MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/10/2011 10:11 PM

EYES

bits
bits  
VIP Member

I have a question. If you have Sjorgren can you still have itchy, burning, gritty, painful eyes that will weep?

Today, my eyes, right one worse, are doing all the above. When right one gets really bad light hurts it. And I feel sick. Different sick than RA sick.

I tried dipping a paper towel in ice water and it helps alot. But as soon as I have to stop everything returns. I have slept every few hours after awakening...very unusual for me. And within 5 mins eyes start the same thing over.

I am hoping I don't have Sjorgren and this proves it, but something is going on. Anyody have an idea?

Hugs

09/11/2011 03:14 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I don't know Bits. I get that dry gritty eye thing alot in flares and then at night while I sleep it's like all the moisture leaks out of them and I wake to wet face and pillow. Then right back to completely dry all day. my Rheumy runs the SJ tests on me every few months and all has been negative so far.

When do you get test results?

09/11/2011 05:11 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Eyes have stopped leaking and itching but they feel like air has been or being blown in them, right one worse. I don't know how long it takes to get results. I had it done Wed.

09/11/2011 08:17 AM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

It could be many things. You could have an eye infection, so maybe you should get checked out. We always assume that anything going wrong is our RA or other chronic stuff, but you don't want to have long term problems with your eyes. Is there somewhere you could go today? I hope so, and let us know what's going on, ok?

09/11/2011 09:38 AM
Avalonia

Haven't been tested for SJ but my eyes are dreadful during flare - blood vessels inflamed etc. Improved heaps when put on Pred. Avalonia

09/11/2011 03:53 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Truth is I hope it is something besides Sj. I have been in a flare since Thursday (from doc appointment), but is better.. If eye prolem doesn't completely stop I will go to doc tomorrow. I will keep you informed.

Even if I have Sj there are no meds rheumy can give me to try and control it. Cuss word! I can not express the frustration I feel or fears. But...God is good and he replaces the fears and frustrations with somehow reminding me He is aware of all and I am not without hope.

09/11/2011 06:56 PM
cella
cella  

I have Sjogrens, and my eyes feel gritty, dry, and sometimes burn, I am also very sensitive to light.

I haven't experienced the weeping or dripping of the eyes yet, but that does not mean that its not part of the condition..

The Restasis drops the Rheumy prescribed does help, and also the moisturizing tears. I am just starting Evoxac which is for Sjogrens and is supposed to help with the dry mouth.

I am also concerned because I have cataracts that I had to put off having surgery on because of my job...can't hold off much longer...as my eyes are getting worse...my ophthalmolgist let me know that I have two different types of cataracts in each of my eyes...

As I am having varied thoughts tonight...I tried to remember when was the last time that I only had one ailment to concern myself with?...

Honestly, I feel like I have multiple health concerns going on more and more as time goes by....

Ever feel like every time you turn around something else is brewing healthwise?...geez....what ever happened to the days of just going to the doctor for your once a year wellness physical?...or the days of not having to take RX meds....I can remember throwing out aspirin that was outdated because I didn't need to use it often enough...

09/11/2011 10:49 PM
rosie57
rosie57  

Hi! I am always in a state of confusion w the ever changing R.A. & all the "surprises" that she brings w her. ( I also have systemic lupus ) I do have Sjorgens & suffer from dry, itchy, gritty eyes, blurred vision & light sensitivity. Just recently I have started to have extremely watery eyes..so much that it looks like tears running down my face but this only happens at night !! I am going back to Rheumy this wk. & hopefully he will be able to explain. I thought you could only have either the dry or watery eye symptoms not both. Don't know if I did anything but further confuse you..but we are all in this together. Frustration has become a close buddy..but I am still always hopeful for us all...hang in there friend

Post edited by: rosie57, at: 09/11/2011 10:51 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved