MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/09/2011 07:31 PM

Spine problems...

cella
cella  

HI all

I have had practically constant pain in my spine, especially when sitting or laying down....used the heating pad alot..

Let me go back to what I think is the beginning...

A little over a year ago, I slipped on the tile floor in my foyer, and my feet went flying up from under me, and my head went back and hit the sharp edge of the wall, and then my spine slammed down on the tile, when I woke up which was just minutes...I realized I could hardly get up, and my head was pounding and as I touched the back of my head because it hurt so bad, my hand had blood on it..yikes!..I tried to call my hubby 3 times before I got it right...luckily he was just minutes away and brought me to the emergency room...they stitched up my head..and took a cat'scan of my head, and x-ray of my spine...

My spine was badly bruised, but did not show anything....I had a concussion and the worst headache I have ever had....

Anyway, my point is that since then I have had low back problems...

told doctors and just got more meds....finally went to my primary care doc...and he ordered MRI's of my lumbar spine, hips and pelvis...

I go for them tomorrow...so, I am anxious to find out why this pain has really increased since they saw nothing originally?...

I know what ever it is stems from the fall because its the same pain in the same area that I had the injury in....

Anyone have spine problems, and if so, what did you do to resolve them?

09/10/2011 04:45 AM
Raoul
RaoulPosts: 4195
VIP Member

Hi Hun

You have allowed the muscles supporting the spine to take a set and you need to see a chiropractor to help you put the bones back where they belong and to keep putting them back for a few months to let the muscles adjust the spine to where it belongs. Otherwise the muscles will just keep putting the bones back where they are now.

Further, you need anti-inflamatory meds to help to reduce the pain problem. And of course pain meds.

Please join the sciatica support group (in addition to the RA group) so that some of the other issues that will come up can be better addressed.

hugs, Raoul

09/10/2011 03:18 PM
cella
cella  

Thanks Raoul for the info...

I will search the sciatica site...

I had my MRI today with and without contrast .....it took two and a half hours of constant pain....while I had to lay still on what felt like a concrete slab of an MRI machine...It started at 8:30 a.m. and by 10:30 am...I could not take it anymore, as I had been in increasing pain from the start that went from pain throbbing, to burning, to numbing and then to almost tears. I know I have a high pain tolerance from my experiences of the past with RA...

This technician was only interested in getting these films completed as I was told it would take about 3 hrs...

While I knew it would be painful, I did take a pain med ahead of time, which did nothing....so, I endured the pain at the beginning...but by the end of the 2nd hour I yelled to the techie that I needed to stop and take a break, that my spine was killing me.

This was before the contrast was injected...surely I could take one break before the contrast?....NO!...he told me I needed to just do a few more films and then I could take a break....I was on the verge of tears....as it felt like I had a tennis ball on my spine and that I was laying on it with pressure....

I again told the techie and finally after over 2 hours he brought me out of the MRI and let me use the bathroom and he didn't even help me get up from the frozen painful position I had to be in for that length of time...

As I got up the pain was intense and I felt like I needed to stretch my spine, I probably should have yelled at this techie, but I just wanted to get this over with....

When I was finally finished...It took me time to get up, and I could hardly stand...the techie did not say much...as I knew he could see by the look on my face that I was not happy...

Well, I am at home for 5 hours already, and my pain is still constant...

cant sit too long, (even with the heating pad and meds)...can't stand too long, can't lay on either hips....and also my RA in my hands and shoulders is flaring....

I need to report this techie, as he ignored my pleas for stopping the MRI at a reasonable time for a break....I have had many MRI's, CATs, X-rays, ultrasounds, and this was a tech that didn't bother explaining anything....

I upset, sorry, but, my spine is more inflamed, and I am mad at myself for not letting him know how I feel....but, I just felt so sick, I wanted to get out of there and get home....

Thanks for listening....

09/10/2011 03:52 PM
PauleR
PauleR  
Group Leader

Dear Cella,

That MRI tech is an a**. There was no need to treat you like that and if you have the energy to do so, I would report him.

I hope your pain doesn't last too long. You so don't need the extra pain and stress.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

09/10/2011 05:04 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

cella, something is wrong with that tech and he needs to e reported. I am sorry you had to endure so much pain and still hurting badly.

Raoul is an expert on back issues. The sciatica group helped me very much with sciatica and all things to do with back issues. I wish I could say Raoul obtained all his back knowledge from being a doctor, but he didn't...he obtained knowledge from being stricken with back issues and learned many ways to help himself as well as many, many others.

Hugs

09/11/2011 03:17 AM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

Cella, I've had to use that button thing while in an MRI, to call for a break, and the machine was stopped and I was brought out immediately for a break. That tech you had was a complete ahole. Even if stopping it at that moment meant redoing a certain amount of scans again he should have given you that choice and explained it to you. Jerk!

09/11/2011 04:02 PM
cella
cella  

HI All

Thank you for your support, and I agree the technician was an uncaring person, and many expletives go along with that...

Its Sunday, and I have taken my pain meds faithfully, and have my heating pad on...

It seems that I can't sit too long, can't stand too long, and if I lay down, I pay dearly when I try to get up...

I did have the spine problem before I went in for the MRI, but being in a frozen state of Hell for over 2 hours with no break, and no one listening to me, just inflamed whatever is going on in the spine...

I have had MRI's before, and did have the button that you could push for help, this time for whatever reason, the Techie did not give me one...

I guess what annoys me is that as we struggle with RA everyday, and try to plan ahead, some people that are so called "professionals" don't have the compassion to help, just a little, or even try to understand.

I struggle in my mind between enduring pain and not saying anything, and just yelling out to these inconsiderate people, and believe me, I usually try to endure as much pain as I can take before saying anything because I realize that most people do not understand how pain affects us daily....

Well, thanks again, my back has not recovered yet, but, I am hopeful that time will help me regain my wellness...

09/12/2011 10:00 PM
scorpioj
scorpioj  
VIP Member

cella,

I hear you!! I hope you get relief soon. Take good care of you.

Sending hugs and healing wishes,

scorpioj

09/14/2011 06:51 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Please report that tech. You didn't have a button to call for help? I have never heard of such. Apparently, he was in a hurry for "whatever" or was just a cold sadistic creature.

I have had several MRIs (one last week) and have always had a button. I have used that button a time or two and was immediately taken out and whatever problem I had was resolved.

I wonder how many people that tech has tortured. Yes, he needs to be stopped.

I hope by now you are having some easement.

Hugs

09/14/2011 09:05 AM
claphappy
claphappy  
Group Leader

Cella, so sorry you had to endure this treatment from a tech. When are the results due? I hope they find what is giving you so much pain.

I have never had an MRI, yet RA DR. is talking about it on my head. You all have helped me know what to watch for

Report that guy soon.

Copy and paste your post to Word perfect. Add other important information. SEND

Blessings CLAP

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved