.Reggie

10/28/2012 05:57 PM
Angelodious
Angelodious  

Aside from medicine, perhaps applying ice would help your pain and swelling? If you do, apply it for 20 min at a time, remove it, and then let your skin warm naturally before applying it again. This process can be repeated several times a day. I hope you feel better!

I quit eating meat right after I was diagnosed because so may studies suggest that meats intensify the pain. Believe me, I LOVE meats, especially a good, thick steak... So last night I decided to splurge at a family celebration and I ate a steak... I have felt so sick today. I'm in pain too, besides just the exhaustion and malaise. Sad I thought just one wouldn't hurt anything.... maybe it didn't? I dunno. I'm going to keep a food journal now so that I can see trends etc.

11/21/2012 09:10 AM
badgurrrl
badgurrrl  

OMG! food does play a critical role in our bodies... but to see it in b&w YIKES! i too... cut out all sodas, sweets, never did like milk, red meat... i've been told lean high protin meat... is gud...and low fat is important...black tea or green tea is gud gud gud....all around gud...decaffinated even better... we do have to be so aware of every single thing that goes into our bodies... THANKS for the article...Cheerful

11/21/2012 02:19 PM
AnnePichler

Arthritis.org says...

"Overall, eat a balanced, healthy diet. Although scientific studies have not proved that diet changes either cause or relieve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, studies do show that a wide variety of foods, from strawberries to olives to fish, can help reduce RA inflammation, while selenium and vitamin D may have preventative effects."

Smile

Anne

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved