MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/19/2011 11:03 AM

sinus infections or something else

heager1
heager1Posts: 298

How many of you have battled sinus infection? I have had a sinus infection for 6 months. The only thing I'm on right now is prednisone. I have had numerous infections for awhile now and have taken antibiotics and within a few weeks it comes back. I have yellow mucus? I was wondering if it could be coming from my lungs. I don't feel like I have a sinus infection. I don't feel like I have anything wrong with my lungs but I cough yellow mucus especially in the morning.I have seen an ENT three times in 6 months and now made appt with a infectious disease dr. because thats what rheumatologist wants me to do. I started a z pack thursday and the side effects are not good for me so I stopped after one pill. my body is very sensitive to most meds..

12/19/2011 11:22 AM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

I haven't had many sinus infections, but I do know that coughing up yellow mucus, it is probably because it was draining from your sinuses. It's called post nasal drip and it is very annoying. Yellow mucus is much, much better than green smelly mucus, so I don't think you need to worry too much. Hopefully you are soon rid of this infection.

Stay in touch.

12/19/2011 01:23 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I have few sinus problems/infections (Thank God) so can't comment on them first hand. However, Chuck has battled for years.

Sinus infection is not ok and needs antibiotic treatment. Sinus drainage is annoying but not dangerous. BUT if left untreated usually becomes infected.

Could pred be suppressing ability to heal? Or is the pred needed to lessen inflammation?

Seems like 6 months is a very long time.

Are there allergens around you? Smoke, dust, animals, etc.? Are you consuming dairy products? Is your outside area full of plants, flowers, grasses that promote allergies?

All of the above can keep a sinus problem active.

After we replaced carpet with Pargo, replace heating/cooling filters every 3 weeks, and brush animals daily Chuck has far less sinus problems than before.

But...he still has them.

Are you taking (doc approved) allergy meds? Allergy meds help him alot because he loves sitting outside and we do have a high concentration of allergy causing triggers.

If we can keep the irritants at bay he has far less chance of developing infection.

However, because he has chronic sinus he does develop infections occassionally.

I'm sorry you have been battling for such a long time. I've watched my hubby battle but don't think it was anywhere as long a time as you are experiencing.

Look around your space and see if there are triggers. If you can get rid of them, or try to lessen them.

Hopefully, the doc you will be seeing can help alot.

Hugs

12/19/2011 04:16 PM
Molly5
Molly5  

heager.....I have about 2-3 sinus infections every year starting in the fall when school starts. Sometimes I have to go off of my Enbrel injections and methotrexate. I hate this because it just sets me back. I'm doing better this year....I try to keep up on the allergy meds day and night if I feel I need them. I also use a humidifier in our bedroom and use nasel spray before I go to bed. Sometimes I use the netty pot to rinse my sinuses. I sometime end up on the z-pack. I feel for you Sad Sad Sad Sinus infection is not fun and can really make you feel terrible. Best of luck getting rid of it!

12/19/2011 05:07 PM
tonyaraz
tonyaraz  

I get sinus infections at least once every 2 months. Right now I am battling one that started in early November. I have had 2 rounds of anitbiotics and the dr put me on 30mg pred for 3 weeks, supposedly to dry it out. But it didn't work. I have yellow and green sometimes mixed with blood. I do have severe allergies but I know this is an infection, because I have the sinus headaches and pressure which I don't get with allergies. The dr said I am "all snotty" and the drainage in my ears and throat is terrible. 6 months seems like a long time, it could be allergies. I have been tested 3 times by 3 different dr's and they all said I was only allergic to 5-6 things. Then this year I had another test and it showed I was allergic to just about everything. It was done transdermally- think like a TB test only about 108 times on the long bone of the arm.

12/19/2011 06:41 PM
heager1
heager1Posts: 298

I did allergy testing a few years ago I was allergic to mold and dust mites. doc said mold is every where. I just need to get this straightened out so I can try the MTX and try to function. I'm sure its going to be a vicious cycle on going.

TONYRAZ I don't even feel sick or get the headaches or pressure I just cough the yellow in the morning I had green mucus 2 months ago. you for sure sound like an infection. mine is just starting and I was afraid to start the MTX and get sicker and then stop treatment. What kind of antibioctics did you take tonyaraz?

12/19/2011 08:37 PM
tonyaraz
tonyaraz  

I was on bactrim and I can't remember the other one. I would thing about getting allergy tested again, ask for the transdermal ones. I know it is a pain, literally. have you Tried allegra or zertec?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved